GPS Recommendation for Remote Hiking/Fishing

Gyrfalcon21

Honoring Vets
Wait, I thought Bill Gates was chipping us all anyway?? <roll eyes>

Good to see experts jump on and share great advice ! Many situations are not in a primary role, it is saving the new masses who are getting in over their heads and needing your assistance in getting help.

jwg

My son and his girlfriend hike into some very remote high country places around Washington and Oregon. They are good about telling us where they are hiking and letting us know when they are out of the hills and woods, but my wife and I still worry they'll get lost or injured and may need assistance.

So, we're thinking of getting them a reliable and simple GPS emergency beacon or communicator where they can signal for help. There seems to be a ton of options, so any recommendations from those of you with experience would really be appreciated.

Thanks.
This seems to cover current options

This looks like a simpler option for basic functionality

"seamlessly sends/receives messages via cellular, WiFi and satellite (no message charge for cell and WiFi). The Zoleo was nearly as reliable sending messages as the inReach Mini. The Zoleo is also the least expensive unit, costing $100 less than the inReach Mini and Somewear. And if you take into account that it doesn’t track, it has the least expensive messaging data plan. The Zoleo has both blinking lights and audible alerts from the unit that give you some idea of its operation and status without having to look at your phone. There is a dedicated button to send OK/location messages"

BriGuy

Thanks, everyone, for all of the great information. Much appreciated! I have a few things to look into. And, a possible self-serving Christmas gift. ;)

My son and his girlfriend are smart (both engineering students) and don't take very many risks. But, they travel very lightly, cover a lot of ground, and rely a lot on their iPhones. They do load topo maps on them and would probably rely on the phones as their compasses, too.

Thanks for the reminders of a having a good old-fashioned compass. Sounds like a good stocking stuffer.

KillerDave

Have camera, will travel...
Sorry, I'm late to this party. I am a long distance hiker and ultralight backpacker and can say that every piece of gear is carefully considered and I don't rely on a GPS to navigate. But that's for established hiking trails. For hunting, I have a GPS for night-time navigation. I'd ask your kids if they REALLY WANT want a GPS before potentially forcing one on them. Also, there's a good sized learning curve on the whole GPS thing. I've run across more than on person out in the woods that doesn't know where the heck they are with their GPS unit. But on the other hand when you get them figured out, they are pretty dang cool.

Jim Travers

Back in the day guys would just go on feel alone. Night navigation with no flashlight. No problem!! Going on feel alone!!!! Who cares!!! Just keep moving thru the night - look it'll get light soon ya can tell where yended up then. When you can see. Back in the day guy would just be going on feel alone.

Old406Kid

Back in the day guys would just go on feel alone. Night navigation with no flashlight. No problem!! Going on feel alone!!!! Who cares!!! Just keep moving thru the night - look it'll get light soon ya can tell where yended up then. When you can see. Back in the day guy would just be going on feel alone.

As always, thanks for your 'valuable' insight.:rolleyes:

Kilchis

WFF Supporter
Maybe tuck some spare batteries into the stocking along with any electronic device. A dead GPS is every bit as useful as a dead phone. A GPS doesn't have to be used for routine navigation, but can certainly come in handy when the FUGAWE question arises. They have other uses, too. When I die somebody is going to inherit a gold mine of secret chanterelle beds.

jaredoconnor

WFF Supporter
There seems to be some confusion in this thread. The title probably doesn't help. The poster was asking about emergency satellite beacons/messagers, not GPS navigation devices. Some devices do both, but navigation wasn't his main concern.

BriGuy

Just wrapping this thread up.

We wound up getting them an ACR locator beacon. It is very simple -- just activate it to summon help. Another factor was that the ACR does not require a GPS subscription. My son also likes it.

Thanks all for your input and PMs. Happy New Year and stay safe.

Support WFF | Remove the Ads

Support WFF by upgrading your account. Site supporters benefits include no ads and access to some additional features, few now, more in the works. Info

Latest posts