NFR Tips and tricks for camp fires in the wet forest of NW WA?

tippet

hardcore flyfishing addict
If you want to start a fire, put a few Doritos under the kindling and light the Doritos. It works great!

JesseC

Gather a bunch of this stuff. Unsea Floridana.

A real kid pleaser, it lights up like human hair soaked in gasoline - smells way better thankfully.
50F2B1E6-9E8C-4E67-AB03-0F7295B7AF90.jpeg
Next - find dry wood. You’ll be able to find some, underneath big logs or overhanging trees. A small hatchet really comes in handy, as splitting the wood goes a long long way in terms of getting the party started.

Jiminsandiego

Lots of great input. A picked up a nice little hatchet (Schrade $27) and ordered a European Ferro rod (8"). I will make a handle for the rod out of duck tape with shaved magnesium on the sticky side to use as "fire starter". Also some cotton balls soaked in Vaseline and some fat wood sticks. Finding and processing dry (enough) wood will be something that I plan to practice at. Making a fire as quickly and easily as possible with various materials and tools in different kinds of forest and weather, requires both knowledge and practice. It's fun learning new things.

Skip Enge

Uck Uck Uck, bitches
when I was doing the backpacking thing...ala Ray Jardine(books) I threw a handfull of Fritos or cornchips in a bag for fire starting...

Zak

WFF Supporter
A Silky Saw with large or extra large teeth will process wood fast. Add a full tang sheath knife for batonning and you're in business.

Squamishpoacher

In Canada we have Hawkins Cheezies. They burst into flames if you shake the bag. Their sale should be prohibited during fire season.
91GHSkebAWL._AC_SL1500_.jpg

And as a bonus, the translucent orange film the bags are made of makes a nice body wrap over silver Mylar or Mirage tinsel.

Phil Fravel

Friendly
Flamethrower
Lighter fluid
Presto log
Match light briquettes

oh ya and a lighter

these are my 4 most reliable options

Support WFF | Remove the Ads

Support WFF by upgrading your account. Site supporters benefits include no ads and access to some additional features, few now, more in the works. Info

Latest posts