Good deeds done on the water

chrome/22

For him there whould always be the riddle of steel
As this gong show of a year winds down let's hear some positivity. I'll start this thread off as it was more of my fishing buddy's good deed than mine.

Oh, this must be close to 20 years ago or so but here we go. We got off to a late start drifting the mid Wynoochie, we must have been near the end of the days boat parade. Nice day as I remember water was at a decent flow and a few fish around, we're working our way downriver and I swear I hear some shouting from way downstream swear it's like..... NO, YOU DUMBSHIT..... NO! then nothing, just the river.

We work our way down to a hard river left corner and there they are 2 drifters with their tin can flipped sideways and pinned up against a stout logjam. We slide in just above them and drop the hook on the Clackie to see what's up. They tell us the story & we offer to help, no go even with the 4 of us yanking on it, my buddy looks up to a farmhouse up above us & volunteers to go see if you can get some more help. Well, he's gone for about 20 minutes and then comes back with his old school Crosscut saw, he said nobody was home but he kind of poked around in the barn and he found this. Well I kinda laughed cuz the thing looks like it was made in the 1800's and who knows the last time it's been sharpened but ol Albert goes to work on the logjam at the point where you think that'll help free the boat so we hack on this log for close to forever and finally do enough damage that it cracks off and we're able to get some movement on the boat, we move some gravel do some bailing and boom there we go the tin can is upright! It's none too pretty, bent and battered but fairly watertight.

So we bid them fairwell thinking we can get to work on the well rested fish below us as not 1 other boat has passed us. Well look at this, it's a yard sale of gear below as we push off, start finding rods & reels, waterlogged tackle boxes, a bag of chrispy Cheetos, life vests stuck on tree limbs, bait box, ice chests & a few longneck Molson Ice singles bobbing in back eddys, you name it.

We start stashing their gear where they will find it. It was some entertainment trying to guess what we'd find next, I honestly can't remember if we ever found the fish, but will always remember their happy faces & sincere thanks.

c/22

Last edited:

Gary Thompson

dirty dog
Many years ago my friend and I are fishing the Deschutes river south of Bend, OR.
We are above a falls in the river by a quarter mile or so. Sorry I don't remember the name of the falls.
Any way we spot a canoe paddle floating by. I send my dog after it and as she is bring the paddle back a PFD is going by, my friend sends his dog after the PFD.
All total our dogs retrieve two PFD's, the paddle, a small cooler and they help the two guys bring their water logged canoe to shore.
They lost their fishing gear.
I would like to think those two dogs saved those guys lives.

IHFISH

WFF Supporter
A few years back my sister and her family were visiting my in-laws' cabin on the Tacoma Narrows. I took my daughter, niece, nephew and sister out in my FIL's smokercraft to see if we can get the kids into a few flatfish or dogfish. We're close to shore out of the strong current, but see and hear two young women and two SOT kayaks in the middle of the narrows. There are a couple PDFs clipped to the back of one of the kayaks....One of the women is in the water, holding onto the kayak she'd fallen out of with one hand and the kayak her friend was in with the other hand. As you'd expect, they were moving pretty fast in the direction of the bridges.

We reel up, book over and get ahold of them. We bring the girl in the water into the boat to warm her up, but we are overfull in the boat now so head to shore to let them out. We tell them to stay inside the kelp line, walk their boats around the point back to Owens Beach and text us when they got back. Turns out they were in the Army and had rented the equipment from JBLM and this was their first time kayaking in the saltwater. Luckily we got a text a bit later that they'd made it back to the park ok.

NukeLDO

WFF Supporter
Camped on Long Lake in the Seeps with my future wife...early morning. Step outside the camper to hear a boat headed down the lake....a 16 ft or so open aluminum boat with a tiller steer motor. Settle into the lawn chair with the sunrise and a cup of coffee....boat headed up the lake from the launch. All of a sudden, the bow of boat goes straight up in the air and the boat starts making circles in the water. Can see the individual in the boat go over the side, but somehow manage to hang on to the the gunwale of the boat. Boat continues to circle with the guy being dragged around by the still spinning engine.
See the guy manage to pull himself back into the boat, take a look around, and spy our camper. He throttles the engine up and begins to make a beeline for our camp. I run inside and grab the first aid kit knowing that the prop had to have torn him up and will essentially be useless. He beaches the boat on the rocks about 25 ft below where we're camped just as I have run down to meet him.
Camo clad guy comes staggering out of the boat, and to my shock, isn't bleeding from 1000 prop cuts, but does have a compound fracture of one arm. Dude jumps back in the boat and grabs the biggest pistol I've ever seen and then hops back onto land and asks if I can help him.
I dress the compound fracture with what I have, which isn't much, and say we've got to get him to the hospital. He says, no, just need to get him to his truck and can I keep an eye on his boat while he's gone. Drive him to the launch where his truck and trailer are, disconnect his trailer for him, and he takes off trying to make a phone call with the limited cell service there to tell his Dad he's headed to the hospital.
About 3 PM that afternoon, the guy shows up at my campsite with a cast on his arm and the truck and trailer. Proceeds to back the trailer over the bank and the rocks down to where the boat is, loads the whole thing up and takes off.
Haven't been back since.
Moral of story, wear the kill switch....

vader

Back when the Sky had its winter run steelies, I was running my power boat. It was not ideal steelhead conditions, which probably why I was 1 of few on the river. I was power up river just above Thunderbird when I saw something wrestling in the water just off the bank. I turned around to see a dog tangled in the weeds. It was shivering, wet, and very tired from trying to get free. I got it untangled and it ran off. I am convinced that was my calling for being on the river that day was to help the dog.

up2nogood

Was fishing East Canyon Reservoir here in Utah a few years ago with a friend . It was early spring ,just after ice off, water still in the high 30's. He was fishing out of his fishing kayak ,and me out of my pontoon boat. Headed back to shore after a day of fishing. I am probably 50 or so yards away from him, when I heard the splash . There he is in the water ,kayak upside down. I motor over as fast as I can. He has on neoprene waders ,and they are pretty full of cold water. He's hanging onto the side of the kayak, I grab the kayak ,and we manage to get it back upright, but he can't get back in , I grab ahold of a handful of waders, and butt, and we managed to get him back in. Big problem he is getting pretty cold at this point. His electric motor came off ,battery ,some fishing equipment etc are now in the bottom of about 80 feet of water . I hook up his boat with the anchor rope ,and we head to shore. Got him out of his waders ,and into the warm truck, and he finally started warming up . It was a memorable day for sure , not so much a good deed as just being there to be able to help him, not sure if he would have survived by himself, and there was nobody else around. He got outriggers for his next trip on the water for the kayak.

Last edited:

JohnB

I fished my way up to a guy who was slowly wading down river staring at his feet. It turned out that he'd taken an accidental swim the day prior and lost a rod. A couple hundred yards upstream I spotted it on the bottom and fished out 2.5 sections of a nice Winston and was able to give it back to him.

Later after talking with a friend it turned out that he found the tip section floating a couple riffles downstream. I then shipped it back to the swimmer and with a little warranty/repair help from Winston he had his fly rod back.

Peyton00

No hero shot here.

I was fishing a lake during a nice warm fall day. Fishing was great. I was heading to the launch area and noticed an old man fishing from shore.
I asked the guy (in his 70's )if he wanted to fish from my boat. He was excited and we fished for about 3 more hours til he had his fill and was getting tired.
It was a great day of catching and conversation.

vader

I fished my way up to a guy who was slowly wading down river staring at his feet. It turned out that he'd taken an accidental swim the day prior and lost a rod. A couple hundred yards upstream I spotted it on the bottom and fished out 2.5 sections of a nice Winston and was able to give it back to him.

Later after talking with a friend it turned out that he found the tip section floating a couple riffles downstream. I then shipped it back to the swimmer and with a little warranty/repair help from Winston he had his fly rod back.
Had this type of thing happen to me also. Again on the Sky running my power boat. Karma got me when chasing ducks with the boat, I looked back to see my Sage gone. Couple of weeks later talking with a guy who said he found a Sage in the river. I figured it was the one I lost since he found it down river of where I had been. I didn't bother to pursue it, just sayed to him "Nice find".

b_illymac

Soap Lake Posse
WFF Moderator
Was putting in on Rat Lake and 2 guys rolled up with a little row boat and quickly discovered they didn't have a plug. They were trying to jam sticks in.

I was able to make them a plug with a big marker and medical tape that worked just fine. At the end of the day I discovered they gave me a small assortment of some flies and my marker back.

Liam ended up using those flies for some of his first gils later on in summer as I often don't bring small stuff when I chase bass but I remembered I had those flies tucked away :)

MelW

Certified Curmudgeon - GET OFF MY LAWN!
A few years ago I was fishing on Big Lava Lake in central Oregon. I noticed a nearby fisherman in a boat had just landed a very large trout. He seemed to be struggling with it. I asked if he was OK and he responded that he had both the fish and his hand hooked by a treble. He was trying to back the hook out of this hand but the barb had gone all the way into his finger. I watched him several times try to yank the hook out. I told him the only way to get the hook out was to push the barb all the way out through the skin and cut it off with a pair of cutters. He replied that he didn't have any pliers or cutter. I had a multi-tool on my vest which I loaned him. He was then able to push the hook through his skin and cut off the barb portion of the hook. Lot's of blood but he was finally dislodged.
As one can imagine he was very appreciative of my help.

JM

After a morning of trout fishing with my grandfather when I was in grade school at Failor lake, we watched a small john boat with 3 people shove off as we were unloading our 10ft aluminum boat. They were not a 100ft from shore when the guy at the tiller opened it up. It was like watching a submarine dive as I watched the bow go under and the boat disappear in less than 5 seconds. The adult males were able to swim to shore but they left a grey haired lady with an orange horse collar life jacket floating on her back. My grandfather put me in the stern of his boat and rowed out to her, he backed up the boat to the top of her head and had me grab onto the tab on the collar. She laid there with her arms crossed and never said a word as we towed her to shore.

tyler

Cape Henlopen State Park 2001. Was on a weekend fishing / camping trip with one of my OG fishing buddies, Jonathan. We made the drive from Northern Virginia out to the Delaware shore to fish the flats on the bay side of Cape Henlopen for stripers, sea trout (weakfish), and flounder.

Once we had established our camp site, we headed for the point to start fishing. We had the place to ourselves. Our access to miles of beach was limited only by the designated endangered bird sanctuary, an off-limits area of pristine beach and dunes that was prime nesting habitat and included the tip of the cape. No matter. Lots of good water fish.

While wading the flats looking for depressions and drop offs where fish might be holding, we noticed a commotion in the shallows about a quarter mile away. "Did you see that? Yeah! There it is again! What is that?! It looks big!"

We continued to fish but the commotion, which was not letting up, got the best of our curiosity. "C'mon! Let’s go take a look!" It was well into the off-limits bird sanctuary, but we decided to check it out anyway. Staying off the beach and dunes, we waded over.

As we made our approach, we could see what was going on. A dolphin, clearly in distress, had somehow got caught in the shallows and with the tide falling fast was now stranded on a sandy high spot. Our pace quickened! Finally, at her side, we immediately dropped our gear and began using our stripping baskets to pour water on her. But we needed help. Jonathan legged it back to the parking lot and the nearby ranger station to alert them to what was happening. I stayed behind and while kneeling beside her did my best to keep her cool and calm.

I was surprised at how quickly help arrived. Apparently, there is a network of scientists, advocates, and concerned citizens that spring into action when a beached dolphin is reported. We did our small part. But that’s not the end of the story…

A couple weeks later while on Reel-Time.com (The Internet Journal of Saltwater Fly Fishing) I responded to an inquiry about fly fishing at Cape Henlopen. Back then it seems like we were more willing to share info. During our exchange, the guy said “funny that you replied. I just saw your picture in the paper with a nice flounder from Cape Henlopen. I’ll send you a copy. Thanks for the info.”

A local reporter, who had got wind of the beached dolphin, was heading down the beach to get the scoop when he ran into me heading back to my truck with our camp site dinner! He snapped a quick pick and took down my name.

Henlopen 2001.jpg

Last edited:

dp

~El Pescador
not a rescue story - but a good deed act for sure.
I was coming back to my rig in the Lenice lot and there is a truck with a couple of guys gearing up for the late afternoon bite. as I am loading up, two of the 3 guys walk in and the other guys goes and sits in his truck.
I asked why he isn't going in with his buddies and he says he left his rod at home. in packing up gear for his buddies, we forgot one rod.
after much internal debate, I offered him my back/back up rod (RPL) and ask that we coordinate a return at a later date. I said I hope this does not come back to bite me.
We exchange info and find we both work down town Seattle and agree on a meet up date.
on the agreed upon day and time we meet and I got my rod back, plus a nice bottle of red...

Stonefish

Triploid, Humpy & Seaplane Hater....Know Grizzler
not a rescue story - but a good deed act for sure.
I was coming back to my rig in the Lenice lot and there is a truck with a couple of guys gearing up for the late afternoon bite. as I am loading up, two of the 3 guys walk in and the other guys goes and sits in his truck.
I asked why he isn't going in with his buddies and he says he left his rod at home. in packing up gear for his buddies, we forgot one rod.
after much internal debate, I offered him my back/back up rod (RPL) and ask that we coordinate a return at a later date. I said I hope this does not come back to bite me.
We exchange info and find we both work down town Seattle and agree on a meet up date.
on the agreed upon day and time we meet and I got my rod back, plus a nice bottle of red...

Great story and good karma on you DP.
SF

Support WFF | Remove the Ads

Support WFF by upgrading your account. Site supporters benefits include no ads and access to some additional features, few now, more in the works. Info

Latest posts