NFR backyard wildlife

Gyrfalcon21

You know, I would love to know.
From hearing them, we know we have screech, pygmy, great horned and saw-whet at various times in the year. It's easy (and fun!) to tell their calls as they're so unique. For the last couple years the great horned calls have been very distant. But we hear screech nearby pretty regularly. So I wouldn't have thought it's a great horned. But you bring up a good point. His ears are pretty tall.

My wife is the birder in the family, I'll let her know your thoughts and I'm sure it'll get some good conversation going :).
It is indeed a Western Screech Owl. Tiny compared to the big old GH Owls.

Jim Ficklin

Genuine Montana Fossil
I have to call that a Screech Owl. Looks much smaller than a Great Horned Owl and the pattern on the breast/body looks more like a Screech, plus the ears aren't long enough.

I've seen many Bobcats in the daylight hours and I'm sure that there have been many more near me that I haven't seen.

Jim Ficklin

Genuine Montana Fossil
Found a mantis in the basil
I haven't seen one of those yet this year. The Fox Squirrels have also disappeared from my neighborhood - haven't seen one since the prolonged heat wave. I'm guessing lack of water/disease wiped them out or they moved. I did keep water out in my yard for them even if they can be pests at times.

Canuck from Kansas

WFF Supporter
That's pretty amazing. Do you know how long that actually took?

Not good for the male bug either, like a black widow, the female devours the male post ...

cheers

Jim Ficklin

Genuine Montana Fossil
The creepiest thing about Praying Mantis is how they turn their head and look at you.
I spotted a new hornet nest (football) under the house eve one time. I went out with a can of wasp spray that evening and saw a mantis perched near the entrance hole. A hornet would land & immediately lose its head. The mantis cleaned out that nest in less than a day and the ants & beetles cleaned-up the headless carcasses below on the ground.

ceviche

I spotted a new hornet nest (football) under the house eve one time. I went out with a can of wasp spray that evening and saw a mantis perched near the entrance hole. A hornet would land & immediately lose its head. The mantis cleaned out that nest in less than a day and the ants & beetles cleaned-up the headless carcasses below on the ground.
The sight of that would've made my little heart swell up with love and gratitude. Spare the chemicals and open the banquet table is what I say! Definitely more entertaining than the sound of a shop vac droning through the hours of sunset.

Support WFF | Remove the Ads

Support WFF by upgrading your account. Site supporters benefits include no ads and access to some additional features, few now, more in the works. Info

Latest posts