New OP rules

Mark Kadoshima

I realize I am very ignorant of most of issues regarding declining fish numbers, but will the possible Elwah recovery act as a good control to see if terminal actions on limiting fishing will help?

GOTY

9x Puget Sound Steelhead Guide of the Year
I realize I am very ignorant of most of issues regarding declining fish numbers, but will the possible Elwah recovery act as a good control to see if terminal actions on limiting fishing will help?
I think it would be hard to draw that conclusion since there's no control group. You would have to do something along the lines of wait a few decades for the runs to "max out", then allow fishing for a few years/decades, and try to see if there are impacts.

HauntedByWaters

I am curious how many folks are leaving their boats at home and heading out there. I normally bank fish the OP and hike into choice spots. I most likly will not go out there but am curious if these spots are going to be jammed like never before.

Rob Allen

for those opposed to the boat ban, does anyone actually think that survival and spawning success is not increased with fewer fish hooked ?

anyone think a bait ban is a bad idea ?

would anyone rather see complete closure ?

i'm sure most of us would rather see the nets disappear, but with so few fish making back to the river, every individual fish becomes that much more important. again, the reason why catch and release mortality and the effect of hooking and handling (especially time out of water) on spawning success IS so SIGNIFICANT.

I don't think a boat ban or a bait ban will significantly increase the number of fish of reads.

But that is completely and totally irrelevant. Our rivers are producing plenty of smolts, the ocean just is not returning them..
The regulations will not help one little bit because they do not address the problem.

Charles Sullivan

I am curious how many folks are leaving their boats at home and heading out there. I normally bank fish the OP and hike into choice spots. I most likly will not go out there but am curious if these spots are going to be jammed like never before.
Why would you leave the boat? I fish from shore but generally bring a boat on fishing trips. A day drifting a river is a good day. You can still use the boat for transport.

Go Sox,
cds

Smalma

If folks thinking of fishing the OP rivers were truly concern about spawning steelhead being able to "do the deed" unmolested or the success of that spawning they would limit their fishing to before March first!

Somehow in spite of much the talk on this site and elsewhere most anglers are not really concerned with success of the steelhead but rather their own fishing; preferably by their preferred method(s).

Just another reason the resource is doomed!

Curt

O' Clarkii Stomias

If folks thinking of fishing the OP rivers were truly concern about spawning steelhead being able to "do the deed" unmolested or the success of that spawning they would limit their fishing to before March first!

Somehow in spite of much the talk on this site and elsewhere most anglers are not really concerned with success of the steelhead but rather their own fishing; preferably by their preferred method(s).

Just another reason the resource is doomed!

Curt
When the hopeful become hopeless, we're all doomed!

TheAngler

Now that most OP rivers are closed, how do people think the new rules impacted encounter rate? Based on what I saw, it seems like it reduced encounters significantly but I was also surprised by number of boats I saw on the water.

Jonathan Tachell

There were plenty of fish and fishing was good for us despite the no fishing from a boat rule. With over 50% of anglers in recent years "fly fishing" beads under an indicator from a boat out of the equation I am sure the encounter rates were down over all. I will say that far more redds had anchors drug through them and people walking on them.

It really hurt losing April, especially when the nets went back in on April 5th.

Oh well, another lost opportunity for rec anglers under the guise of conservation. A pretty standard WDFW fisheries management decision.

Support WFF | Remove the Ads

Support WFF by upgrading your account. Site supporters benefits include no ads and access to some additional features, few now, more in the works. Info

Latest posts