NFR backyard wildlife

Gyrfalcon21

@Canuck from Kansas you can't beat that for fun !

Garbage night is Weds here so a couple days back after 2am I went outside to get the cans to the road. Happened to look over at our cast iron planter and saw a light ghostly image. One of our Barn Owls was concentrating on prey and ignoring me.
I grabbed my camera with a 300mm lens and used only the light of my led backpacking headlight to get this shot. Pushed iso and handheld at 1/10th of a second.

Not much in terms of quality, but proof I was not dreaming, yet.

barnowlmarch24th2021WW.jpg

Last edited:
@Canuck from Kansas you can't beat that for fun !

Garbage night is Weds here so a couple days back after 2am I went outside to get the cans to the road. Happened to look over at our cast iron planter and saw a light ghostly image. One of our Barn Owls was concentrating on prey and ignoring me.
I grabbed my camera with a 300mm lens and used only the light of my led backpacking headlight to get this shot. Pushed iso and handheld at 1/10th of a second.

Not much in terms of quality, but proof I was not dreaming, yet.

View attachment 276464

Great shot for 2AM. Tough to get a steady shot with the telephoto when you don't have the time for a tripod. I bump the ISO up to 6400, but even then ...

cheers

Driftless Dan

Driftless Dan
Premium
I was sitting on the berm alongside the Des Plaines River in Illinois last night, having a beer and watching the sun go down, when this guy (girl?) came by. He hung out right in front of me, less than 5 feet away, totally unafraid. There was another, slightly bigger but much more cautious mink. One chased the other onto a tree that hangs more than halfway over the river, and the lead mink leapt off it and hit the water with a resounding belly flop and swam to the other side. It's like Marty Stouffer's Wild America here!

Mink 1.jpg

Driftless Dan

Driftless Dan
Premium
A regular visitor in transit coyote 1.jpg
This deer and a sibling are on our land often. I wonder what happened to his ear? No hunting allowed within 25 miles of here.
deer 1.jpg
Typical winter scene here. I put out cracked corn each morning for them. They just didn't care if I was 20 feet away; they needed the energy.
lotsa ducks 1.jpg

Gyrfalcon21

Great shot for 2AM. Tough to get a steady shot with the telephoto when you don't have the time for a tripod. I bump the ISO up to 6400, but even then ...

cheers
The Olympus m4/3 camera has an amazing built-in image stabilzer. Also, mirrorless allows you to boost the brightness of the finder to focus (old manual focus lens). Technology !

I think it was iso 3200.

I could have shared the other 7-8 blurry photos that were a total bust : )

Billy McFly

The Olympus m4/3 camera has an amazing built-in image stabilzer. Also, mirrorless allows you to boost the brightness of the finder to focus (old manual focus lens). Technology !

I think it was iso 3200.

I could have shared the other 7-8 blurry photos that were a total bust : )
All you need is one ;)

jasmillo

Premium
I just missed getting a shot of one of our resident owls with the new F11 800 mm lens/mirrorless Cannon body my wife is testing out. I know she has been pleasantly surprised with the results shooting birds in the backyard so far. For amateurs like us, not bad results for the price.

I missed the owl but got this guy with my IPhone when the wife and I were cleaning up the raised beds. Pacific Green Tree Frog I believe. Hear them all the time on my property but first I have come across. Taking care of my pest problem before planting...

77DCA693-C6A9-47C6-A251-44BF59E27B3E.jpeg

MGTom

Living at the place of many waters
Premium
I was sitting on the berm alongside the Des Plaines River in Illinois last night, having a beer and watching the sun go down, when this guy (girl?) came by. He hung out right in front of me, less than 5 feet away, totally unafraid. There was another, slightly bigger but much more cautious mink. One chased the other onto a tree that hangs more than halfway over the river, and the lead mink leapt off it and hit the water with a resounding belly flop and swam to the other side. It's like Marty Stouffer's Wild America here!
I was on the river today and stepped onto a pile sticks along the river when two mink just like that came screeching out from about under my feet. Scared me good. Then I realized she was screeching at the dude for continuing with the unwanted advances.

Gyrfalcon21

I just missed getting a shot of one of our resident owls with the new F11 800 mm lens/mirrorless Cannon body my wife is testing out. I know she has been pleasantly surprised with the results shooting birds in the backyard so far. For amateurs like us, not bad results for the price.

I missed the owl but got this guy with my IPhone when the wife and I were cleaning up the raised beds. Pacific Green Tree Frog I believe. Hear them all the time on my property but first I have come across. Taking care of my pest problem before planting...

View attachment 276602
Have watched pretty rave reviews on YouTube of the 600 and 800/f11's. What a cool concept and advancement in light equipment. Bet it is a fun system!

jasmillo

Premium
Have watched pretty rave reviews on YouTube of the 600 and 800/f11's. What a cool concept and advancement in light equipment. Bet it is a fun system!

I agree. For amateur photographers that are not making money off their photos, it’s a no brainer IMO. At least based on what I have seen so far. Just considering practicality and price alone. So small and light and $900. She shoots a lot of wildlife. I cannot tell you the number of times we nearly pulled the trigger on 600 and 800 mm Nikkor lenses before deciding it was just not worth it for a non pro. Over the last 5 years we have picked up the Nikkor 200-500 and the 500 mm F5.6 for her Nikon DSLR’s and then this cannon system for half of of what the 800mm F5.6 Nikkor lens cost.

A professional photographer can probably pick our photos apart. Who cares though. Not selling them....just decorating the house (below is my wife’s office....or the brown bear room as I call it) and making a few memories.

58530BE0-B9AD-42CC-B265-D3767C39D0B3.jpeg

Last edited:

Support WFF | Remove the Ads

Support WFF by upgrading your account. Site supporters benefits include no ads and access to some additional features, few now, more in the works. Info

Latest posts