NFR Do Yourself a Favor.

Status
Not open for further replies.

JayB

If you're wearing a cloth mask, consider upgrading to a KN95 instead, particularly if you're in a high risk group. They're no more annoying, and but they're several times more effective than a cloth mask.

There's an abundant supply of KN95 masks now. They're cheap, and there's enough of them in the country for everyone to buy an ample supply without depriving essential workers of the protection they need (and hopefully they're all using legit N95's at this point).

This post isn't an attempt to persuade anyone to do or believe anything that they aren't inclined to believe (there are *plenty* of other places to argue about Covid on the web), but I thought I'd post this because it seems that lots of folks either aren't aware of this or have just gotten used to using a cloth mask and aren't really thinking about it anymore.

My mom is in a high-risk category, but held off on upgrading her mask because as far as she knew there still weren't enough of the "good" masks to go around, and she didn't want to deprive front line workers of them. I took it upon myself to get her a supply of KN95's before the holidays because I knew she wouldn't be willing to completely quarantine herself from folks who had been traveling, etc.

Sure enough - one of the visitors who had tested negative for Covid before traveling started coming down with symptoms on December 24, two days after an extended indoor visit with my Mom. Thankfully my Mom wore her KN95 the whole time, and isn't having any symptoms. Post hoc doesn't equal ergo propter hoc, but I'm confident that if you ran this experiment a gazillion times, the people wearing KN95's in this situation would wind up infected far less often than people wearing cloth masks. If anyone had asked me, I'd have advised against an in-person visit in the first place but that's another topic all together.

Sportsman

Amazon is the best. $2.00 apiece when you buy 20. For me, they aren't as comfortable as a 3-ply surgical mask which I only use for a quick in and out at 7-11. Cloth masks are a joke, but it's your life.

Grayone

Fishin' to the end, Oc.P
WFF Premium
Amazon is the best. $2.00 apiece when you buy 20. For me, they aren't as comfortable as a 3-ply surgical mask which I only use for a quick in and out at 7-11. Cloth masks are a joke, but it's your life.
I like the "ASTM3" surgical mask. Otherwise, the N95. I wore a N95 at work alot. Still do when stirring up pollen in the yard.
Amazon has the above and kn95 masks.

jaredoconnor

WFF Premium
I've started wearing those blue surgical masks, under a cloth mask. I figure that is good enough and possibly even better than an N95 alone, because I get a good seal around the edges.

My wife works at one of the larger hospitals around the Seattle area and they're only given heavy duty surgical masks. The staff that have direct contact with patients have N95 masks though.

Last edited:

jaredoconnor

WFF Premium
Also to mention that wearing masks is to protect others beside yourself. This can be caught through the eyes too.

That is the main purpose of masks; they're effective at stopping transmission FROM an infected person, but not very effective at stopping transmission TO an uninfected person. N95 masks are the only thing that will meaningfully protect you from other people.

I've recently seen a few people exiting elevators and quickly putting their masks back on. They're obviously taking them off when no one is around. It's the worst possible place to be doing that, due to the limited airflow and small volume of air. Unfortunately, a lot of people are still ignorant about asymptomatic shedding and the need to protect other people from yourself. Either that or they just don't care.

Last edited:

XP

I heard today that Washington has some of the lowest per capita Covid cases. Keep up the good work. I also wear a KN95 mask found on Wyze.com. They fit really well and don’t cost much.

jaredoconnor

WFF Premium
I heard today that Washington has some of the lowest per capita Covid cases. Keep up the good work. I also wear a KN95 mask found on Wyze.com. They fit really well and don’t cost much.

It's still way higher than it should be.

My home city, in Australia, had their first case at the same time as Seattle. Excluding a couple of 2 week lockdowns, they haven't had any cases of community spread (I mean literally zero) and have been living like normal for the entire year. Competent leadership makes an enormous difference. There are a lot of cases like this throughout the world, but for some reason they don't get mentioned in the media and a lot of people are lead to believe that the current shit show is as good as it gets.

Last edited:

XP

It's still way higher than it should be.

My home city, in Australia, had their first case at the same time as Seattle. Excluding a couple of 2 week lockdowns, they haven't had any cases of community spread (I mean literally zero) and have been living like normal for the entire year. Competent leadership makes an enormous difference. There are a lot of cases like this throughout the world, but for some reason they don't get mentioned in the media and a lot of people are lead to believe that the current shit show is as good as it gets.
Yeah, I agree 100%. I wish we were closer to South Korea and New Zealand in terms of education, preparedness and leadership.

Salmo_g

WFF Premium
I usually wear the cloth mask I bought at Dan Bailey's Fly Shop in September because I like the trout fish print on it. It's 2 layer, but also came with reusable filters that slip between the cloth layers. I thought it was a pretty good combo, but don't really have more information about it.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Support WFF | Remove the Ads

Support WFF by upgrading your account. Site supporters benefits include no ads and access to some additional features, few now, more in the works. Info

Latest posts