Hodgman came through!

skyriver

Hi guys,
I know there was a post about Hodgman H-Lock boots coming apart sooner than desired. I had a similar issue with their H3 boot.

My H3s were purchased in June 2018 on Hodgman's (now Purefishing) Amazon store. Obviously past the 1 year warranty. They have only been on clean rivers and only out about 25 days total. 25 hard days, but still...only 25.
I have never worn them in salt and don't wear them to the lakes. I also always put them on a shoe dryer rack, but not plugged in so no heat. Heat is bad for most wading boots and Hodgman says right in their literature not to use heat.
Well, after my last river trip in November, they looked like this:
H3Boots.jpg

Sole coming apart from both shoes, but in different spots. Now, I did put Goat Head studs in them so maybe the increased traction was more than they were ready for. Regardless, I was not happy. I sent a big long sad story on email. Mentioned things like:
-I've been fly fishing since 1980 and my first pair of wading boots were Hodgmans. They were canvas and lasted for several years of abuse.
-I had a pair of Simms Freestones that lasted nearly 20 years with a few of those years involving 100 days on the river. (I got my $$s worth from those!)
-Even a discount pair of Redington Skagits purchased more than a year before the H3s are holding up better despite the fact I use them in the salt of Puget Sound.

Well, maybe they've turned a corner or just didn't want to get an even whinier phone call. They replied only 10 days later asking for my shipping address. Well, today I received a new pair of boots! And they didn't send the H3s (which I said I would be totally happy with), but instead sent the Vion H-Lock with rubber soles installed and felt soles included in the box!

20201218_153354.jpg

They are pretty much the opposite of the H3s. They look a big clunky and I've seen some reviews that mention that. But considering I would have been happy with a pair of H3s I'm very happy that they sent me these. I'll be sure to buy Hodgman wading shoes again after these.

So if you recently had any issue with Hodgmans it might be worth trying their customer service. Seems maybe things have changed for the better.

Early and unexpected Christmas!

Matt B

WFF Supporter
Hi guys,
I know there was a post about Hodgman H-Lock boots coming apart sooner than desired. I had a similar issue with their H3 boot.

My H3s were purchased in June 2018 on Hodgman's (now Purefishing) Amazon store. Obviously past the 1 year warranty. They have only been on clean rivers and only out about 25 days total. 25 hard days, but still...only 25.
I have never worn them in salt and don't wear them to the lakes. I also always put them on a shoe dryer rack, but not plugged in so no heat. Heat is bad for most wading boots and Hodgman says right in their literature not to use heat.
View attachment 264713

Sole coming apart from both shoes, but in different spots. Now, I did put Goat Head studs in them so maybe the increased traction was more than they were ready for. Regardless, I was not happy. I sent a big long sad story on email. Mentioned things like:
-I've been fly fishing since 1980 and my first pair of wading boots were Hodgmans. They were canvas and lasted for several years of abuse.
-I had a pair of Simms Freestones that lasted nearly 20 years with a few of those years involving 100 days on the river. (I got my $$s worth from those!)
-Even a discount pair of Redington Skagits purchased more than a year before the H3s are holding up better despite the fact I use them in the salt of Puget Sound.

Well, maybe they've turned a corner or just didn't want to get an even whinier phone call. They replied only 10 days later asking for my shipping address. Well, today I received a new pair of boots! And they didn't send the H3s (which I said I would be totally happy with), but instead sent the Vion H-Lock with rubber soles installed and felt soles included in the box!

View attachment 264715

They are pretty much the opposite of the H3s. They look a big clunky and I've seen some reviews that mention that. But considering I would have been happy with a pair of H3s I'm very happy that they sent me these. I'll be sure to buy Hodgman wading shoes again after these.

So if you recently had any issue with Hodgmans it might be worth trying their customer service. Seems maybe things have changed for the better.

After roping chrome you can clip right into your Libtech board with those babies!

b_illymac

Soap Lake Posse
WFF Moderator
Hi guys,

View attachment 264713

View attachment 264715

Good to hear. Few years back after a message describing my situation they told me to cut my waders off at the foot and take a picture for replacement to be sent. So I did. Then they said they didn't honor the online store I got them NIB from. So this left me with waders with the feet cut off. I vowed never to buy a product from them again after that but I am glad to hear they took care of you.

cdnred

Good to hear. Few years back after a message describing my situation they told me to cut my waders off at the foot and take a picture for replacement to be sent. So I did. Then they said they didn't honor the online store I got them NIB from. So this left me with waders with the feet cut off. I vowed never to buy a product from them again after that but I am glad to hear they took care of you.
I would've thought that at the point were they told you to cut your waders, it would already have been considered to a done deal. That's very bad PR on their part, I wouldn't have supported them after that either..:mad:

cdnred

Hi guys,

View attachment 264713

View attachment 264715

"sent the Vion H-Lock with rubber soles installed and felt soles included in the box".. From what you described, they sound like a similar design that Korkers use. How do you like them and how would you compare them to Korkers..? Do they provide for enough ankle support and the soles remain securely on place without fear of falling off..?

skyriver

"sent the Vion H-Lock with rubber soles installed and felt soles included in the box".. From what you described, they sound like a similar design that Korkers use. How do you like them and how would you compare them to Korkers..? Do they provide for enough ankle support and the soles remain securely on place without fear of falling off..?
I haven't even tried them on with waders yet, but they're pretty beefy. We'll see when I actually get out there. With the coordinated push and twist to get the soles off I don't see them coming off in the field. It's all plastic so we'll see how long they last. And not sure about putting studs in them. Probably just buy their studded ones and see how they do. Pretty sure those are rubber with studs though. I'm a "felt with studs" guy. I can rock hop with the best of them (at least in my age group ;) ), but like having the sure footed feel on rivers like the Deschutes that get slimey.

skyriver

Yeah, not cool at all. I know a guy with a similar, not quite as terrible, tale. I can't imagine having a business in fly fishing and giving poor customer service like that. It seems about the time Hodgman was finally getting good, they immediately got really bad.
Maybe I just got lucky, but I would have to think they must be different now. Or, they have a big problem specific to the H3s. Despite overall good reviews, I'm seeing H3s as low as $55 out there now. Looks like they just want them to go away. I think they're one of the most comfortable, yet supportive wading boots I've ever had. Especially considering I paid less than $100 for them. Too bad if they're having trouble with them.
We'll see how the H-Locks do.

Support WFF | Remove the Ads

Support WFF by upgrading your account. Site supporters benefits include no ads and access to some additional features, few now, more in the works. Info