Odd question; Can you use a spey rod with a centerpin reel?

pointbob

HI all

I hope I'm in the right section. I have a friend with a spey rod and I'm considering buying it ~ but I would like to use it with my centerpin reel on occassion. Traditionally I'd use a mooching rod but would there be any real drawbacks with using a spey? guide damage or? I'd be running 20lb mono or braid as the mainline. Any thoughts...Sorry if it's a dumb question...

ECHOGLASS.jpg

hYf0lSVCe2IJN8mAaGIDzbolyLYkFEP9DrZ18dZkt5Oa5nvRUVAP1Q5UHsgasAl9Upn8Pb-vDVsEzPOGpryjymR8e4_Ks9zE7EYIEGGfMM_-6-LxWQ

bhudda

heffe'
Finding the balance may be the key, usually pin reels sit higher up the handle, where as Spey reels sit towards the bottom hand. I’ve seen it done with rods that have sliding rings as opposed to a reel seat. Good luck

Gary swenson

Balance would be off, and you would be fishing with both hands 100% of the time. The biggest thing though is the limitation of only BC casting style, so it would only fish where there’s a lot of casting room. That being said, I’ve caught quite a few steelhead doing that. Works but not ideal.

Gary swenson

Canadians fish with that style in BC mainly, but the reel higher up on the grip is more Great Lakes style. Would suggest just buying a long spinning rod for the pin reel instead. Very comfortable and versatile.

herkileez

WFF Supporter
Being a glass fly rod, the tip will be soft in comparison to a pin rod, so you'd need to watch what kind of weight you're slinging. (and it would be a crime to break such a nice rod) Two good, inexpensive choices for a pin rod are Shimano Convergence or Okuma SST...both around $100.
Save that nice glass rod for what it's meant for.

sroffe

There are some that will build up a centerpin rod using a spey blank. As others have said your balance will be off because where the real sits.

JesseC

You could use sliding rings and electrical tape to plop the reel on wherever you’d like.

likely the more annoying factor will be the “stickiness” of the Spey guides vs typical gear guides. I haven’t tried it, maybe it’s not a big deal.

So, it’ll hold you over for a while. Then, you’ll justify buying a perfect pin setup down the line.

no big deal!

BDD

A few years ago I wanted a 4-piece center pin rod but they didn't have any blanks back then. So I ordered up a 4-piece Spey rod blank and had a traditional center pin handle put on instead of a fly rod handle (the reel seat sat higher up on the handle). I even caught a steelhead on it the one and only time I ever used. Turned out I liked pinning with a bobber only a tad more than I liked bobber fishing with a fly rod and don't think I have used it since. Maybe I'll use it again some day...or will sell it.

herkileez

WFF Supporter
A few years ago I wanted a 4-piece center pin rod but they didn't have any blanks back then. So I ordered up a 4-piece Spey rod blank and had a traditional center pin handle put on instead of a fly rod handle (the reel seat sat higher up on the handle). I even caught a steelhead on it the one and only time I ever used. Turned out I liked pinning with a bobber only a tad more than I liked bobber fishing with a fly rod and don't think I have used it since. Maybe I'll use it again some day...or will sell it.

Last edited:

dustinchromers

I used to take a pin reel along with me in the kayak or on long walks and one rod. I'd get out, swing the run, then attach the pin reel and work back up to the canoe. It works but not as well as a dedicated rod

DerekWhipple

Mount it on the reel seat. It's fine. The only difference between a short spey rod with a centerpin reel on the reel seat and what they use up in BC is the line guides (double foot instead of snake guides). That's it. In fact, most BC'ers use rods 10-11 feet long, about as long as a switch rod.

If you are new to this, I would strongly advise you spool up with 20lb ultragreen/chameleon/p-line CXX. If you put braid on there, you are asking for trouble.

If it's a 7 or 8 weight spey rod, try a 3/4 oz. float and weight. If it's too uncomfortable to have the reel back there, then you can fuss with taping it higher up the rod.

DerekWhipple

Here is someone doing a swing-style cast with a Milner reel and a Sage CP rod (the "quintessential" PNW steelhead/salmon setup). This is the "BC" grip style.

dustinchromers

Mount it on the reel seat. It's fine. The only difference between a short spey rod with a centerpin reel on the reel seat and what they use up in BC is the line guides (double foot instead of snake guides). That's it. In fact, most BC'ers use rods 10-11 feet long, about as long as a switch rod.

If you are new to this, I would strongly advise you spool up with 20lb ultragreen/chameleon/p-line CXX. If you put braid on there, you are asking for trouble.

If it's a 7 or 8 weight spey rod, try a 3/4 oz. float and weight. If it's too uncomfortable to have the reel back there, then you can fuss with taping it higher up the rod.

Super solid advice here. Pay attention. I will reiterate that braid on pins is a horrible combination as a rule. Yes rules get broken but they are still rules.

image.jpg I have been using this setup this fall. If you are going to tape your reel on you should take precautions so you don’t damage your cork.

I first wrapped saran wrap to protect the cork from the black electrical tape adhesive. Then I wrapped a lotion tube with the ends cut off to prevent the cork from being indented by the reel foot.

This works well except that it is obviously a pain to take off and on. So if you want to be able to switch tactics on the fly this isn’t the way to go.

I also taped some lead onto the reel seat area to get the balance.

cdnred

Being a glass fly rod, the tip will be soft in comparison to a pin rod, so you'd need to watch what kind of weight you're slinging. (and it would be a crime to break such a nice rod) Two good, inexpensive choices for a pin rod are Shimano Convergence or Okuma SST...both around $100.
Save that nice glass rod for what it's meant for.
I'm with you on this one spend the few bucks and get the proper rod, you'll thank everyone later. It may work but taping a reel to a rod just looks "mickey mouse" and cheap. A new rod isn't all that expensive and will save you a lot of grief later..
1608379473776.png

Support WFF | Remove the Ads

Support WFF by upgrading your account. Site supporters benefits include no ads and access to some additional features, few now, more in the works. Info

Latest posts