NFR Truck tires

Brian Caud

WFF Premium
For the OP if I had a 1-ton truck and carrying a big camper or towing a heavy trailer, I'd be checking checking truck-camper, overlander, & trailer forums about tires.
New to me F350 and full size truck camper - just put a set of 35" 12 ply Toyo MT's based on the experience of the previous owner.

On previous rigs I had great luck with several sets of the BFG KO2's. Bummer to hear that they may be having recent issues.

Creatch'r

Hesitant Member
And get one you can access from the sides. I loathe my canopy for wasted useless non utility space. I have stuff in the front of my bed I haven't seen in years cause I don't want to climb in the stupid thing. I will not buy any canopy I can't access from the side.

I bought a used 1500# bed slide and am rebuilding the sides to come over the wheel wells, it’s legit, no more wasted space and shouldn’t need to climb in. Spendy little units but I scored an awesome deal just needs some TLC.

bconrad

If they are the E rated they will likely be fine. Run them till they die. The biggest issue is they go out of round from broken belting. Also keep in mind I run tires allot harder and more frequently hard than ninety percent of users.
I do have the E rated I think, that's good to hear. Plus I am like GOTY, I only go in 4wd to drive over curbs in the parking lot. Fingers crossed!

scottybs

Cooper stt max.

I drive gravel and worse for a living and I've tried all tires. The Cooper ten ply are by far the best. Anything BF Goodrich is effectively the worst. I could go on got days about the pathetic excuses for tires this company makes. It's a shame what they did to quality in that company. I avoid all Chinese tires (so Les Schwab is out). Toyo m55 are nice too but pricey.
What I’m running on my F-150. Way better than the Hankook Dynapro’s that came on the truck.

Brandon

Floatin'
I have the Cooper Discoverer SST Pro's on my Wrangler.

Best tire I've ever had for mud, gravel, snow, and ice. Also going on 6 years with them and the tread has been holding up great. They're still going strong.

They are also pretty quiet on the freeway. Not a lot of noise compared to other aggressive tread tires.

dustinchromers

I have the Cooper Discoverer SST Pro's on my Wrangler.

Best tire I've ever had for mud, gravel, snow, and ice. Also going on 6 years with them and the tread has been holding up great. They're still going strong.

They are also pretty quiet on the freeway. Not a lot of noise compared to other aggressive tread tires.

The fact cooper make a great dual purpose tire (on/off road) is due to their interest and development in overland travel applications. The stt max was designed and first released in the Australian market and highly sought after. The armortek carcass is not prone to flats without being overly stiff and unusable on lighter vehicles. The rubber is actual quality rubber rather than Chinese faux rubber so it wears well, provides great traction, and doesn't cup or chip. A dual purpose tire is a tough design goal but they nailed it on this one. I need a tire that is reasonably quiet on the road, goes for many miles, is flat resistant, doesn't chip or get rock drill, and handles off road as well as on road. I've found nothing better and I'm kinda a tire geek that hates changing a flat. When I ran bf Goodrich I took two spares into the field. I've probably only changed a flat on ten ply cooper tires maybe three times and that's over many years of running them in harsh terrain. And as a plus my local tire shop tires my rig and my crew for around 1k a rig. Toyo are double and others are far more expensive. Goodyear durotrack I've heard good things about as well by those in the know but at this point I'm not changing what works for me.

Driftless Dan

Driftless Dan
WFF Premium
What about another factor, ability to withstand sharps?

I remember about 25 years ago, I was trundling down a gravel road alongside the Deschutes River. I came upon two fisherman whose pickup was along the side of the road, who had lost TWO tires to rocks on the road, and were out of spares. I drove one of them into town with the tires in the back of my Datsun pickup, repaired them, and back to the truck. Rocks had punctured both tires.

That Datsun had some sort of special tread tires, but what they were is lost in the mists of time. They just never wore out. I always wondered what they had that other tires didn't. Mind you, the Datsun weighed 2,200 lbs., not 4,000 lbs. and that might have been a factor.

dogsnfish

No Michelin fans? Interesting. Been pretty happy with the LTX M/S2 series (now I guess it's the Defender LTX M/S) but the closest I come to off-roading is rough forest service roads a handful of times a year, and 99.99% of my mileage is on roads so I also factor in things like road noise, how long they last, wet traction, etc. And I run snow-tires in the winter, so even though these tires are decent for that, their performance in snow wasn't a huge factor.

I am. I have used Michelin AT2 on my trucks for years. We spend our summers on gravel roads and winters we have lots of snow. They have worked for me for years.

Robert Engleheart

Robert
WFF Premium
Michelin LTX AT2 on my Tundra when delivered, have 35K on them now and they look like they would be good for another 35. Very quiet. Only been in packed snow and ice, no mud or deep snow.

Creatch'r

Hesitant Member
What about another factor, ability to withstand sharps?

I remember about 25 years ago, I was trundling down a gravel road alongside the Deschutes River. I came upon two fisherman whose pickup was along the side of the road, who had lost TWO tires to rocks on the road, and were out of spares. I drove one of them into town with the tires in the back of my Datsun pickup, repaired them, and back to the truck. Rocks had punctured both tires.

That Datsun had some sort of special tread tires, but what they were is lost in the mists of time. They just never wore out. I always wondered what they had that other tires didn't. Mind you, the Datsun weighed 2,200 lbs., not 4,000 lbs. and that might have been a factor.

Datsun’s were the best. My first and favorite fishing rig was a 69 510 wagon that I put a truck motor and tranny in. So much fun driving that around mountain roads. Great memories rallying that around. Bulletproof and easy to work on.

Joe H

My buddy's had Datsun 510's in the early 80's, all rallied out that were bad ass. I had aspirations for traveling more than working on a mode of transportation so had a pos 710 wagon instead.
My favorite tires back then were the current cheapest model (from Sears where my brother worked in the tire shop), that would get me to the drive-in, beach, skatepark and the mountains.

Support WFF | Remove the Ads

Support WFF by upgrading your account. Site supporters benefits include no ads and access to some additional features, few now, more in the works. Info

Latest posts