COVID Exposure Notification System

hookedonthefly

First, let me say that I'm not for or against contact tracing. I believe it to be a personal decision; however.... I'll just say a Dr. buddy and I do look at available research. I'll keep this as basic as possible. A link provided will offer more understanding of the testing methodologies...a bit long, you might need an IPA to make it through.

One of the challenges is the type and accuracy of PCR testing; and especially, the time to get results. In one study the false positive (positive predictive value) and false negative (negative predictive value) are both <90% (edited- wrong button on keyboard). Another study shows a false positive rate of 47.1% and false negative rate at 26.2%. Another study had a positive predictive value of only 17.1% with negative predictive value of only 16.3%.

A description of the types of testing can be found at How accurate are the covid tests? - Sebastian Rushworth M.D. This is not a peer-reviewed study; but, provides good information in my opinion.

Another resource is pubmed.gov. These are peer-reviewed studies or abstracts. You can search anything for medical.

One thing we don't really understand is how SARS-CoV-2/COVID-19 is transmitted. Coughing, breathing, supply chain, contact with anything we bring into our homes from someone that has touched a product we bring into our homes. Think about that. We also do now believe there are multiple strains of this S+.

People ask if I wear a mask and do I believe masks work. No.
I used to be a parachute rigger, I can sew. I wear two. One N-95 plus one over the N-95 that I designed and sew which puts me at N-99 probably. For a virus that can be potentially transmitted for 30 meters, the stupid little bandana is not gonna work.

I know there are physicians out there...please feel free to comment...I don't need a safe space and always willing to learn.
Peace, Ed

Last edited:

Matt B

WFF Supporter
Just a note, if you have a perfectly working iPhone 6, like me, this app and service won’t work on it, since you’ll be stuck at iOS 12 probably forever. iPhone 6s, you can still update your iOS, so you can use the contact tracing app.

hookedonthefly

This is slightly off topic; but I believe important. This goes for cognitive disorders in general; but, consideration of post-SARS-CoV-2/COVID19 neurological effects. My Brother-In-Law anecdotely says he has seen a difference. No studies. Nootropics, specifically Piracetam and Piracetam-like drugs for “the fog”.

hookedonthefly

This article highlights some of the “shortcomings” of SARS-CoV-2/COVID19 PCR testing. Thus, contact tracing could be essentially worthless.

Chucker

Chucking a dead parrot on a piece of string!
This article highlights some of the “shortcomings” of SARS-CoV-2/COVID19 PCR testing. Thus, contact tracing could be essentially worthless.

Not exactly the most reliable news source there!

flybill

A collector never stops collecting!
WFF Supporter

How is contact tracing useless? Unless you mean how the app functions. As an essential worker, I was potentially exposed everyday and I had to wear a mask at all times on the floor of the store I worked in. Originally when I came back from my leave, gloves as well. Damn hands would sweat the whole time! I must have changed gloves once an hour. Would take them off, wash and dry my hands, and put a new set on.. sucked as much as the mask!

I've since then had some great masks made that help, but sometimes I just get a standard mask since they're light and not as hot.

Some of my friends would wear two masks, which doesn't work for me and still wear gloves to avoid all of the shit people touch while shopping.

For all of us, contract tracing in any form is a godsend! We have no idea who we've been in contact with if we get COVID19 or think we were exposed.

At my former job, Total Wine, has signs saying you're required to wear a mask CORRECTLY, but doesn't enforce it or kick people out which is annoying. When I would have someone ask me for help and they didn't have a mask on or on correctly, I would like them know I can't help them until they put one on and on over their nose and mouth. If they don't have a mask, I tell them we have up front and even offer to get one. Most of the time they just forgot, hell I've done it before I've walked into a store I get it.

If they grumble or bitch, I wouldn't help them out and if they complained or asked for a manager then I would call a manager on the radio we had surgically implanted! :) Management does support us and would say pretty much the same thing I did. In fact in my case, most customers thought I was the manager or one of them.

So no mask, no help.. they should be kicked out, but was above my pay grade.. my new employer or soon to be I hope requires and enforces a mask! Both places have pickup, delivery and/or shipping of some stuff to you directly too.. No excuses! You can still get your booze, even if you don't want to wear a mask cause you think you're a WOLF or whatever BS is out there!

quilbilly

Big Time Hater
No mask
No interest...

Before I'll meet anyone for work I tell them in advance mask up or I won't be showing up...some customers just don't want too, or tell me that its not needed, or have some other lame ass excuse.

I just politely decline any meetings with them....and tell them they're going to have to find someone else.

Easy enough to weed out the dumfuks.
Plenty of them out there.

cleanwilly

Coldspotter
Enabled it a couple of days ago and it's used about 20-25% of my battery so far. Haven't left the house....

It'd be a PIA to turn it off and on when I go out but might have to do that.

Anadromous

WFF Supporter
Not a sales pitch but offering an option to those who may be in need of a better mask option. I'm the Director of Purchasing for a company that provides medical equipment and supplies. We carry the Outdoor Research mask and have found it to be the best we've tested. We do currently have stock so if anyone is interested or is in need please check us out. We are a privately owned company and want to support our community the best we can. With the filters, these masks actually tested to be as effective as N95's as well. Link below...

speedbird49

I am not sure contact tracing is practical now that we have community spread even if PCR testing was as reliable as we wanted it to be. Countries like Taiwan and South Korea acted extremely quickly, before community infection was widespread

Rocking Chair Fan

No more hot spotting
Enabled it a couple of days ago and it's used about 20-25% of my battery so far. Haven't left the house....

It'd be a PIA to turn it off and on when I go out but might have to do that.

I looked at my battery usage for Washington Notify app and it barely even registers on usage. It only was active so far today for 1 minute. This is on a Samsung S8 phone.

Sportsman

Your
I am not sure contact tracing is practical now that we have community spread even if PCR testing was as reliable as we wanted it to be. Countries like Taiwan and South Korea acted extremely quickly, before community infection was widespread
You're right. At this point why try anything that might save a life?!

Last edited:

Sportsman

Your
Double post.

Zak

WFF Supporter
Not a sales pitch but offering an option to those who may be in need of a better mask option. I'm the Director of Purchasing for a company that provides medical equipment and supplies. We carry the Outdoor Research mask and have found it to be the best we've tested. We do currently have stock so if anyone is interested or is in need please check us out. We are a privately owned company and want to support our community the best we can. With the filters, these masks actually tested to be as effective as N95's as well. Link below...

Thanks, I ordered one of these masks. I have a huge head (size 8 hat) and have been having trouble finding masks that fit well. Hopefully this is the ticket!

Support WFF | Remove the Ads

Support WFF by upgrading your account. Site supporters benefits include no ads and access to some additional features, few now, more in the works. Info

Latest posts