Trip Report Grand Canyon fly fishing

I've been invited on a Colorado Grand Canyon float in April. Is it worth bringing fly gear for Marble Canyon and upper river? Can you fish any of the tributary streams?
Are there striped bass in the lower river and are they catchable?
Thanks for any information or referrals, Mark

kpb

WFF Supporter
Yes. Bring your fly gear but keep it simple. My last trip (2015) I used a bugger exclusively and caught about as many fish as I wanted to. Fish were smaller than previous trips - biggest about 14". Simple midge nymph patterns like zebra's work well. 4 or 5 wt. Floating line is OK but consider a sink tip -lots of deeper water. If Pariah is clear fishing will be be good above LCR and can be good lower if LCR isn't making river too muddy. Sight fish at Nankoweap and eddies just below. Fish will be at all flowing side creeks. Have caught trout down to Deer Cr.

Freestone

WFF Supporter
One of the best parts about bringing a rod is that when you need to get away from everyone, you have the perfect excuse without seeming antisocial! Sometimes, I fished terrible water just to get away but no one was the wiser, lol. If you can, get there a few days early and fish Lees Ferry or hire a guide to take you up into Glen Canyon.

Have fun!

Chucker

Chucking a dead parrot on a piece of string!
When I did it the river was high and the color of chocolate milk. Needless to say, I didn’t catch any fish in the main river. The clear tributaries were good.

Whitewater

Yes, trout are found as far south as the Little Colorado confluence, maybe farther.

Ditto what Freestone said about getting there early and do a guided trip upstream of Lee's Ferry.

scottybs

The walkin at Lee’s Ferry can be AWESOME, that being said, last time I fished it the quality/quantity had eroded a bit. Think small zebra midges, and don’t be afraid to tie some with unorthodox colors, especially the bead head. Good luck

mjb

Found this

Do you know you’re put in and take out spots ?

J
It's the full meal deal, Lee's Ferry to Lake Mead. That's why is was asking about striped bass at the bottom. And why I'm concerned about bringing the right but not too much gear!

Reactions: jwg

Scott Salzer

previously micro brew
WFF Supporter
There are some BIG fish above Lee’s Ferry. Buggers are a good choice for your float. Nothing big but fun to get the rod out for camp set up. The little Colorado can dump a bunch of silt into the main river making fishing impossible.
It’s a great trip, done it four times.

Big Rob

There are some BIG fish above Lee’s Ferry. Buggers are a good choice for your float. Nothing big but fun to get the rod out for camp set up. The little Colorado can dump a bunch of silt into the main river making fishing impossible.
It’s a great trip, done it four times.
Yeah. Good times here. We usually go in early Aug. Wrap your head around the times they release water... We rented a boat @Lees Ferry and headed all the way up to the dam and floated back down and got off the water just as the flows increased. Ran into a huge squall one year and had to hit the shoreline to seek cover. After it passed, the sun came out and we were met with hundreds of waterfalls off the mesa walls. A site to see for sure.

Big Rob

Nothing like the pigs on all the internet pictures. In all our trips we've not landed anything bigger than 16s. I havent been in a few years as my fam living there is back in the PNW.
If I get there in the future, i'll be sure to have a trout spey...

flyfishmt

I can’t speak for fishing during the river float. When I did that, there was very little time or water to fish. However, the water around Lee‘s Ferry can be great depending on river flows. If the water at the Paria walk-in is clear, you can do real well there on streamers, scuds, midges, SJW and other nymphs. The river above Lee’s Ferry is pretty much only fishable from a boat. You can rent one from Lee’s Ferry anglers if you feel you have the skills to navigate the river up towards the dam. Depending on river flows, you can anchor and wade fish the riffles. If the water is high, then dead drift and fish along the river banks and hit the back eddie’s. If the flows are such that you can get up to the dam, there is a great riffle on river right just below the wire that fishes really well. As another member mentioned, if your budget allows, hire a guide. It is a unique fishery and those guys have it dialed in. Between the fishing and the upriver scenery, I do not think you will leave disappointed..

Support WFF | Remove the Ads

Support WFF by upgrading your account. Site supporters benefits include no ads and access to some additional features, few now, more in the works. Info

Latest posts