MA13 report 12/23

Gary Knowels

A buddy and I got out and fished a few different MA13 beaches today. It was quiet out there. Quiet fishing, quiet beaches, quiet minds.

We geared up on beach 1 at about 8:00 and fished that until 11:30 when the tide was slowing down and the wind was picking up and blowing in our faces. We got 4 hits and landed 1. That one fish was on my first cast of the day. In fact, it was hooked on the first strip of that first cast. 30 seconds and some sketchy line management later, this beauty was in my net.
IMG_20201223_093357.jpg

We broke for lunch, a beer, and went to beach #2. Fished it for about 30 minutes but weren't getting fishy vibes so we moved on to beach #3.

At beach 3, the wind was blocked by the land and it was gorgeous. We fished this beach from 1:30 until dark. 1 hit, Ira's best friend. The scenery and weather were unmatched for December.
IMG_20201223_151930.jpg
IMG_20201223_144948.jpg
IMG_20201223_160406.jpg
IMG_20201223_161758.jpg

All of the beaches we hit today we're new to us and within 45 minutes of home.

Merry Christmas to us!

Irafly

Indi Ira
WFF Supporter
A buddy and I got out and fished a few different MA13 beaches today. It was quiet out there. Quiet fishing, quiet beaches, quiet minds.

We geared up on beach 1 at about 8:00 and fished that until 11:30 when the tide was slowing down and the wind was picking up and blowing in our faces. We got 4 hits and landed 1. That one fish was on my first cast of the day. In fact, it was hooked on the first strip of that first cast. 30 seconds and some sketchy line management later, this beauty was in my net.
View attachment 265276

We broke for lunch, a beer, and went to beach #2. Fished it for about 30 minutes but weren't getting fishy vibes so we moved on to beach #3.

At beach 3, the wind was blocked by the land and it was gorgeous. We fished this beach from 1:30 until dark. 1 hit, Ira's best friend. The scenery and weather were unmatched for December.
View attachment 265277
View attachment 265278
View attachment 265279
View attachment 265280

All of the beaches we hit today we're new to us and within 45 minutes of home.

Merry Christmas to us!

A December sculpin! You lucky duck!

Northern

It's all good.
WFF Supporter
Great staghorn sculpin picture!;)
Steve
Say, cabezon - at one of those same beaches yesterday, I was graced with a sculpin about 8" long, but with lighter markings like a tidepool sculpin, including a distinct cream-colored "V" between its eyes. Sorry, didn't snap a pic...
Any idea on ID?

cabezon

Sculpin Enterprises
WFF Supporter
Say, cabezon - at one of those same beaches yesterday, I was graced with a sculpin about 8" long, but with lighter markings like a tidepool sculpin, including a distinct cream-colored "V" between its eyes. Sorry, didn't snap a pic...
Any idea on ID?
If it has branched opercular spines, I would look up the roughback sculpin, Chitonotus pugetensis. Their heads are narrower than a stag horn sculpin. And they have a brownish ventral cast along the abdomen.
Steve

Last edited:

chrome/22

For him there whould always be the riddle of steel
It it has branched opercular spines, I would look up the roughback sculpin, Chitonotus pugetensis. Their heads are narrower than a stag horn sculpin. And they have a brownish ventral cast along the abdomen.
Steve
You lost me at "if"

wadin' boot

Donny, you're out of your element...
WFF Supporter
Gary, there should be a WFF term for hooking a fish on the first cast and knowing the fish you just hooked would be the last fish you hook the entire day. That the day's one highlight occurred in the first 30 seconds, and you are powerless to change that fate. This has happened to me on more than one occasion and every time I think of what the word should be but cannot get it to form... I think in some ways it is worse when this happens than when you get no strikes at all.

Although there is sculpin resolution to absolve the misery. (Maybe that's why Steve got interested in Sculpin, they are absolution...)

Northern

It's all good.
WFF Supporter
If it has branched opercular spines, I would look up the roughback sculpin, Chitonotus pugetensis. Their heads are narrower than a stag horn sculpin. And they have a brownish ventral cast along the abdomen.
Steve
Thanks, Steve - but in looking up the roughback, I just came across these particular photos of a great sculpin, with that distinctive V on the head. They don't all seem to look like this, but that's what caught my attention with this guy. Definitely wasn't the standard staghorn!
Screenshot_20201224-000034_Chrome.jpg

Gyrfalcon21

Honoring Vets
Gary, there should be a WFF term for hooking a fish on the first cast and knowing the fish you just hooked would be the last fish you hook the entire day. That the day's one highlight occurred in the first 30 seconds, and you are powerless to change that fate.
Ricky Henderson, l think, holds the major league record for lead off home runs in MLB history.
"Rickied" would be appropriate -especially for fans of killing the shutout, no hitter and perfect game.

Perhaps in some game(s) he scored the only run in that first at bat and his team won 1-0.

Edit: Was wrong. See below. I like "Hoopered" best!

You land that first fish, first cast and yell out "Hoooooper!" in Quint's voice from JAWS.
Later, can add Hoopered.

LEADOFF HOME RUNS WINNING GAMES 1-0

Sept.
2,​
1889​
(2)Hardy, Richardson, Bos. N, off H.Boyle, Ind.
Winning pitcher John Clarkson
Apr.
29,​
1906Harry Lumley, Bkn. N, off W. Duggleby, Phil.
Winning pitcher Stricklett (first pitch)
May
30,​
1913(2)Harry Hooper, Bos. A, off W. Johnson, Wash.
Winning pitcher Ray Collins
May
11,​
1915Jim Kelly, Pitt. Fed., off F. Anderson, Bos.
Winning pitcher Clint Rogge (first pitch)
Aug.
11,​
1929Robert Reeves, Bos. A, off W. Stewart, StL.
Winning pitcher Danny MacFayden
June
7,​
1934Len Koenecke, Bkn. N, off Geo. Darrow, Phil
Winning pitcher Emil Leonard
Sept.
2,​
1963(2)Pete Rose, Cin. N, off Jay Hook, N.Y.
Winning pitcher Jim Maloney
June
12,​
1969John Briggs, Phil. N, off Bill Siner, L.A.
Winning pitcher Grant Jackson

Last edited:

cabezon

Sculpin Enterprises
WFF Supporter
Thanks, Steve - but in looking up the roughback, I just came across these particular photos of a great sculpin, with that distinctive V on the head. They don't all seem to look like this, but that's what caught my attention with this guy. Definitely wasn't the standard staghorn!
A great sculpin is another good possibility. Coloration can be unreliable though as many sculpins can change their coloration depending on their environment. But great sculpins can be found on the sorts of gravelly, bouldery beaches where you find staghorn sculpins (and searun cutts). The preopercular spine of the great sculpin is a straight spear, not branched like the staghorn or roughback sculpins. And its head (and mouth) is almost as wide as a staghorn. The only other potential suspect might be a buffalo sculpin which also has a spearlike preopercular spine, but the buffalo sculpin has a smaller mouth and its eyes are closer together. Buffalo sculpins are omnivores, feeding on small crustaceans and algae.
Steve

Support WFF | Remove the Ads

Support WFF by upgrading your account. Site supporters benefits include no ads and access to some additional features, few now, more in the works. Info

Latest posts