I need a little help tying this one

crazywednesday

I spent an entire night trying to make this work, but have failed. I can get the nymph part right, but cant do the the emerger part. There is no video for me to follow and I dont feel the instructions are enough for me to understand. Maybe you have some insight. Anyone that can help me i greatly appreciate it.

This is what I am trying to achieve,

This is the instructions

Justin

Norm Frechette

Googlemeister
this is two flies that need to be tied

tie the emerger fly first but only tie it on 1/2 hook shank leaving bare shank to tie on the nymph shank.

bend the bare hook shank of the emerger fly to the angle you want, cut the hook shank at the bend of the hook and tie it onto the nymph hook

then tie the nymph part per the instructions in the second link you provided

Last edited:

Meeshka

I did tie that fly some time ago, or something as similar as I could on a Partridge K10 Yorkshire Fly Body Hook. The main nymphs body was a bit too short however as I remember.

Flyfisher50

use a needle in your vise to tie the adult half. A dot of head cement - not a Dollop- will keep your thread in place after you whip finish. Then pull it off the needle. You need a regular small sewing needle with a good taper. It’ll work. I’ve done it many times with fat chenille for bass worms, adding marabou to the tip.

Another option would be to tie the back half on mono, using a gallows tool.

@ScottP has a great SBS for that method. Just do a search in the fly tying forum for SBS and "carnage" (name of the method).

Once Scott introduced that to the forum, I took it and ran with it. I have really enjoyed the results, and the flies fish great.

Here are some examples:
IMG_20200821_203129_201.jpg
IMG_20200812_155315_547.jpg
IMG_20200709_234438_943.jpg

crazywednesday

Another option would be to tie the back half on mono, using a gallows tool.

@ScottP has a great SBS for that method. Just do a search in the fly tying forum for SBS and "carnage" (name of the method).

Once Scott introduced that to the forum, I took it and ran with it. I have really enjoyed the results, and the flies fish great.

Here are some examples:
View attachment 267206
View attachment 267207
View attachment 267208
Amazing looking flies James! I'm not sure I follow you, but I bought some sewing pins to try that style when I get the courage to post my results. Do you have a link? Scott ties amazing stuff.

Support WFF | Remove the Ads

Support WFF by upgrading your account. Site supporters benefits include no ads and access to some additional features, few now, more in the works. Info

Latest posts