Dubbing Loop Issue

SinglehandJay

Misanthropist
Overall decent at fly tying and starting to work towards new techniques. Spinning deer hair was my first goal and now I'm working at dubbing loops. One issue I keep finding is that my materials seem to get pulled out of the loop even when spun very tightly. I've been using a stick and a small bit of velcro to tease out the trapped fibers but I end up pulling out all the materials. Not really sure what I'm doing wrong... Any advice will be welcomed.
Use dubbing wax. If that doesn't work then use less material.

riverrun

could you explain this in more detail please?
Looks like you already got some good replies explaining the technique. The bigger the hook, and especially if you are using a Waddington shank or the likes, the more important this step is. Were you doing this important step?

Last edited:

HawaiianInWa

Blind Casters Anonymous
After creating the loop, with the bobbin, run your thread around the loop 2x and then secure back to the hook. Creates a tighter mesh point where the two loop threads meet the hook shank. If you're leaving space between the two loop threads (not closing the loop off), you have a gap (possibly) which can create issues
Yeah that makes sense. Will try and report back.

Old Man

A very Old Man
WFF Supporter
Adding dubbing was just something that I couldn't get a handle on. Even when I used Bees wax I sucked. One of reasons I quit tying flies. Now my hands shake like I'm in the wind. Besides I kind sucked at tying. I could only tie up a few good flies. Now I just buy a few at a fly shop and use them when I get out.

Support WFF | Remove the Ads

Support WFF by upgrading your account. Site supporters benefits include no ads and access to some additional features, few now, more in the works. Info

Latest posts