How to get started tying?

redband02

I used to teach a lot of fly tying to kids, both in schools and at kid's camps. I found that Scott Cesari's Beginner Fly Tying Class provided a helpful outline starting with basic flies and next class adding some more difficulty. Just about all the suggestions above are great and you won't go wrong with them. Lock your wallet and credit cards into a safe. Tell you a story. I was walking down the street in West Yellowstone on a early Sunday morning. I walked past Blue Ribbon Flies, which was closed. About a half a block later I looked into my wallet and 50 dollars was gone. LOL

Olive bugger

Another source is join a fly fishing club. A wealth of information there. But the advise to start with the easy stuff is sage advise. As far as identifying materials, visit some fly shops and ask questions.

LilCutts

fish & whistle
WFF Supporter
Another source is join a fly fishing club. A wealth of information there. But the advise to start with the easy stuff is sage advise. As far as identifying materials, visit some fly shops and ask questions.
The WFFC has monthly fly tying sessions via Zoom. I’d get one pattern down first (YouTube has tons of how-tos). PM me if you’d like an invite. Plenty of fly shops also offer fly tying classes, and so does the WFFC.

Support WFF | Remove the Ads

Support WFF by upgrading your account. Site supporters benefits include no ads and access to some additional features, few now, more in the works. Info

Latest posts