NFR Garden Thread 2021

Vandelay Industries

A wholly owned subsidiary of Kramerica Industries
I purchased a greenhouse for my wife as a Christmas/you're doing great remote teaching during COVID present. I have spent the last several weekend working on creating a platform and putting it together with my father in-law. Finally got it finished up today.

IMG_20210102_163843.jpg
Since the area is a slope, we had to create a platform.

IMG_20210103_161549.jpg
Installing stringers and getting it level.

IMG_20210109_125655.jpg
Installing some fine meshed screen to hopefully keep rodents out from underneath the platform.

IMG_20210110_104222.jpg
Deck installed.

IMG_20210116_170256.jpg
Greenhouse frame completed

IMG_20210117_170310.jpg
Almost done but at this point we needed redo part of the frame as it prevented further progress.

IMG_20210123_155223.jpg

Completed project.

IMG_20210123_155233.jpg

IMG_20210123_155244.jpg

tallguy

Look into juniper wood. Supposed to be the most durable and rot resistant option without treatment. I am giving it a try. We'll see. Most of it comes from eastern or.

jesse clark

About raised beds. I used 2 x 12 Doug fir, couldn't find cedar at the time. It's not gonna' last much longer. I was thinking of using Trex decking, stacked 2 or 3 planks high when replacement time comes. Anyone know if that's a good choice? What do y'all use for the sides on your raised beds?

I used pressure treated lumber for longevity but lined the boxes with galvanized panels. I cut the panels 16 inches and installed them vertically, no bowing. I finished with a 2x6 flat on top to sit or kneel on. They are about 4x8. The nice thing about this design is the ease of installing climbing trellis anywhere you want and then move them around. The white pvc is my automatic irrigation system and grid for square foot method.
20200323_161430.jpg 20200323_161430.jpg

Salmo_g

WFF Supporter
I have a bunch of seeds left over from the last 2 or 3 seasons. If I order only what I'm out of, I'm looking at an order of 2 packages from Territorial. Or will I be better off to just order all new seeds for everything I want to plant this year?

quilbilly

Big Time Hater
Some seeds can last for a few years, others don't.
The germination rate tends to go down over time in my experience, anything over two years old we discard.
Seeds are cheap, so buying new each year is our approach.

jesse clark

I have a bunch of seeds left over from the last 2 or 3 seasons. If I order only what I'm out of, I'm looking at an order of 2 packages from Territorial. Or will I be better off to just order all new seeds for everything I want to plant this year?
Take a few seeds from several packages, put them between sheets of paper towel and keep moist in ten days see what the germination rate was. Then decide if you need new?

Meeshka

My buddy came accross some black peppercorn plant seeds and will give me a dozen or so to try to grow and harvest my own peppercorns this year. Never done this before, any of you with experience? I've read just about as much as I can find on the net. Thanks

Doug

kmudgn

I am ready, but garden still sleeping. Living in NH, I buy my seeds from FEDCO which is in ME. They specialize in cold climate varieties.

Attachments

• snow.jpg
    snow.jpg
    4.3 MB · Views: 8
  • seeds '21.jpg
    seeds '21.jpg
    3.2 MB · Views: 8

wetswinger

Soil temps are in the low 40's near me, so pea planting is just around the corner...
Anybody been bold and planter theirs yet ?
;)
In another week after this coming cold patch leaves, I'll sow mine. My logbook shows around the 15th has worked in the past. Going to try germination indoors this year to try for better yield as peas seem to fail to sprout vigorously. Anyone have any advise for sowing peas? I usually just over plant in expectation of low success...

quilbilly

Big Time Hater
In another week after this coming cold patch leaves, I'll sow mine. My logbook shows around the 15th has worked in the past. Going to try germination indoors this year to try for better yield as peas seem to fail to sprout vigorously. Anyone have any advise for sowing peas? I usually just over plant in expectation of low success...
Thats how we do it, sow a bunch and then sow again after we see what comes up. We also do containers for peas, Black garbage cans, soil warms faster and better germination rate typically.

jwg

Really liked the 5 gallon bucket gardening last year on top of gutters that supplied water f rom the bottom, with automatic control on the gutter pool level by a float valve

Neighbor on the south side put up a new fence that will provide some wind protection if I plant on my side of it, so thinking of that as an option this year. I ge a lot of wind, typically from the SW.

J

Support WFF | Remove the Ads

Support WFF by upgrading your account. Site supporters benefits include no ads and access to some additional features, few now, more in the works. Info

Latest posts