Some bugs from the Russian River

cabezon

Sculpin Enterprises
WFF Supporter
Great pictures. It would be interesting to have a ventral perspective too. Are they lighter underneath and darker on top? In some species, the eyes are very prominent and in others, the eyes are more cryptic.
Steve

Mark Melton

Most are lighter underneath except for the Drunella which can be just about as darkly colored ventrally as dorsally. The rest vary in color ventrally from white to a lighter color. The reason the eyes are more prominent in some species is that the males tend to have larger eyes (at least in mayflies).

Troutnut

Nice pictures.

Your Drunella looks like flavilinea from what I can see in this picture. The abdominal spines seem more "broadly triangular" than the long sharp ones I've photographed on coloradensis.

Mark Melton

Thanks.

It probably is a flavilinea. At least according to Meyers and McCafferty who list it for this part of California.

John svah

I woulda called that drunella a stenonema but I’m hella rusty having not cracked my entomology book in 20 years.

John svah

A ha.
when I studied entomology I was a fighting terrapin at the university of Maryland. It appears stenonema lives east of the Mississippi....
my apologies

Support WFF | Remove the Ads

Support WFF by upgrading your account. Site supporters benefits include no ads and access to some additional features, few now, more in the works. Info