COVID Exposure Notification System

Anadromous

WFF Supporter

Thanks, I ordered one of these masks. I have a huge head (size 8 hat) and have been having trouble finding masks that fit well. Hopefully this is the ticket!
Good deal! The straps are adjustable and also stretch. Hopefully it works for you. They are pretty comfortable. PM me if you have any issues. I'll take care of ya.

Reactions: Zak

flybill

A collector never stops collecting!
WFF Supporter
Not a sales pitch but offering an option to those who may be in need of a better mask option. I'm the Director of Purchasing for a company that provides medical equipment and supplies. We carry the Outdoor Research mask and have found it to be the best we've tested. We do currently have stock so if anyone is interested or is in need please check us out. We are a privately owned company and want to support our community the best we can. With the filters, these masks actually tested to be as effective as N95's as well. Link below...

I'll order one or two, but will come pick them up. Shipping was a bit high.. but the mask looks great! And I don't have any with filters. Can I order an extra pack of filters or just order them online or pick them up somewhere?

Anadromous

WFF Supporter
I'll order one or two, but will come pick them up. Shipping was a bit high.. but the mask looks great! And I don't have any with filters. Can I order an extra pack of filters or just order them online or pick them up somewhere?
The kit comes with 3 filters for the $20. What area of the NW are you located? You can PM me.

hookedonthefly

How is contact tracing useless? Unless you mean how the app functions. As an essential worker, I was potentially exposed everyday and I had to wear a mask at all times on the floor of the store I worked in. Originally when I came back from my leave, gloves as well. Damn hands would sweat the whole time! I must have changed gloves once an hour. Would take them off, wash and dry my hands, and put a new set on.. sucked as much as the mask!

I've since then had some great masks made that help, but sometimes I just get a standard mask since they're light and not as hot.

Some of my friends would wear two masks, which doesn't work for me and still wear gloves to avoid all of the shit people touch while shopping.

For all of us, contract tracing in any form is a godsend! We have no idea who we've been in contact with if we get COVID19 or think we were exposed.
I have no problem with contact tracing. My concern is the accruracy of PCR testing.

My point was that the studies I've read tend to reflect a less than acceptable sensitivity/specificity in PCR testing: so, if a person tests positive but really isn't then contact tracing subscribers are incorrectly notified that they have been exposed. If the PCR test is a false negative then those individuals who have been exposed are not notified. Part of the problem is the number of cycles used in PCR testing is usually 40. This high number of cycles is considered a source of the high number of false positives.

Like I mentioned previously, if I'm in a public place, I wear 2 masks. I also wear wrap around sunglasses or clear eye protection as there are studies of transmition through the eyes. A dear friend managed the ICU virus unit, on a rotation, and was in a hazmat style suit pretty much all day.

I also keep handsanitizer and latex gloves in my truck. I am not worried about me; but, I do have grave concern for others who may have health conditions that make them more susceptible to contracting the virus.

Also, as I mentioned earlier as well, there is a poor understanding of how this virus can spread.

hookedonthefly

Not exactly the most reliable news source there!

I don't consider all peer-reviewed studies to be correct; however, the studies are what we have and better than fake news. The studies are all over the place on the accuracy of PCR testing.

flybill

A collector never stops collecting!
WFF Supporter
I have no problem with contact tracing. My concern is the accruracy of PCR testing.

My point was that the studies I've read tend to reflect a less than acceptable sensitivity/specificity in PCR testing: so, if a person tests positive but really isn't then contact tracing subscribers are incorrectly notified that they have been exposed. If the PCR test is a false negative then those individuals who have been exposed are not notified. Part of the problem is the number of cycles used in PCR testing is usually 40. This high number of cycles is considered a source of the high number of false positives.

Like I mentioned previously, if I'm in a public place, I wear 2 masks. I also wear wrap around sunglasses or clear eye protection as there are studies of transmition through the eyes. A dear friend managed the ICU virus unit, on a rotation, and was in a hazmat style suit pretty much all day.

I also keep handsanitizer and latex gloves in my truck. I am not worried about me; but, I do have grave concern for others who may have health conditions that make them more susceptible to contracting the virus.

Also, as I mentioned earlier as well, there is a poor understanding of how this virus can spread.
I must have misunderstood your post, as I agree with the above that testing is less than perfect. Sad, and the various tests used are as reliable and accurate as they should be. Hopefully this will change as we (the medical experts and scientists) learn more about COVID19.

So I am going to add some gloves to carry in my car. I already have hand sanitizer and clean masks. I don't wear a double masks but have some great thick masks. I realize that may not make a difference since the virus is microscopic! I do not have any N95 masks, but do have the disposable masks and many other reusable ones from a variety of sources.

I am going to order some new masks with filters from a wff.com member who offered them. I do have about 7 reusable masks and prefer some over the others for fit and overall comfort! I have been an essential worker, and have to wear a mask a minimum of 6 to 8 hours a day and had to sometimes switch masks during the day due to comfort or if I had coughed a bit from allergies or whatever. I am hypersensitive about my customers who would come in without a mask or even more annoying with it below there nose of under there chin. If they ask for help, I would politely tell them I would be happy to help them if they would put the mask on correctly! If they grumbled or bitched i would offer to call a manager if they would like. Most of the time they thought I was manager since I'm older and would dress well for my retail job.

If they didn't want a manager and wouldn't wear the mask correctly I would point to what they want and walk away or help the next person. I did not have the authority to ask them to leave and despite the signs we had stating that you must wear a mask to enter, my former employer Total Wine, did not enforce it. I hope they do now, but doubt it.

I am close to getting a job at there competition Bevmo, and they require and enforce wearing a mask! Plus I have some other potential opportunities that will get me out of retail for good!

Last edited:

hookedonthefly

I must have misunderstood your post, as I agree with the above that testing is less than perfect. Sad, and the various tests used are as reliable and accurate as they should be. Hopefully this will change as we (the medical experts and scientists) learn more about COVID19.

So I am going to add some gloves to carry in my car. I already have hand sanitizer and clean masks. I don't wear a double masks but have some great thick masks. I realize that may not make a difference since the virus is microscopic! I do not have any N95 masks, but do have the disposal masks and many other reusable ones from a variety of sources.

I am going to order some new masks with filters from a wff.com member who offered them. I do have about 7 reusable masks and prefer some over the others for fit and overall comfort! I have been an essential worker, and have to wear a mask a minimum of 6 to 8 hours a day and had to sometimes switch masks during the day due to comfort or if I had coughed a bit from allergies or whatever. I am hypersensitive about my customers who would come in without a mask or even more annoying with it below there nose of under there chin. If they ask for help, I would politely tell them I would be happy to help them if they would put the mask on correctly! If they grumbled or bitched i would offer to call a manager if they would like. Most of the time they thought I was manager since I'm older and would dress well for my retail job.

If they didn't want a manager and wouldn't wear the mask correctly I would point to what they want and walk away or hell the next person. I did not have the authority to ask them to leave and despite the signs we had stating that you must wear a mask to enter, my former employer Total Wine, did not enforce it. I hope they do now, but doubt it.

I am close to getting a job at there competition Bevmo, and the require and enforce wearing a mask! Plus I have some other potential opportunities that will get me out of retail for good!
On the move..., i.e. - dogs and dentist...Yay! I know NFR; but, I’ll be back as I enjoy thoughts and insight. Very Best and Safe Travels, Ed

cook

Lots of you might have seen this today, but I thought I would post it for those who haven't. The COVID exposure notification system, developed jointly by Apple and Google, was launched in WA today. If you have an up to date iPhone, it is already built into your phone and you probably got a prompt about it already. If you have an Android phone, you can download the app from Google Play. I have enabled it and I recommend everyone enables it, to help our state get through this mess. I also encourage everyone to share it around; the more people who use it, the better it will work.

Below is a video that explains how it works.

Below is the Google Play link.

Below are iPhone instructions, if you didn't get the alert already.

Full disclosure: I am a software engineer at Google, but my work has nothing to do with this system; I am just a user, like you. I am very security and privacy conscious. I don't even trust my wife on our home wifi; her laptop is relegated to the guest network. I put my tin foil hat on about most things related to tech, particularly things like the third party COVID tracking apps. However, I trust this system and believe this will really save lives.
thanks for this--question: does an app need to be downloaded for an iPhone? The app in the video (WA Notify) is not an option for me in the apple app store and nothing appears in the settings. This is a newer iPhone <1yr old by the way. Thanks for posting this

jaredoconnor

WFF Supporter
thanks for this--question: does an app need to be downloaded for an iPhone? The app in the video (WA Notify) is not an option for me in the apple app store and nothing appears in the settings. This is a newer iPhone <1yr old by the way. Thanks for posting this

iPhones have it built in, so there is no app. Follow the instructions I linked in my post for iPhones.

Shad

Interesting app. I went ahead and installed it. I have avoided spending any length of time around people not in my household, and I always limit my trips, wear my mask, and distance myself in public, so I'm not likely to get many notifications, but my kids are all in the age bracket most responsible for the wild spread happening now, so I intend to have them all install this and encourage their friends to do the same.

It's not an easy decision to let Apple and Google (arguably the two worst stewards of personal data in existence) follow me around, but lots of very smart people say the app is secure, and it just might make a difference, so what the hey....

DerekWhipple

For those of you who are concerned about privacy issues with this exposure notification app, if you already have a smartphone with practically any apps on it, you are already tracked and have all kinds of data mined from you that could be abused by a government or third party. That horse left the barn years ago.

Whenever Oregon has it, I will use it.

Zak

WFF Supporter
Good deal! The straps are adjustable and also stretch. Hopefully it works for you. They are pretty comfortable. PM me if you have any issues. I'll take care of ya.
Just picked up my mask and tried it on, it fits my humongous head great and seems like it is not going to fog up my glasses. Nice case, too. I'm happy with it!

Support WFF | Remove the Ads

Support WFF by upgrading your account. Site supporters benefits include no ads and access to some additional features, few now, more in the works. Info

Latest posts