Sockeye Salmon on the Fly

MelW

Certified Curmudgeon - GET OFF MY LAWN!
I've caught chinook, silvers, chum and humpies on flies. I would really like to catch at least one sockeye to complete the northwest salmon slam.
Haven't you caught beaucoup Kokanee on a fly?

SinglehandJay

Misanthropist
I read somewhere that sockeye are tougher to connect with on any kind of gear because of what is their main quarry while in the ocean. Krill was the number one food I believe.

Nick Clayton

WFF Supporter
I'm firmly in the springer camp myself, when it comes to eating salmon. Next to that, winter blackmouth, resident coho, and then ocean coho. I haven't eaten a ton of sockeye in my life but I've eaten it here and there. Definitely wouldn't ever turn up my nose at it, but I've never been blown away by it either.

bk paige

Wishin I was on the Sauk
I find winter black mouth to be as bland as winter steelhead.

1 spring Chinook
2 June summer Steelhead, not all cut the same but bright glowing red meat ones are mouth watering delicious!
3 ocean Chinook
4 Coho

Squamishpoacher

I've been told that most sockeye caught in freshwater are flossed. Saltwater fish are still feeding and readily take. But once in freshwater this shuts down. Some likely do bite as an agressive response but watching the techniques of the gear chuckers using long leaders and bouncing betties they know what they're doing. I don't want to start any argument but 35 years of fisheries enforcement has sort of made me somewhat opinionated.

CreekScrambler

I read somewhere that sockeye are tougher to connect with on any kind of gear because of what is their main quarry while in the ocean. Krill was the number one food I believe.
The Behnke book describes sockeye as uniquely evolved to strain small krill from the water, similar to whales’ baleen.

quilbilly

Big Time Hater
They call it 'Flippin' Reds' up in that part of Alaska as I remember.
Although when I was on the Kanektok they seemed to hit them on the swing, so it's hard to know when there's so many coming in at once.
Good eats though...

Support WFF | Remove the Ads

Support WFF by upgrading your account. Site supporters benefits include no ads and access to some additional features, few now, more in the works. Info

Latest posts