Stuck spool

Flying99fingers

WFF Supporter
Hi. I have an Orvis Battenkill Mid-arbor III reel that I cannot get the spool off. At first, the little lever seemed stuck, but I worked at it for a while and now it moves freely. I took all the line and backing off and can’t see any issues. The spool is moving freely. When I hit the release lever, the spool moves about an 1/8th of an inch and then just stops coming off the spindle. I really don’t want to try to pry it off - afraid I’ll wreck everything. Any suggestions?

Bruce Baker

Hi. I have an Orvis Battenkill Mid-arbor III reel that I cannot get the spool off. At first, the little lever seemed stuck, but I worked at it for a while and now it moves freely. I took all the line and backing off and can’t see any issues. The spool is moving freely. When I hit the release lever, the spool moves about an 1/8th of an inch and then just stops coming off the spindle. I really don’t want to try to pry it off - afraid I’ll wreck everything. Any suggestions?
I would give Orvis a call. Their customer support has been super in all of my experiences. Another option would be that If you are in the Seattle area, you could try taking it to one of the Orvis stores in Seattle or Bellevue. Unfortunately, I cannot be of any more help than this :)

Daz

Have you tried taking the push head cover off to make sure that the push head (the "little lever") is releasing the end of the main shaft? If the PH comes off easily and the spool still won't come off the shaft then I'd try a little oil down the main shaft and lightly rock it back and forth with a gentle pull. If that doesn't work I'd pack it up and send it off to Orvis.

Flying99fingers

WFF Supporter
Have you tried taking the push head cover off to make sure that the push head (the "little lever") is releasing the end of the main shaft? If the PH comes off easily and the spool still won't come off the shaft then I'd try a little oil down the main shaft and lightly rock it back and forth with a gentle pull. If that doesn't work I'd pack it up and send it off to Orvis.
Thanks for the advice. Nothi g worked, so off to Orvis it goes. It’s a sweet 5-wt, hope it comes out ok.

Squamishpoacher

First, remove the line and backing. This will take a while as the spool won't spin but it'snecessary for the following procedure. If possible, squirt some Fluid Film onto the spindle and allow it to run down. Do this a few times and allow it to sit overnight. Carefully turn it one way then the other being gentle not to force it. If not, spray it again and let it sit. It may take several applications. That may work as Fluid Film penetrates through built up rust. It does sound like corrosion is involved from salt use or from not lubricating periodically. If you get the spool off clean any visible corroded area. Hopper's No.9 is good for this and a .22 cal pistol cleaning brush is good for cleaning inside the spool of a fly reel. Once you get rid of the surface corrosion, wash your reel in hot water and dish soap. Rinse and let it dry completely and follow Orvis's guidelines for lubrication and future care. As it's likely you may not get all the corrosion off it will be a good idea to check the spindle after use and lubricate it if needed. Good luck.

Flying99fingers

WFF Supporter
First, remove the line and backing. This will take a while as the spool won't spin but it'snecessary for the following procedure. If possible, squirt some Fluid Film onto the spindle and allow it to run down. Do this a few times and allow it to sit overnight. Carefully turn it one way then the other being gentle not to force it. If not, spray it again and let it sit. It may take several applications. That may work as Fluid Film penetrates through built up rust. It does sound like corrosion is involved from salt use or from not lubricating periodically. If you get the spool off clean any visible corroded area. Hopper's No.9 is good for this and a .22 cal pistol cleaning brush is good for cleaning inside the spool of a fly reel. Once you get rid of the surface corrosion, wash your reel in hot water and dish soap. Rinse and let it dry completely and follow Orvis's guidelines for lubrication and future care. As it's likely you may not get all the corrosion off it will be a good idea to check the spindle after use and lubricate it if needed. Good luck.
Thank you. Actually, the spool does spin fine, so I'm not sure it's corrosion. It spins very freely, drag works, etc. I could fish with it tomorrow - but it's set up for left hand retrieve and I want right hand. And to change it, I have to get the spool off! I got this from someone, so have no history of how it's been maintained.

Support WFF | Remove the Ads

Support WFF by upgrading your account. Site supporters benefits include no ads and access to some additional features, few now, more in the works. Info

Latest posts