NFR backyard wildlife

Gyrfalcon21

Honoring Vets
pygmyowl2021syswss000222.jpg

I think a couple weeks back now. This is an extended backyard shot I guess-I can see this specific steep clearcut from my deck. It is about 4 miles away, but I hike there abit now as my Achilles has recovered after a Winter where my mobility was lacking. It is about a 3 mile trail/road hike to the clearcut after a drive into town.

This little guy had me puzzled when I guessed from 70 yards a Robin, then lastly, a Towhee.
I could not get close as he was on top of a tree on a drop off.

Was very happy to see it was a Northern Pygmy Owl!

Logging and nuclear plants for the little owl.

clearccc.jpg

Last edited:

Gyrfalcon21

Honoring Vets
ravenhawkrollapril2021BB.jpg ravensoarrr2021CCCC.jpg

A really interesting aerial display that surprised me when it was a Northern Harrier and a Raven spinning and doing rollovers. It was not very intense in the least.

Every single time I see a Raven I am shocked at how big they are ! Harriers are not small birds.

Last edited:

cabezon

Sculpin Enterprises
WFF Supporter
Ravens do like to play. I have seem a group playing with a bit of lichen. One will grab the lichen and play keep away then release it. Then others dive to grab it and continue the game.
Steve

Last edited:

Gyrfalcon21

Honoring Vets
You have an amazing verity of wildlife in your backyard mr falcon, always excited too see your posts!
Living on the Pacific flyway, on a big coastal river with big flat fields sandwiched in a valley does make it always worth looking up and around all the time! On a floodplain keeps growth to nill as well.

Gyrfalcon21

Honoring Vets
Ravens do like to play. I have seem a group playing with a bit of lichen. One with grab the lichen and play keep away then release it. Then other dive to grab it and continue the game.
Steve
Eagles are straight up predatory dinosaurs for sure. Ravens are some different presence altogether it seems. I always know they are one up on me no matter what they are up to.

So glad we have them because it we had crows only and somewhere in the world existed some super huge corvids, I'd have to see in person!

CA Condor is one bird I have to see.

Last edited:

Canuck from Kansas

WFF Supporter
Eagles are straight up predatory dinosaurs for sure. Ravens are some different presence altogether it seems. I always know they are one up on me no matter what they are up to.

So glad we have them because it we had crows only and somewhere in the world existed some super huge corvids, I'd have to see in person!
CA Condor is one I have to see.
Let's not forget how important Raven is in NW mythology; the trickster, giver of light, and released man from a cockle shell - wouldn't be much without him (the bird that is).

cheers

Gfisher2003

CA Condor is one I have to see.
There is a group of falcons in South America that has been described as incredibly crowlike and very smart that I think would be cool to see.

Gyrfalcon21

Honoring Vets
Really neat! Thank you. Will get the book.

Was thinking about the falcon- parrot connection just before it was mentioned here. Really an interesting thing to ponder. Small strong beaks. Kestrels remind me less of birds of prey and more parakeet often. So petite. Very quirky, aware.

Support WFF | Remove the Ads

Support WFF by upgrading your account. Site supporters benefits include no ads and access to some additional features, few now, more in the works. Info

Latest posts