NFR backyard wildlife

wadin' boot

Donny, you're out of your element...
WFF Supporter
1625324581094.png
Shot from my back yard this AM- Question for all of you, I want to do series like these but this example is the most blunt way of doing it, and the crops look awful. Having said that, is there a program people use to help get a series into one image, or a website on how to? I mean I could spend a lot more time on photoshop to better crop and blur the backgrounds to make it look more seamless, but just wondering if people have easier ways to do it?

Billy McFly

I was hauling the trash down the driveway to the street in the late afternoon when I heard the alarm calls of the local robins and juncoes. There must be a predator in the area, probably a Cooper's hawk or sharp-shinned hawk. But when I looked carefully under the trees that line the driveway, I saw a barred owl sitting on a branch. I rushed back up to the house to grab my camera and it was still there when I returned. Because the light under the canopy wasn't very good, I circled around to try different perspectives. Then, the owl focused on something on the ground a bit down the hill and it was off in flash. It had grabbed a small garter snake. The owl thrashed the garter snake around a few times before swallowing the snake whole like a strand of linguini. Then, it had enough of me and flew off deeper into the forest. The robins were still not happy.
I have heard this species calling around the house previously but I had only seen an owl once pre-dawn on my way to work. Best view of this species yet.
Steve View attachment 287034
View attachment 287035
View attachment 287036
View attachment 287038
Steve
Awesome shots. Those opportunities don't come around often. What lens did you use for these shots?

Driftless Dan

Driftless Dan
WFF Supporter
I'm at my brother's place in The Driftless Area. Two nights ago, as the afternoon turned to evening, I was outside watching the half dozen or so rabbits grazing on the lawn. Many more this year, since my brother leased most of his land for corn, now over 8' tall!. Anyway, as I watched the rabbits, a large bobcat sauntered out and lay down on the grass. I'd like to say I caught a quick glimpse of him, but actually, he laid there for an hour! maybe 75 yards away for AN HOUR! Finally, I guess he decided he was too far from the bunnies to make a successful run at them, so he got up and sauntered back into the corn. Wild!

Driftless Dan

Driftless Dan
WFF Supporter
I'm at my brother's place in The Driftless Area. Two nights ago, as the afternoon turned to evening, I was outside watching the half dozen or so rabbits grazing on the lawn. Many more this year, since my brother leased most of his land for corn, now over 8' tall!. Anyway, as I watched the rabbits, a large bobcat sauntered out and lay down on the grass. I'd like to say I caught a quick glimpse of him, but actually, he laid there for an hour! maybe 75 yards away for AN HOUR! Finally, I guess he decided he was too far from the bunnies to make a successful run at them, so he got up and sauntered back into the corn. Wild!
Bobcat.jpg

He came back for breakfast today!

Support WFF | Remove the Ads

Support WFF by upgrading your account. Site supporters benefits include no ads and access to some additional features, few now, more in the works. Info