Local Fly Shop Supports Us

Greg Price

Love da little fishies
Yesterday I took 2 old Ross Reels to Anil at Puget Sound Fly Shop in Tacoma.

One reel was a cheapie that lost its drag. It magically stated working as I was trying to show Anil what was wrong. He still took it apart and cleaned it up. The other needed parts so I will send it in to Ross. It is a Colorado model that is from the mid 90’s and no longer produced.

Puget Soynd Fly has some good looking glow in dark flies that has Ressie temptors written all over them. So I bought 20 dollars worth to add to my night time flies. See below for 3 local salt water fish that fell for glow in dark flies last night.

I am so glad to have PSFC as my local source of knowledge and supplies that I cannot get on the net or big box stores

Attachments

• B587C87F-0A9E-485D-ABEF-AF0EDA25DD6A.jpeg
    B587C87F-0A9E-485D-ABEF-AF0EDA25DD6A.jpeg
    952.5 KB · Views: 60
  • 7D2C1E88-151A-469A-844B-5C6B6BA7A032.jpeg
    7D2C1E88-151A-469A-844B-5C6B6BA7A032.jpeg
    1.2 MB · Views: 61
  • 67BC232A-0DA4-40D7-B561-BFE7C0E59388.jpeg
    67BC232A-0DA4-40D7-B561-BFE7C0E59388.jpeg
    1.8 MB · Views: 63

sroffe

Anil is a good guy. I've always enjoyed visiting him and his crew at his shop. My only gripe is the shop is in Tacoma. I don't get down there as much as I would like. Might be a good thing for me, bad for him, sorry Anil.

It was very very dangerous for my pocket book when I worked in Seattle and Bellevue with Kaufman's nearby.... On that note, I heard that Bob Aid died a few years ago. Sure enjoyed talking with him. He was a good mentor.

Greg Price

Love da little fishies
I fell a few years ago on slipperry large boulders trying to access an area 13 beach. I was amazed that only the handle bent,so I fished the salt that day with bent handle.

After getting home I carefully bent the handle back into shape! BUT it was a bit off kilter, but defiantly useable.

It lasted two saltwater seasons and was heading into its third season when the handle unceremoniously unscrewed itself and dropped someplace between the beach and my front yard where I hose off everything that touches saltwater. I took the reel apart to clean and accidently broke the spring.

So I need spring and handle. Plus the spool needs to be straightened out or replaced.

I love this reel. So simple and easy to clean and lube after saltwater use. My dad gave it to me a few years after I learned to fly fish in mid 90s

flybill

A collector never stops collecting!
I was down there Monday and Anil wasn't working, so I had a great talk with his two employees. I hope to swing going to Cuba, was invited to go from a friend who organizes, for mostly his FF club. We've fished together and he is a great friend.

I have many other things to do first and if I accomplish them and can save the $$ i will go! Otherwise Cuba will be there the next year.

Anil has been to many tropical trips and is so knowledgeable and great when stop by, as are the all of guys who work there. I like to support small businesses when I can and was looking at 8wts, saltwater reels, lines and flies to tie. Other shops have the same knowledge and I try to spread my $$ around!

I had also been sea run cutthroat trout fishing and his shop is on my way home. I stop by when I am down south since I live in Redmond.

I can't speak highly enough of Puget Sound Fly Co and the other shops that I go to when I can. I have so much gear that I don't need much, except very specific gear that fits into places I haven't been, like fishing for bonefish, tarpon, barracuda, snook, permit, GT's and even lemon sharks. Different than steelhead and trout which I will do until I can't or move on!

Thanks guys!

Steve Saville

WFF Supporter
Anil is a good guy. I've always enjoyed visiting him and his crew at his shop. My only gripe is the shop is in Tacoma. I don't get down there as much as I would like. Might be a good thing for me, bad for him, sorry Anil.

It was very very dangerous for my pocket book when I worked in Seattle and Bellevue with Kaufman's nearby.... On that note, I heard that Bob Aid died a few years ago. Sure enjoyed talking with him. He was a good mentor.
I hadn't heard that. I'm sorry for that loss. I fished with Bob on several occasions and enjoyed our shop visits in both Seattle and Bellevue. I still tie flies using "Aid's rule of three."

flybill

A collector never stops collecting!
I hadn't heard that. I'm sorry for that loss. I fished with Bob on several occasions and enjoyed our shop visits in both Seattle and Bellevue. I still tie flies using "Aid's rule of three."
I met Bob a few times, never got a chance to fish with him, but glad I did get to know him. I had not heard that he passed on.. many of the old timers that I know are still around and I've learned from them and my fly fishing mentor's.. I value the time with them, either on the water, in the stores if I run into them or on the rivers, sound or lakes when I've gotten to fish and learn from them.. even from afar!

Steve Saville

WFF Supporter
Not to hijack the thread but Bob had a really easy going way about him. Whenever you saw him on the river he's ask if you had a fly for him and then he'd swap a fly from his box with you. It was a great way to meet someone and enjoy a day of fishing with them. I find that Anil is very much the same way. I've known him since he worked at another shop back in the day. Then he and Clark opened up their shop in Kent; half mile from the school where I taught. I stopped many nights on the way home just to BS and almost always bought something. I guess that's part of the reason I have so much stuff now. I don't get in to see him much since the pandemic but will begin again whenever the virus is under control and we can venture out regularly again.

Greg Price

Love da little fishies
Not to hijack the thread but Bob had a really easy going way about him. Whenever you saw him on the river he's ask if you had a fly for him and then he'd swap a fly from his box with you. It was a great way to meet someone and enjoy a day of fishing with them. I find that Anil is very much the same way. I've known him since he worked at another shop back in the day. Then he and Clark opened up their shop in Kent; half mile from the school where I taught. I stopped many nights on the way home just to BS and almost always bought something. I guess that's part of the reason I have so much stuff now. I don't get in to see him much since the pandemic but will begin again whenever the virus is under control and we can venture out regularly again.
Clark works at his family's Kubota shop here in Puyallup.

I have purchased parts for my Honda Lawnmower and Stihl chainsaw from him or his staff.

He gives just as good of service on equipment as he did when he was teamed up with Anil. So if you need a tractor, yard equipment or parts, go see him.

I like supporting my local shops if it is snow skiing, mountain biking, hardware, fly fishing or yard equipment. I find the knowledge to get the proper tool (or toys) for the proper job is worth the possible 5 to 20 percent more i pay for the goods vs getting them at box stores or internet.

Give me McLendon's hardware any day over box stores. Time saved from getting proper supplies or tools equals less time doing home maintenance, more time to FISH

Greg Armstrong

WFF Supporter
Clark works at his family's Kubota shop here in Puyallup.

I have purchased parts for my Honda Lawnmower and Stihl chainsaw from him or his staff.

He gives just as good of service on equipment as he did when he was teamed up with Anil. So if you need a tractor, yard equipment or parts, go see him.

I like supporting my local shops if it is snow skiing, mountain biking, hardware, fly fishing or yard equipment. I find the knowledge to get the proper tool (or toys) for the proper job is worth the possible 5 to 20 percent more i pay for the goods vs getting them at box stores or internet.

Give me McLendon's hardware any day over box stores. Time saved from getting proper supplies or tools equals less time doing home maintenance, more time to FISH
McClendon‘s is sadly no longer locally owned;

David Loy

Senior Moment
I’ve read positive reviews about Anil and PSFC for many years. Being in NE Seattle, Tacoma isn’t on my usual path. I stopped by their previous location in Federal Way area a couple times (when my daughter played BBall for a team near by), but they’d closed for the day. Some day I’ll be in their neighborhood and will definitely stop in.
As I’ve said before, I think we’re lucky to have a few really good fly shops within reach. Some sparse parts of the country don’t have any. Buy local when you can.

Support WFF | Remove the Ads

Support WFF by upgrading your account. Site supporters benefits include no ads and access to some additional features, few now, more in the works. Info

Latest posts