NFR Garden Thread 2021

Dr. Magill

I love looking at those
Mine get full of aphids
Same with lupine
So I never grow them
I love them trailing in baskets, off a ledge or rock wall. For some reason it’s aphid city. I really dig Gerbera Daisy’s but they’re a white fly magnet
Don’t grow them either
Nice looking flowers

Albula

swollen member
I don't have much of an issue with insect pests but the deer, even here in town, are a real pain to deal with. I am envious of the amount of room you have allowing you to feature each bed. I live in a jungle.
KIMG0330.JPG

Stonefish

Triploid, Humpy & Seaplane Hater....Know Grizzler
I’ve been monitoring my free produce patch on my walks. It’s finally go time so made a quick trip to one of my favorite picking spots.
The south facing patches are really starting come on. Ripe blackberries.......must be time for the humpies to arrive in mass. ;)
Some will end up on Breyers vanilla ice cream tonight.
SF

F49C8FB2-108E-46B2-B855-08762E120136.jpeg

Salmo_g

WFF Supporter
Question about blueberries: In late June my 2 blueberry plants were coming on strong, with berries ripening earlier than usual. So I picked 1 1/2 quarts and predicted that I'd have a peak production picking in a week or less. And then the ripening just stalled, a good 3 weeks, even though the weather has continued warm to hot. Finally picked another quart and a half day before yesterday, with a lot of what I picked being a tad less than fully ripe. Don't know when, if ever, the remainder of the crop will ripen. Seems like mid-July is generally peak for blueberries.

After reading about the heat wave devastating raspberry and blueberry crops in the PNW, it got me wondering if that late June heat screwed with my blueberry plants too. One of the bushes still has 2 or 3 quarts of berries on it - if they ever ripen.

What sayeth the green thumb gurus?

wetswinger

Well my onion experiment was a success. I planted these long day storage onions, from seed, in March in a little clotch. If they cure properly they will last until next Spring. My plan is to plant short day sweet onions (Walla Walla) around Aug.16th in the same space, to overwinter and then harvest in June. Trying to have garden onions year-round. I have always been curious if you could have storage onions grow here, and with a dry summer like this one, you can....

Attachments

• 20210731_103328.jpg
    20210731_103328.jpg
    2.1 MB · Views: 8

wetswinger

Question about blueberries: In late June my 2 blueberry plants were coming on strong, with berries ripening earlier than usual. So I picked 1 1/2 quarts and predicted that I'd have a peak production picking in a week or less. And then the ripening just stalled, a good 3 weeks, even though the weather has continued warm to hot. Finally picked another quart and a half day before yesterday, with a lot of what I picked being a tad less than fully ripe. Don't know when, if ever, the remainder of the crop will ripen. Seems like mid-July is generally peak for blueberries.

After reading about the heat wave devastating raspberry and blueberry crops in the PNW, it got me wondering if that late June heat screwed with my blueberry plants too. One of the bushes still has 2 or 3 quarts of berries on it - if they ever ripen.

I water mine heavy during berry season and it seems to help. Every Spring during budbrake (April) I rake in some cottonseed meal. It is a slightly acidic organic fertilizer that is used as animal feed. Doing both has really paid off. The heat roasted my raspberries but seems not to have affected my blueberries.

Shawn Seeger

(aka. wabowhunter)
WFF Supporter

We had a the same experience, were at 1250ft foothills zone 7b or 8a. Our bushes provided a bumper crop last year. This year I think I didn't get the fertilizer (amendment) on/in the soul in time.

I am going to do more to the surrounding soil and a good layer of wood chips around then in the fall.

I will say the wild blueberries, under old growth, are doing well, I will be headed up into the forest in the next week!

quilbilly

Big Time Hater
Couple more lilies this week..

This one is Black Beauty, down facing and fragrant. 20210731_140109.jpg

This on is a species lily, Lilium auratum
Probably my favorite, it's variable as a grower as it is a species and not a hybrid.

20210731_140516.jpg

The produce aisle has a few things doing well, including a couple pots of glass just for the hell of it. Squash, tomatillos and storage onions in pots, they all do pretty well as long as I remember to water regularly

20210731_135602.jpg

20210731_135629.jpg

20210731_135524.jpg

20210731_135550.jpg

20210731_135540.jpg

Flower garden still kicking out the flowers, it was nice to have clouds today for a change.
20210731_140554.jpg

20210731_140250.jpg

20210731_140310.jpg

Dr. Magill

My only thought would be to water the shit out of them during the hot spell
They’re surface rooters

Birdsnest

I tried growing blueberries for 20 years at my house in Kirkland and never got more than a handful of berries. Last fall I dug up the last of my bushes and gave it to my daughter who lives in CDA. It has been really hot there this summer and the bush is loaded.

Support WFF | Remove the Ads

Support WFF by upgrading your account. Site supporters benefits include no ads and access to some additional features, few now, more in the works. Info

Latest posts