Most Productive Damselfly Nymph Pattern

SpeyDragon

This is the pattern I've been using the past several years. I don't recall the originator of the pattern, but I believe I found it on YT. It has a braided tail made of marabou with a dubbed thorax, burnt mono eyes, and medallion back.

Attachments

• BraidedTailDamsel.jpg
    BraidedTailDamsel.jpg
    360.7 KB · Views: 21

Zak

WFF Supporter
This is the pattern I've been using the past several years. I don't recall the originator of the pattern, but I believe I found it on YT. It has a braided tail made of marabou with a dubbed thorax, burnt mono eyes, and medallion back.
Nice fly! How is the braided tail made?

Bob Newman

This one has done me well for thirty years, not to mention selling 50 dozen a year through two fly shops for 10 years. Shop owners told me that customers used them from the start to the end of the lake season. The fly has its own action, the beads make it want to roll over when stopped, then rights itself when stripped.

Attachments

• E61E23BE-612C-4DD7-8991-D4DDAD3D4101.jpeg
    E61E23BE-612C-4DD7-8991-D4DDAD3D4101.jpeg
    403.5 KB · Views: 50

Jaydub

I've had pretty good luck with this simple pattern. The original was called a Purple Veil Damsel. It had more of a purpleish flash in the tail. I substituted a green flash. The color doesn't really show in the picture.
pQsaPBw.jpg

This has worked for me during Damsel season, but I consider it more of an attractor.
Ci7QolY.jpg

I haven't actually fished this one yet, but I think it will be a winner. My sorry excuse for Jim Cope's Damsel.
ZhZ2YL2.jpg

fjjNylY.jpg

Reactions: SHD

GAT

Dumbfounded
Here's a prototype for a version using a long shank and tying the body sparse. I'll work on an articulated version after I receive the book I ordered. I know the marabou tail is long but it shrivels when wet so I plan on it as part of the body. I don't spend much time on prototypes until I know the pattern works to catch fish.

damsel nymph.jpg

Support WFF | Remove the Ads

Support WFF by upgrading your account. Site supporters benefits include no ads and access to some additional features, few now, more in the works. Info