Preferred hooks for smaller chironomids?

troutpocket

What do you like? I am starting some winter tying and would like to crank out a few dozen chironomids in 16-18’s. The smallest I currently stock are on AJ Covert nymph 15’s. Heavy wire, decent gape are must haves. Down or straight eye. Curved or straight shank.

Shawn Seeger

(aka. wabowhunter)
WFF Supporter
What do you like? I am starting some winter tying and would like to crank out a few dozen chironomids in 16-18’s. The smallest I currently stock are on AJ Covert nymph 15’s. Heavy wire, decent gape are must haves. Down or straight eye. Curved or straight shank.
TMC 2499SP-BL, For us it seems like when trying chironomids with this hook it is one size smaller. So if you want a 16 tie on a 14 hook, or a 18 tie on 16 hook. And they don't bend, straighten out break on us.
IMG_20200413_113004607~2.jpg

troutpocket

Thanks all. Good ideas so far. I wish these were available in smaller sizes. The 14’s are closer to 12’s from other brands.

Bones

I am a big fan of Alec Jackson chironomid hooks! I believe Diachi manufactures to Alecs specs. Sharp and have always been consistent in quality. Size of hooks go down to a 17.

Or

jaredoconnor

WFF Supporter
I like heavy wire on everything below #14, even dries.

For straight hooks, I like J2 207 or Daiichi 1310. They are both 1x short, so you should buy one size higher than your intended size. This has the added benefits of effectively making the wire heavier and the gape larger. If you're contact nymphing, the larger eye size also helps accommodate larger beads. The J2 is slightly heavier than the Daiichi.

For curved hooks, I like J2 500 or Daiichi 1120. They are both 1x short, but the whole point of curved hooks is to tie further down the bend. Thus, I consider these true to size. The Daiichi is slightly heavier than the J2.

Buzzy

Maruto c40HW. A curved shank hook similar to a Mustad c53S or Tiemco 200R but heavier wire. I usually tie on an 18 which is a half an inch overall length and perfect. I just received a box of 1000.
I really like this hook too but they're not imported to the USA (unless something has changed since the first of the year).

Squamishpoacher

Coast Sportfish in Parksville BC has them and they ship to the US. CDN $7.99 a 25 pack which is about US $6.25. I like them because they're the strongest curved shank nymph hook I've come across. The largest trout I got last year was on a size 20 black with a brown thread rib and a 5/64 black tungsten bead. I never weighed it but I figured it was around 9 lbs. The hook didn't bend a single degree.

Buzzy

Coast Sportfish in Parksville BC has them and they ship to the US. CDN $7.99 a 25 pack which is about US $6.25. I like them because they're the strongest curved shank nymph hook I've come across. The largest trout I got last year was on a size 20 black with a brown thread rib and a 5/64 black tungsten bead. I never weighed it but I figured it was around 9 lbs. The hook didn't bend a single degree.
Thanks for the tip, Glenn! (Hope that 2021 the borders open so we can enjoy some of BC's bounty.)

Hookset

WFF Supporter
I use both Hanak 300BL and Firehole 316. They’re lighter wire but sharp and set well like a needle. Since I tie basically Zebra Midge style, I use silver tungsten beads which drops these light hooks quickly to fishing depth. I’m using holographic tinsel with either silver or red wire for ribbing. All these flies are coated with UV thin cement for durability.

Bob Newman

Daiichi 1150 has a bit larger wire than the 1130. That said the 1120 is the same size wire as the Dai Riki 135. Stout enough for steelhead in a size 6. Daiichi has recently come out with the 1920 series which has the same size wire as the 1120 and is barbless. It also comes in different colors.

Support WFF | Remove the Ads

Support WFF by upgrading your account. Site supporters benefits include no ads and access to some additional features, few now, more in the works. Info

Latest posts