NFR backyard wildlife

jasmillo

Premium
Playing around with a new spotting scope (Nikon Monarch 20-60x82) that we’ll put to the test during our upcoming Grand Tetons / YNP trip. A little simple digiscoping with my iPhone using my local garden raider as a subject. Also bought a digiscope adapter for our Nikon DSLR’s. Quality will not be fantastic but will be cool for documentation purposes.

F1C235B7-9B09-47B3-AFB1-14698FC23550.jpeg

34F25BD8-D854-48B2-9433-9278AF2070DF.jpeg

Last edited:

Gyrfalcon21

Had a swarm of honey bees yesterday. Always good news and this one was about 20 yards from an active hive. Infact, we luckily have 3 natural occurring hives on the property and this is number 4 splitting off with a new queen I assume.

They stuck around overnight and were mostly gone this afternoon. The scouts must have found a home for the new queen and I hope they can keep seeding more colonies.

Edit: was wrong.
"The old queen and approximately two-thirds of the adult workers leave the colony in a swarm, traveling some distance to find a new location suitable for building a hive."

beefarnmay15thof2021wewz.jpg

beesmay15thfarm2021ffaZZZZZZ.jpg

Below: Common Yellowthroat yesterday-always shy birds.
2nd-a photo from last year of a male in the open. You have to shoot fast or they are gone in a flash! A favorite little bird you often hear scolding you, but don't see enough.

yellowthroat2021may15thorrrttttttt.jpg

yellowthorat2020june15thfarm8888888.jpg

Last edited:

Sportsman

Playing around with a new spotting scope (Nikon Monarch 20-60x82) that we’ll put to the test during our upcoming Grand Tetons / YNP trip. A little simple digiscoping with my iPhone using my local garden raider as a subject. Also bought a digiscope adapter for our Nikon DSLR’s. Quality will not be fantastic but will be cool for documentation purposes.

View attachment 281124

View attachment 281125

The deer have been active. The first fawn trotted through my yard last weekend, tight to its mother. And the bachelor herd has been wandering through as well. Their horn development continues. Steve
View attachment 283504 View attachment 283505 View attachment 283506
Not my backyard, but it was camp in Winthrop. First time hand feeding a deer blueberries!

Attachments

• IMG_20210528_165045.jpg
    IMG_20210528_165045.jpg
    370.5 KB · Views: 24

Jim Ficklin

Genuine Montana Fossil
Oh, to be a kid again. Daughter found this errant Bullfrog in the (former pasture, now) yard as they were changing sprinklers. It was a mile away from the nearest pond/lake. It was rescued & released into a better home. I doubt it would have survived the scorching-hot afternoon temps otherwise.

Attachments

• Bullfrog 1.jpg
    Bullfrog 1.jpg
    118 KB · Views: 13
  • Bullfrog 2.jpg
    Bullfrog 2.jpg
    108.5 KB · Views: 13
  • Bullfrog3.jpg
    Bullfrog3.jpg
    136 KB · Views: 13
Last edited:

Speyrod GB

I saw a killdeer place their nest in between 2 rv sites a few years ago. Pretty interesting. Neat birds.

Playing with my new toy - Nikon Z5 with my Tamron 150-600mm.
That is a sharp lens. You should have a lot of fun with it. Very nice.

We used to have killdeer nest on our gravel driveway on the farm in Kansas - always fun to watch them do the "broken wing thing" - can see how it would distract any predator away from looking for eggs. Fun birds.

cheers
They are fun for sure. Last summer we had one nest up in the middle of a football field we were building - I build schools, was/am working on a middle school in Issaquah. One problem, we had to put about 14' of cement treated fill on the surface where the nest was made. We marked the nest with cones and filled around it. By the time we were topped out with fill, the nest was down in a 14' hole that was about 14' wide at the top and had danger tape all around it. The show must go on, but also, couldn't just bully that bird out of there. Finally, eggs hatched and the family moved on - and we filled the hole. Win win in my book.

Support WFF | Remove the Ads

Support WFF by upgrading your account. Site supporters benefits include no ads and access to some additional features, few now, more in the works. Info

Latest posts