Montana Trip Planning

landlocked

WFF Supporter
I’d just plan my whole damn trip around Sir Scott’s Oasis in Manhattan. Don’t pack any food. Just eat there. Pretty central to a bunch of fishing.

jaredoconnor

WFF Supporter
I have been to YNP twice and have stayed at 4 different places. 320 Guest Ranch was my favorite place, by far. It's right on Gallatin River, it's good value and it has a great restaurant. Don't let your partner talk you into "glamping" at "Yellowstone Under Canvas"; it is complete dog shit. Below are the most memorable attractions.
  1. Yellowstone Bear World: This is a long drive away from the park, but it is my favorite attraction; you can bottle feed baby bears and they have a caged area that you can drive your car through. The ethics of this place are pretty shady, but bottle feeding baby bears is super lit.
  2. Lamar Valley: If you want to see wildlife, allocate an entire day for driving around here.
  3. Grand Prismatic Spring: This is really spectacular. All the other springs are kind of lame, in comparison. I could happy skip all the others.
  4. Old Faithful & Lodge: Seeing the geyser go off is mandatory. All the other geysers in the park are weak and probably not worth bothering with. The lodge is really cool too; it's like some real life Harry Potter shit.
  5. Zip Lining & Rafting Galatin River: Not much to say about this, other than it was a lot of fun.
  6. Boiling River Hot Springs: It's a spring that is hot and you can go into it. It is not so hot that you need to be concerned about dying, so that is pretty good.
I have only fished Gallatin River and Madison River, so I don't have much experience to share. I've done two full day trips with Jake, from Madison River Outfitters. He's a great dude and I highly recommend him. Spending a day with a guide, at the beginning of every trip, is a very good idea; most decent guides will make sure you have enough info, to fly solo for the remainder of your trip.

Good luck! Enjoy your trip! I could visit YNP once a year, for the rest of my life, and never get bored of it. It is an amazing place.

Last edited:

Swimmy

Practice your craft.
WFF Supporter
  1. Yellowstone Bear World: This is a long drive away from the park, but it is my favorite attraction; you can bottle feed baby bears and they have a caged area that you can drive your car through. The ethics of this place are pretty shady, but bottle feeding baby bears is super lit.

This made me
JSDFwlvf_o.gif

MT_Flyfisher

Instead of the Yellowstone Bear World, if you’re interested in seeing bears you could go to the Casey Anderson’s Montana Grizzly Encounter, that is located midway between Bozeman and Livingston right beside interstate 90.

Reel fun

Thanks for all the help guys. With no music festivals or beer festivals happening any time in the near future we decided why not get out of here and go fishing. I think we would like to go to Yellowstone to see what it is all about. fishing is the mission so if that means spending most of our time out of the park and away from everyone I am ok wit that as well.

Thanks again for all the great tips.
Some very good info from Mike Cline. I've lived near Yellowstone since the early 70's and have seen visitation steadily increase there. It's now unbearable in the summer months, and even September and early October are busier than you would suspect.

Canuck from Kansas

WFF Supporter
Yup, I visited YNP the week after Labor Day in 2019. We had booked a couple of sites in the park months prior (the Madison was a tepid bowl of soup with bathers in all the good holes, so I didn't waste my time) and then we got up at about 2AM one morning to get a first come site up in the north east of the Park (well worth the effort though - caught some beautiful Yellowstone cuties). I would recommend late September to early October, I think after that the weather can get a little dicey (snow?) and aren't some camp sites closed October 1?

UNADJUSTEDNONRAW_thumb_211a.jpg

UNADJUSTEDNONRAW_thumb_2110.jpg

Cheers

Whitewater

Yellowstone visitation is about 4 million a year, most in the summer, a bit more than usual w/ Covid and people wanting to be outdoors away from home.

Grand Teton NP is about 4.8 million a year, ditto, most in summer. September is a good month to visit, though become more crowded as others posted. Best bet is to hike away from the roads into some lesser known streams and carry bear spray.

Bring warm layers. Much of that country is between 6000 and 7000 ft elevation, passes go to 8800 ft. It can snow any month even along the lower elevations.

Final thought, there's some lakes around there worth checking out.

Last edited:

Camo Clad Warrior

Thanks again for all the help on this one. I am ready for winter to go away. I think my wife and I may break this into a couple trips, as there seems to be a lot to do and a lot to see.

Support WFF | Remove the Ads

Support WFF by upgrading your account. Site supporters benefits include no ads and access to some additional features, few now, more in the works. Info