Washington Fly Fishing Forum banner

Wolff Atlas vs Renzetti Traveler vs Peak Rotary

6K views 12 replies 8 participants last post by  Chris Johnson 
#1 ·
I have a 15 y.o. grandson who has really gotten into fly tying. to the point that he is selling flies to his dad's friends. For Christmas, he wants a new vise. I want to stay around $200 or slightly less. I am intrigued and impressed by what I have learned about the Wolff Atlas, but understand that the Renzetti Traveler is the most widely used vise in the country. The Peak Rotary also falls in that price category. I hope to benefit from the insights of those on this forum regarding the comparative benefits and drawbacks of these three vises. Thanks in advance!

#8 ·
I did a review of those three vises, plus the Montana Mongoose for my YouTube channel.

For me the winner was the Mongoose. Really nice vise, and a lot of vise for the money. The Traveler was second.

The Peak and Atlas are fine vises, built well and do their job, but IMO they are inferior vises in operation. Not as smooth, too much fiddling to secure hooks etc. Your opinion may vary.

#11 ·
adamcu280,
I do appreciate your contribution to the thread. I was unfamiliar with the mongoose vise. Your comment caused me to look at it, and when Nick Clayton pointed out that he did a 40 minute review of the 3 vises I asked about and the Mongoose on his Youtube channel, I watched his discussion of the pros and cons of each vise. I think that all of the 4 vises are quite good quality, as Nick pointed out. I am grateful for everybody who has reached out to help me and apologize profusely for coming across as unappreciative.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.