Has anyone tied with troll hair?(Icelandic sheep hair)

Saltycutthroat

WFF Supporter
I was just scrolling around online and I saw a picture of a troll. You know, those kids toys that have the wacky colored hair. The hair caught my eye, because it looks like it would be pretty good for material for tying the intruder style patterns I’ve been tying. After a quick google search I come to find that the hair is made from Icelandic sheep hair.

Does anyone use this material currently? If so, how does it hold up? I know that marabou can fall apart once it starts getting really cold, so I’m trying to find materials to replace that.

Yard Sale

Huge Member
My daughter is all about trolls these days and all hers are built with a synthetic material that looks like craft fur. Crap tying material in my opinion. Plenty of natural Fox type hair out there that’s much better.

Saltycutthroat

WFF Supporter
My daughter is all about trolls these days and all hers are built with a synthetic material that looks like craft fur. Crap tying material in my opinion. Plenty of natural Fox type hair out there that’s much better.
Interesting. Regardless, do you have any experience with Icelandic sheep hair?

SquatchinSince86

I like it. Nice movement with a good amount of shimmer. Better than craft fur by a couple miles.

I have also seen it marketed as fish fur.

Attachments

• 20201214_214621.jpg
    20201214_214621.jpg
    1.8 MB · Views: 16
  • 20201214_204736.jpg
    20201214_204736.jpg
    919.2 KB · Views: 16

miyawaki

For years up until recently my poppers that have sold at most fly shops were tied with Icelandic Sheep Hair that was sold commercially as Streamer Hair by Fish Hunter. It worked well in the water but would foul occasionally.

Leland.

Saltycutthroat

WFF Supporter
For years up until recently my poppers that have sold at most fly shops were tied with Icelandic Sheep Hair that was sold commercially as Streamer Hair by Fish Hunter. It worked well in the water but would foul occasionally.

Leland.
Thank you for the info!

flybill

A collector never stops collecting!
WFF Supporter
I probably have some Icelandic Sheep in multiple colors and have used it and Temple Dog in flies before. Plus others, natural hair is preferable in most cases imho, especially for big intruders, tubes and other articulated flies. There are some nice synthetic materials, but if you have access to or are willing to spend the money go for the best you can $wing! (pun intended)

candr

I use it a fair amount for streamers. I buy it as “fiber” or “roving” that is normally used for spinning ( I think). Ten dollars will get you a large bag of undyed Icelandic fiber. I “card” the fiber (basically align the individual fibers) and then dye it whatever color I need. Veniard dyes work well and have good fly tying colors (any acid dye will work). The raw fiber takes dye very well. I usually blend it with bucktail dyed to match. This reduces hook fouling. Check out paradise fibers online to see a lot of different wool fibers that work well for fly tying. Devon wool works well (more course fiber than Icelandic) and I use Merino in a lot of leech patterns. Angelina fiber is a synthetic that is also worth buying in bulk to blend with other fibers for tying. Easy to go down a rabbit hole with this stuff but tying with quality material is worth it.

Saltycutthroat

WFF Supporter
I use it a fair amount for streamers. I buy it as “fiber” or “roving” that is normally used for spinning ( I think). Ten dollars will get you a large bag of undyed Icelandic fiber. I “card” the fiber (basically align the individual fibers) and then dye it whatever color I need. Veniard dyes work well and have good fly tying colors (any acid dye will work). The raw fiber takes dye very well. I usually blend it with bucktail dyed to match. This reduces hook fouling. Check out paradise fibers online to see a lot of different wool fibers that work well for fly tying. Devon wool works well (more course fiber than Icelandic) and I use Merino in a lot of leech patterns. Angelina fiber is a synthetic that is also worth buying in bulk to blend with other fibers for tying. Easy to go down a rabbit hole with this stuff but tying with quality material is worth it.
Thank you for the very informative response.

Support WFF | Remove the Ads

Support WFF by upgrading your account. Site supporters benefits include no ads and access to some additional features, few now, more in the works. Info

Latest posts