Washington Fly Fishing Forum banner

Have you ever made social blunder while on water?

5K views 57 replies 37 participants last post by  jangles 
#1 · (Edited)
A few nights ago a local fly fisher named Joel gave me several of his hand tied salt flies.

Not long after that he hooked into an epic fish. As the fish took him into his backing the 3rd time, I decided to switch out gear.

Then I heard him ask “Greg, could you please bring your net?

I was dumbfounded. What a blunder on my part not to think of that.

He lost the fish as I was headed his way.

#47 ·
Not really a social blunder, but a hilarious one that had a few witnesses. I was walking along the San Juan river in NM. I was coming around a gradual river bend and walked right next to a tree, and all of the sudden I hear a hiss, turn to my left, and there's a brown snake hanging from a tree right the hell next to my face. We're talking less than a foot away.

So I just flung myself backwards away from it, probably screaming, tumbled backwards down an embankment, and ended up next to the river with my gear strewn everywhere. I hear laughing, pick myself up, brush myself off, and two guys in a driftboat were right there cracking up. They got to see the whole thing.

Turns out it was just a Bull Snake

#48 ·
Not my blunder this time....Many years ago...maybe I was 12 or so? We lived at a VA facility my mom worked at. It had a 9 hole golf course with ponds. One summer day I am out collecting feathers..my brother and I "tied" flies. I came around some bushes on one of the back ponds. There, blanket spread, buck naked, was an old man, going at it. All he had was a cup of yogurt and a banana with him...for a young girl it was quite the shock!! I still don't eat yogurt to this day....

#51 ·
My most recent blunder was a few years ago when walking back up river at Chinook Bend. A guy and a youngish blond were out on a gravel bar. He with a camera and she with an umbrella, and that is all she was "wearing".

Now this was in October and a bit chilly to say the least and everything displayed was quite "perky" if you get my meaning.

Tipped my hat and commented that it was a tad bit chilly. My last visible image was some really red and flushed cheeks.

Dave

#56 ·
A few nights ago a local fly fisher named Joel gave me several of his hand tied salt flies.

Not long after that he hooked into an epic fish. As the fish took him into his backing the 3rd time, I decided to switch out gear.

Then I heard him ask "Greg, could you please bring your net?

I was dumbfounded. What a blunder on my part not to think of that.

He lost the fish as I was headed his way.
Seriously, we've all blanked on things like this. Last time I was on Lone it was so busy by the launch that I probably crossed three lines just getting out there. It's hard to see when you're going backwards :) Apologize, smile, and keep moving.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.