Have you ever made social blunder while on water?

Greg Price

Love da little fishies
A few nights ago a local fly fisher named Joel gave me several of his hand tied salt flies.

Not long after that he hooked into an epic fish. As the fish took him into his backing the 3rd time, I decided to switch out gear.

Then I heard him ask “Greg, could you please bring your net?

I was dumbfounded. What a blunder on my part not to think of that.

He lost the fish as I was headed his way.

Last edited:

Zak

WFF Supporter
A few weeks ago I was on Lone Lake in a boat with my son and rowed past a group of anglers who had beached their craft and were standing around drinking and talking. I haven't met many new people here since moving from Vermont, and thought I might cleverly find out if they were folks from this forum with whom I might have interacted online. So I yelled out: "I was just telling my son that some of you might be on the flyfishing forum I like!" Their heads turned, they regarded me, one said "nice canoe" and they went back to their conversation. As I probably would have done. I'm not sure what I expected, I had made a statement not asked a question. I felt like I had made a social faux pas, but I'm not too broken up over it.

Guy Gregory

I low holed an angler on the Henry’s Fork tjlhis year without realizing it....the ‘holes’ on that stretch aren’t really obvious. Anyway, I realized it, got out, and the other angler got out at the same time. I met them on the trail, apologized, and offered a cold beer by way of compensation. She agreed, and we had a delightful conversation for an hour or so in the shade with a cold beverage. So, blunder turned into a pleasant moment.

Ive blundered a lot, you can make up for it.

Stonefish

Triploid, Humpy & Seaplane Hater....Know Grizzler
I was fishing a beach recently.
Terrible weather, rainy and windy.
A bundled up person came down and started chatting me up about fishing.
I was waded out a ways from shore and fishing was good do I wasn’t really concentrating on the conversation. It was also kind of hard to hear with the wind.
The person mentioned they had seen me fishing there quite a bit. They asked me what my name was. After I told them, I asked them their name.
I thought I heard Gary. So I said nice to meet you Gary. Gary turned out to be Cheri.....
I felt like a complete idiot.
SF

kmudgn

This past year I was in a canoe on a large pond and was fishing about 75-90 feet from the shore. There was a guy fishing from the bank and he started yelling at me to move as I was "in his way". I never thought he could cast that far, but later realized he was spin fishing and was able to throw his junk out that far. I did not apologize as I initially thought the guy was just being a jerk, but as I moved on and did not see him again I guess I just left him mad.

jasmillo

WFF Supporter
If
A few weeks ago I was on Lone Lake in a boat with my son and rowed past a group of anglers who had beached their craft and were standing around drinking and talking. I haven't met many new people here since moving from Vermont, and thought I might cleverly find out if they were folks from this forum with whom I might have interacted online. So I yelled out: "I was just telling my son that some of you might be on the flyfishing forum I like!" Their heads turned, they regarded me, one said "nice canoe" and they went back to their conversation. As I probably would have done. I'm not sure what I expected, I had made a statement not asked a question. I felt like I had made a social faux pas, but I'm not too broken up over it.

Support WFF | Remove the Ads

Support WFF by upgrading your account. Site supporters benefits include no ads and access to some additional features, few now, more in the works. Info

Latest posts