Area #13 report

Stonefish

Triploid, Humpy & Seaplane Hater....Know Grizzler
I can attest to the unending fly changes with frozen fingers, and the level of effort put forth today, all for naught!
Although fg could have mentioned that her fishing partner got a nice one on the 2nd cast of the day on this...but zip for the next 6 hours ;)
View attachment 265192

Good looking pattern. It looks very similar to Roger Stephen’s floating sandlance.

There is a nice afternoon high tomorrow. We’ll see what it yields but I’m not expecting much.
SF

SquatchinSince86

Good looking pattern. It looks very similar to Roger Stephen’s floating sandlance.

There is a nice afternoon high tomorrow. We’ll see what it yields but I’m not expecting much.
SF
I have very little confidence in an afternoon high tide. Maybe if I fished them more...

Next weekends early morning high has got my motor running though, even if it isn't very strong, I have found fish stick around longer. At least the spots I tend to go.

Stonefish

I have very little confidence in an afternoon high tide. Maybe if I fished them more...

Next weekends early morning high has got my motor running though, even if it isn't very strong, I have found fish stick around longer. At least the spots I tend to go.

Yep, I prefer early morning highs but you have to fish when you can.
At least the water will be moving tomorrow afternoon with a nice drop. Not thrilled about the bright skies but I’m hoping to get some wind chop at least out of the north.
My plan is to fish until dark and I’m hoping the fading light will turn things on.
I’ve got big, small and flashy covered and intermediate and floaters rigged, so we’ll see.
SF

Northern

It's all good.
WFF Supporter
Is that a nerf gun popper? I've thought about trying something like that.
Whoa @Northern that's crazy looking.
Thanks - I've found long, skinny topwaters more effective, and have modeled mine after Roger's for years. This kind is a pain to tie because it involves drilling a hole, with a bodkin, lengthwise thru the kind of float foam used for booby eyes, then working a tube thru it. It's not bouyant enough to float if tied on a long hook, but the tube puts the trailer back where I like it, and it's pretty indestructible, because it's almost weightless and doesn't get beat up if you tick the beach.

Stonefish

Thanks - I've found long, skinny topwaters more effective, and have modeled mine after Roger's for years. This kind is a pain to tie because it involves drilling a hole, with a bodkin, lengthwise thru the kind of float foam used for booby eyes, then working a tube thru it. It's not bouyant enough to float if tied on a long hook, but the tube puts the trailer back where I like it, and it's pretty indestructible, because it's almost weightless and doesn't get beat up if you tick the beach.

Have to tried heating the bodkin to help make drilling the hole easier?
I do half the length on one side then do the other side and hopefully the two holes meet in the middle. ;)
This is what I’ve been using for the bodies when I tie them.

SF

Roger Stephens

Northern

It's all good.
WFF Supporter
Have to tried heating the bodkin to help make drilling the hole easier?
I do half the length on one side then do the other side and hopefully the two holes meet in the middle. ;)
This is what I’ve been using for the bodies when I tie them.

SF
Exactly! I also have a set of miniature reamers that I think are originally for making jewelry. They help widen the hole a bit.

Roger Stephens

On my floating sand lance pattern the foam head is 3/4 inches long. I cut the foam into lengths of 1/4 and 1/2 inch long. I have not had any problems pushing the bodkin through the center of the foam cylinders.

Over ten years ago I landed a measured 22 1/2 inch approximately 4 pound sea-run cutthroat on that pattern. I can still remember how the fish struck the pattern. The water surface exploded like a toilet flush. The fish got out in the tidal current so i had to pull the anchor in my boat and chase it down 1/4 mile from where it was hooked. It was a memorable event!

Roger

Last edited:

Northern

It's all good.
WFF Supporter
On my floating sand lance pattern the foam head is 3/4 inches long. I cut the foam into lengths of 1/4 and 1/2 inch long. I have not had any problems pushing the bodkin through the center of the foam cylinders.

Roger
Ah hahaha! Now I'm laughing at myself! It hadn't occurred to me to subdivide the head to make it easier to assemble. :oops:
In my defense, I've only tied a small handfull because they last forever. As you've pointed out before, with the tube design the fly part mostly slides up the line and stays out of their teeth.

Support WFF | Remove the Ads

Support WFF by upgrading your account. Site supporters benefits include no ads and access to some additional features, few now, more in the works. Info