Nickel Silver ferrules

Tim Cottage

Formerly tbc1415
WFF Supporter
I would think the tip will be overloaded by a full sink on those Dickerson tapers. It should basically work but I doubt turnover will be as good as it should be. Your mileage may vary.

I have a hollow built 8014 made by the late Steve Kiley that I have put a lot of miles on so I'm well aquainted with the taper.

Last edited:

Mark Kadoshima

I would think the tip will be overloaded by a full sink on those Dickerson tapers. It should basically work but I doubt turnover will be as good as it should be. Your mileage may vary.

I have a hollow built 8014 made by the late Steve Kiley that I have put a lot of miles on so I'm well aquainted with the taper.

Mark Kadoshima

Oops...must have pushed the wrong button. Anyway it's the taper from Howell's book and I believe it leans toward a 7wt line. Hoping it will handle the 6wt full sink from my kayak...

I also have the 'pack rod' sectioned with a micro ferrule between the 2nd and 3rd sections (really nice!) and splice ferrules between the other two. I put it together and taped it up to see how it feels. Two things...taping the 3rd to the 4th sections was really difficult as the sections are so fine, and this appears to be a really slow taper. I will be curious if it will handle a 4wt or a 3wt line better. If the rod holds together, I think I'll try the same idea with a heavier and a little shorter taper for a sinking line. My gut tells me this should work and the sections are only 26 inches long.

Tom Bowden

The 8015 Guide has a tip dimension of .095, and the Guide Special is .096. As a comparison, the Dickerson 8014 6-wt. has a tip of .077". Many 8' 6 wt. rods have tips in the .068 - .072 range

As I understand it, these rods were intended for guides who float Michigan rivers in specially designed canoes - see http://www.flyfishingmadness.com/wp-content/uploads/2014/05/ausable_skiff.jpg . The heavy tips are for situations where the client misses his cast and snags the fly in a tree. It's much better to break off the tippet than to snap off the tip of the rod!

The heavy tips also work well on rods used to cast heavy sinking lines, and spey/switch rods. I've caught lots of Pinks from my kayak with an 8015 Guide Special, and use it for casting shooting head lines like the Rio Outbound Short. I think it's a great taper for the way Mark intends to fish it.

Tom

Mark Kadoshima

The 8015 Guide has a tip dimension of .095, and the Guide Special is .096. As a comparison, the Dickerson 8014 6-wt. has a tip of .077". Many 8' 6 wt. rods have tips in the .068 - .072 range

As I understand it, these rods were intended for guides who float Michigan rivers in specially designed canoes - see http://www.flyfishingmadness.com/wp-content/uploads/2014/05/ausable_skiff.jpg . The heavy tips are for situations where the client misses his cast and snags the fly in a tree. It's much better to break off the tippet than to snap off the tip of the rod!

The heavy tips also work well on rods used to cast heavy sinking lines, and spey/switch rods. I've caught lots of Pinks from my kayak with an 8015 Guide Special, and use it for casting shooting head lines like the Rio Outbound Short. I think it's a great taper for the way Mark intends to fish it.

Tom
Wow....snagging a tree is way too accurate.

Support WFF | Remove the Ads

Support WFF by upgrading your account. Site supporters benefits include no ads and access to some additional features, few now, more in the works. Info

Latest posts