Washington Fly Fishing Forum banner

Your Favorite Gear Of All Time

10K views 91 replies 72 participants last post by  BC33 
#1 · (Edited)
I feel like we need a positive version of the worst rod of 2020 thread! What's your favorite fishing related items, of all time? It can be anything; rods, reels, gadgets, doodads, etc.

8ft 4wt Redington Classic Trout Rod
I sold this rod a while back, because I no longer had a use for it. However, this was by far the best rod I've ever had and also one of the cheapest. I don't know why, but it just felt good to fish with.

Redington Clark Fork Mesh Vest
I started out with a hand-me-down vest, when I was about 10. It took 20 years of playing around with every "best" new pack system, to realize that there's nothing better than a vest. This is a simple, cheap, vest that has everything I need and nothing I don't.

Renzetti Traveler Vise
I've had this vise for about a decade now and I'm still impressed with it. It will probably be my last vise.

Tacky Fly Boxes
These fly boxes are inexpensive, but make every other fly box I've used seem like garbage.

See less See more
#32 ·
1994 Honda Accord Sedan

Internal Space: With the backseats folded forward, I can fit several fully rigged 10' rods through the trunk. Screw your rod vault.

Gas Mileage: 32 mpg. Where I live, my "local" fishing is 50+ miles away and mostly paved. I'm closing in on 300,000mi. Screw your AWD, 4WD, lift kit, crawl control, etc.

Curb Appeal (or Lack Thereof): Ain't nobody thinking this thing holds any valuables. Screw your broken windows.

***Edit: In no way is this a response to Kfish posting his 4Runner. Nice rig man.

#38 ·
Nick- I second your thoughts re: the one piece 7-weight Hardy rod. That was the best rod I ever casted. I am a hack at casting, but this was truly a wonderful machine. I tripped on a tree root and snapped it when I fell. They wouldn't send a 1 piece replacement, and I didn't like, and then sold, the 4 piece that I received via the warranty.

The only bummer was that you needed a full 18 linear feet to get it in the case!

#39 ·
Hah Ya that's what has kept me from fishing it lately. I loved it fishing the beaches and it wasn't a big deal dealing with the 1 piece with my truck, but out on the boat, especially guiding its a pain. I keep the rods Im not using broken down in reel on rod cases so they are semi out of the way and protected, but with the 1 piece there is no place where its not in the way and at risk of being crunched if its not in use.

Its been standing in the corner of my living room unfished for a few years. I keep thinking I should sell it but god I enjoy it so much I haven't had the heart to do so.

I've wondered how they would respond if I broke it. Good to know. Ive never thrown any other Zenith rods, including the 4 piece blanks, but man this one is such a gem.

#41 ·
Any waders I had that didn't leak.
All the walking sticks picked up off a beach that kept me from falling in the river more than I did without them.
My versatile 20' Fishcraft that gets me
river rishing, lake fishing, crabbing etc.

2013-10-06 17.13.12.jpg

My Outcast 9' pontoon boat, I love that little craft. Absolutely one of my best purchases ever.
20160507_140737.jpg
P6170007.JPG

The war room. Nuff said.
20200323_113154.jpg

I really don't have a favorite rod/reel combo. I have many (too many) and my favorite is the one I'm using at the time depending on the species.

Also my cell phone. It keeps me on WFF whenever I want to be, takes great pictures of all my wandering and adventures and gives me a feeling of reassurance in my golden years whilst traipsing about hither and yon. :)

#59 ·
The problem with being a long time dedicated gear whore is you get to too many choices. I keep circling back and forth, f’ing with stuff more than using it. Not the worst problem, but kind of an unexpected problem nonetheless. I have a few favorite rods, probably top of the list being an Epic 686 fiberglass, and out of a closet full of carry shit probably a Filson strap vest. I’ll stop there, but the choices are different for small streams or saltwater.

#60 ·
Ross Flyrise II reel, 100 bucks... first fly reel I bought. Die cast frame but with the same drag as other Ross models. I've had it for five years now, beat the shit out of it and the spare spool. It's never had any problems and functionally hasn't changed one bit after being jarred around, dunked in the salt, and landing who knows how many fish. My other reels? Not so, and they all cost more.

I'm a big fan of the Airflo 40+ lines. It's stupid how easy they are to cast and how far they fly. Whether launching a 5 inch fly 100 feet into a coastal wind or delivering a soft hackle 100 feet across a broad tidewater slough... the 40+ is a great tool that greatly expands the water I can fish, and makes it easy to do so.

A bead with a size 6 gama hook.
Just kidding.

White streamers (with a little olive) of any and all kinds!

Reactions: wanative
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.