Dubbing Loop Issue

HawaiianInWa

Blind Casters Anonymous
Overall decent at fly tying and starting to work towards new techniques. Spinning deer hair was my first goal and now I'm working at dubbing loops. One issue I keep finding is that my materials seem to get pulled out of the loop even when spun very tightly. I've been using a stick and a small bit of velcro to tease out the trapped fibers but I end up pulling out all the materials. Not really sure what I'm doing wrong... Any advice will be welcomed.

Brandon

Floatin'
Sometimes if you thin the material out more over a longer dubbing loop it will help each fiber/etc. get pinched in by the thread better. Also waxing the thread before you put the materials in will help too.

mcswny

Overall decent at fly tying and starting to work towards new techniques. Spinning deer hair was my first goal and now I'm working at dubbing loops. One issue I keep finding is that my materials seem to get pulled out of the loop even when spun very tightly. I've been using a stick and a small bit of velcro to tease out the trapped fibers but I end up pulling out all the materials. Not really sure what I'm doing wrong... Any advice will be welcomed.
Watch a Kelly Galloup streamer tutorial, say, the Sex Dungeon, his technique is pretty spot on.
Starts at 12:00 mark.

tkww

I assume you're using a dubbing spinner of some kind, and not just rotating hackle pliers to spin it?

HawaiianInWa

Blind Casters Anonymous
Make sure you are closing the top of your loop before spinning. I did not know about this important step for many years until a seasoned tier pointed out the error of my technique.

RR
could you explain this in more detail please?

long_rod_silvers

WFF Supporter
After creating the loop, with the bobbin, run your thread around the loop 2x and then secure back to the hook. Creates a tighter mesh point where the two loop threads meet the hook shank. If you're leaving space between the two loop threads (not closing the loop off), you have a gap (possibly) which can create issues.

Support WFF | Remove the Ads

Support WFF by upgrading your account. Site supporters benefits include no ads and access to some additional features, few now, more in the works. Info