Help identifying old fly rod

soshoenice

Good evening everyone, I’m just getting into the sport of fly fishing and I received this pole as a gift a few years back. I took the pole into orvis earlier today and the advice I was given was to come here and ask the opinion of the forum. They suspected it to be a bamboo rod and old however I nor them are certain of anything. If anyone knows what this pole is or what it is worth I’d appreciate the knowledge. Also I’m wondering if this is a pole I should use or if I would be better off getting a new set up. thank you everyone for your time and I hope you all had a wonderful holiday season.

Attachments

• 9F8AACD2-95FE-4ED0-BAB9-13ED8B1C0A6E.jpeg
    9F8AACD2-95FE-4ED0-BAB9-13ED8B1C0A6E.jpeg
    1.6 MB · Views: 201
  • 7B62EC8E-6B0E-4EFE-8384-8265182457F4.jpeg
    7B62EC8E-6B0E-4EFE-8384-8265182457F4.jpeg
    2.1 MB · Views: 203
  • C45D5552-C952-4928-9599-0D08BD1D9A21.jpeg
    C45D5552-C952-4928-9599-0D08BD1D9A21.jpeg
    1.9 MB · Views: 199

soshoenice

As a pole, what you have there is worth about $1.29. If it's a bamboo fly rod by a major rod maker it looks to be worth at least $150, and it could be worth a lot more if it can be identified.
Thanks for the response! Any suggestions on how to identify the rod?

rawalker

there should be some markings/writing near the handle: maker. line weight, something that would give a clue. If there is, clear, close-up photos would be a great help.

Greg Armstrong

WFF Supporter
All bamboo rods are pretty in their own way, as someone had to take some time and build them by hand.
This one appears to me to be a lower grade rod that has been re-done at some point, or at the very least it's been re-varnished. It appears to have a short tip (all sections are normally the same length) and it is also missing the second tip (most bamboo rods came with two tips).

There is an "Appraisal and ID" section on the Classic Fly Rod forum http://classicflyrodforum.com/forum/ that would/could give you more details.

soshoenice

All bamboo rods are pretty in their own way, as someone had to take some time and build them by hand.
This one appears to me to be a lower grade rod that has been re-done at some point, or at the very least it's been re-varnished. It appears to have a short tip (all sections are normally the same length) and it is also missing the second tip (most bamboo rods came with two tips).

There is an "Appraisal and ID" section on the Classic Fly Rod forum http://classicflyrodforum.com/forum/ that would/could give you more details.

I really appreciate this thought out well written response and thank you for the additional link, You’re the man.

soshoenice

there should be some markings/writing near the handle: maker. line weight, something that would give a clue. If there is, clear, close-up photos would be a great help.
Sadly I haven't been able to find any markings on the pole, but thank you for the suggestion.

Canuck from Kansas

WFF Supporter
As mentioned, all sections should be the same length, from the photos, all 3 sections appear to be different lengths; thus, the rod is likely not from a well-known builder and/or it has undergone significant rework/restoration (my suspicion is the former), or both. Either way, resale "value" is likely not very high; however, personal "value" can be a very different thing, it was a gift, there may be some interesting history or story behind it. I would take it for a spin or 2, you never know, it may turn out to be the best rod you ever fished, but you will never know til you try it (just my 2 cents).

Cheers

rawalker

If you go to the Classic Flyrod Forum, there is an appraisal/identification section. Read the requirements as far as what information and photos are needed to post and possibly someone can ID it based on the ferrules, reel seat, etc. There are some very knowledgeable people on that forum

kmudgn

The pedigree of your rod lends little to your use/enjoyment of same. Put another way, a rescued mutt from the pound can be just as good a companion as a $2,000 pure bred

Steve Kokita

FISHON206
Like suggested, I’d start with a 5 wt dry line and lawn cast it, bamboo is different than casting plastic rods. If it doesn’t cast/load well, try a 6wt. The sections look the same length to me, can you measure them for us? It also looks to have a swelled butt like a Shakespeare I have.
11B7E521-33D6-4A0F-93E4-FC8BC65E43D9.jpeg C0A400C9-1471-479F-9EA1-668675684AB0.jpeg

Olive bugger

In my book, bamboo is a special critter. I have never owned one, but I have been around them a bit. Please keep us informed on what you find, and if you try it out for a test drive.

Bonsai

Jerry
I am not the best fly fisherman. I don't cast real well. I don't always catch fish. I was over 60 when I caught my first fish on a fly with a 50 year old fiberglass rod and an 80 year old Pflueger reel. I bought my first graphite rod a week later. After obtaining a quiver full of graphite rods, I noticed I had my Dad's 80 year old bamboo fly rod. That was 10 years ago. Now I have a quiver full of bamboo fly rods and I love everyone of them. Some are good rods made by some of the better makers. A lot of them came to me as junk, worth mothing and I reworked them. I don't know if I will ever buy another modern rod. Unless I can get around my wife and buy a Bill Oyster bamboo rod.

Support WFF | Remove the Ads

Support WFF by upgrading your account. Site supporters benefits include no ads and access to some additional features, few now, more in the works. Info

Latest posts