NFR backyard wildlife

Buzzy

One of the beaches I fish has a swampy area with green scum covered water. Frogs are always croaking down there. It is fun to watch the herons stalk the edge of the water looking for a meal o’ frog.
Here is one on the beach.
SF

View attachment 294578
I enjoy it when I startle one of these birds into flight (or they startle me), Pterodactyl like with their unusual cry when lifting off.

cabezon

Sculpin Enterprises
WFF Supporter
My home is included within the territory of a pair of barred owls. While they can be quite active by day for an owl, we hear them more often than we see them. But this individual popped into view a week or so ago and I managed a few nice shots.
BarredOwl5086Trim.jpg BarredOwl5078Trim.jpg BarredOwl5074Trim.jpg BarredOwl5064Trim.jpg BarredOwl5062Trim.jpg
Steve

kmudgn

Chipmunk trapped and removed. Hawk eating mouse that I trapped in Garage. Bear on deck. Groundhog caught eating garden. It was size of a beagle and died of high velocity lead poisoning

Attachments

• cmonk.jpg
    cmonk.jpg
    1.7 MB · Views: 19
  • Hawk 6.JPG
    Hawk 6.JPG
    1.9 MB · Views: 14
  • 20191018_150400.jpg
    20191018_150400.jpg
    2.4 MB · Views: 15
  • 20191018_150348.jpg
    20191018_150348.jpg
    2.2 MB · Views: 19
  • DSC00316.jpg
    DSC00316.jpg
    596.9 KB · Views: 19

Jim Ficklin

Genuine Montana Fossil
Bear on deck. Groundhog caught eating garden.
I had a Rock Chuck take up residence under my storage barn right after it was put in place but before I screened-off openings underneath the structure. Live trapping, chasing it out with a garden hose and long pole didn't work. I didn't want to shoot it under there. So . . . it became a game. The final solution was: screen-off all openings but 1 small one. Install one-way hardware cloth door triggered by a trip wire (actually, a Kevlar tripwire). The Chuck had taken up residence under the front of the barn. I set the the trip door, positioned my Deere rider over the area where the Chuck was, raised the mower deck & engaged the blades and let it run at full throttle for a few minutes, The Marmot shot out through the opening, door closed, Chuck couldn't get back in. It swapped ends, went through a fence gap and was gone. Since the are no Rockchuck colonies within 15 miles on my place, I assumed it had hitched a ride in the undercarriage of my truck on a recent trip down by Paterson. The moral of the story? Chucks don't like "Deere" . . .

Last edited:

cabezon

Sculpin Enterprises
WFF Supporter
For the last several years a flock of a dozen or so bandtail pigeons has lived in the tall Douglas firs at the southwest corner of my property during the summer. I see them occasionally flashing through the lower branches of the trees and they scrounge through our compost pile. But they are typically quite shy and seem to always be behind a branch or in poor light if I have the camera at hand. So, it was a pleasant surprise to find part of the flock foraging on fallen seeds under our bird feeder in clear view. They stuck around long enough for a few nice photographs.
BandtailPigeons4621Trim.jpg BandtailPigeon4652Trim.jpg BandtailPigeon4619Trim.jpg
Steve

cabezon

Sculpin Enterprises
WFF Supporter
Technically, this isn't from my backyard, unless you use a VERY expansive definition of backyard. But the view of this remarkable bird is so good that I had to share. This is the BEST view that I have ever had of a male ring-necked pheasant. It is from the Theler Wetlands at the estuary of the Union River by Belfair.
RIngNeckedPheasant5339Trim.jpg
RingNeckedPheasant5355Trim.jpg
RIngNeckedPheasant5357Trim.jpg
RingNeckedPheasant5390Trim.jpg
Steve

Canuck from Kansas

WFF Supporter

Support WFF | Remove the Ads

Support WFF by upgrading your account. Site supporters benefits include no ads and access to some additional features, few now, more in the works. Info

Latest posts