Just sayin... Not starting anything

Salmo_g

WFF Supporter
And all along I thought March 1st is still ice fishing season in central and eastern WA. Do ya'll have one of those ice shanties built on skis that you tow out on the lakes with your snowmobile?

Buzzy

And all along I thought March 1st is still ice fishing season in central and eastern WA. Do ya'll have one of those ice shanties built on skis that you tow out on the lakes with your snowmobile?
Really old school here; nothing but 4X4 trucks to tow out the shanties.

Oh man, thread drift. So the story goes......... Big Dan, a Mattawa native, and quite the adventurer had this big old Buick clunker. He cut a hole in the floor board and would drive it out on the ice. Moses Lake was his favorite. He'd park, get out and fire up his auger then position the Buick so the holes lined up. He'd sit in his car, motor running, heater blowing (so the story goes). He'd be warm and cozy, reeling in perch and the occasional walleye. Meanwhile, outside everyone is cussing him and freezing their --- off. (toes) Someone offered Dan a couple hundred dollars for the old clunker, Dan took the money. The Buick rests on the bottom of Moses Lake (kind of like the Studebaker Hole on one of the S rivers). Legend? Fact? Fiction? Farce? Knowing Dan, he probably did drive a car out on the ice and fish through a hole in the floor board.

Buzzy

20 days....
https://www.wunderground.com/forecast/us/wa/moses-lake :eek:

The good news is it looks like the sun breaks out and highs in the mid 40s by 2/17 or 18.

I'm gonna be a glass half full guy and say ice-free on Lenice, Nunnally and Quincy lakes by 2/21. Is that over or under? :D
I like your optimism. Three weeks ago I fished a small lake, hooked trout (even caught a couple). Three days later I hiked in and found the lake completely frozen over with a lovely coat of snow. A week later; sunshine, wind and 60F. The ice came off in a hurry. Two days ago I hiked back in, it was cold, I had snow on my truck when I left home (my fault, I washed the truck the day before). This is what I dealt with two days ago:
DSCF1872.JPG
Last night the temperature dipped to 15F, I'm guessing the lake is freezing up if not iced over. We might break 32F today, maybe. But for the rest of the week the temperature at night is forecast from 11F to 21F. I'm guessing your optimistic 2/21 ice free prediction may be a tad off, eh! :rolleyes: The Shawn Seeger Effect is in full swing.

MGTom

Living at the place of many waters
WFF Supporter
A friend texted the lakes are almost froze to the middle, so I'm not even loading up. Seems to me we were dealing with those huge floods about this date last year. Winter.

zen leecher aka bill w

born to work, forced to fish
Really old school here; nothing but 4X4 trucks to tow out the shanties.

Oh man, thread drift. So the story goes......... Big Dan, a Mattawa native, and quite the adventurer had this big old Buick clunker. He cut a hole in the floor board and would drive it out on the ice. Moses Lake was his favorite. He'd park, get out and fire up his auger then position the Buick so the holes lined up. He'd sit in his car, motor running, heater blowing (so the story goes). He'd be warm and cozy, reeling in perch and the occasional walleye. Meanwhile, outside everyone is cussing him and freezing their --- off. (toes) Someone offered Dan a couple hundred dollars for the old clunker, Dan took the money. The Buick rests on the bottom of Moses Lake (kind of like the Studebaker Hole on one of the S rivers). Legend? Fact? Fiction? Farce? Knowing Dan, he probably did drive a car out on the ice and fish through a hole in the floor board.
We had a car out on the ice a couple years ago when we had the big freeze.

zen leecher aka bill w

born to work, forced to fish
For the weather report trackers.... starting Saturday we have three days with snow in the forecast. Needed some of that for the veteran's duck hunt last weekend. That Saturday was 56 degrees on the drive home.

wanative

Retired, gone fishin'
I like your optimism. Three weeks ago I fished a small lake, hooked trout (even caught a couple). Three days later I hiked in and found the lake completely frozen over with a lovely coat of snow. A week later; sunshine, wind and 60F. The ice came off in a hurry. Two days ago I hiked back in, it was cold, I had snow on my truck when I left home (my fault, I washed the truck the day before). This is what I dealt with two days ago:
View attachment 270984
Last night the temperature dipped to 15F, I'm guessing the lake is freezing up if not iced over. We might break 32F today, maybe. But for the rest of the week the temperature at night is forecast from 11F to 21F. I'm guessing your optimistic 2/21 ice free prediction may be a tad off, eh! :rolleyes: The Shawn Seeger Effect is in full swing.
At first I thought the picture was a woodpecker upside down on a pole.:D

Buzzy

At first I thought the picture was a woodpecker upside down on a pole.:D
Ah, Fred - Fred!
Tell ya what, man, that goofy looking balanced minnow is one ACTIVE fly. Definition "ACTIVE": Spun the tippet up so tight while twitch retrieving that it made the quick release indicator dive. Twice. And twice I thought I'd fooled a trout only to realized I'd fooled an old fool. The fly needs some work. I think I will give it the moniker "Fred's Upside Down Woodpecker" (don't go there).

wanative

Retired, gone fishin'
Ah, Fred - Fred!
Tell ya what, man, that goofy looking balanced minnow is one ACTIVE fly. Definition "ACTIVE": Spun the tippet up so tight while twitch retrieving that it made the quick release indicator dive. Twice. And twice I thought I'd fooled a trout only to realized I'd fooled an old fool. The fly needs some work. I think I will give it the moniker "Fred's Upside Down Woodpecker" (don't go there).
Yer crackin' me up man! :p

Support WFF | Remove the Ads

Support WFF by upgrading your account. Site supporters benefits include no ads and access to some additional features, few now, more in the works. Info

Latest posts