NFR Garden Thread 2021

quilbilly

Big Time Hater

ecmwf-deterministic-washington-total_snow_kuchera-3163600.png
Far to early to know whats really going to happen, but I'm not planting peas this week, just to be on the safe side. Temps below freezing for highs later in the week, lows in the teens, 30" of snow...
We shall see...
:)

Meeshka

Well, just NE in Alberta low at my house -36C, wind chills near -50C and not expected to get much better for another 7 days. Truck hardly started and it was plugged in!

Porter

We use to have a great garden. Try to work on it soon. But been doing a lot
Of pruning and this bad ass is an awesome tool. Wife bought it. After using it today
I said don’t tell me how much... I don’t care. I’m sure worth every penny. Just sweet.

9E470784-A4C1-48E4-949C-37F986E31794.jpeg

wetswinger

Germinated my peas indoors this week, after roughing up thier outside husk and placing in a wet towel. Four days later there are sprouting and placed in my raised bed. Two weeks behind last year. First thing in, yee-ha. Two more weeks and it scallions, radishes and mustard greens...

psycho

I still have at least a month before cool weather plants can be put in the ground. Frost killed off all my melons , cukes and peppers the second week of June.

quilbilly

Big Time Hater
Peas in, greens germinating, shrubs transplanted.
Next month dividing some perennials, and more in April, hoping for planting out the starts from the seed house in late March.
Things happen fast in April, so getting things up and ready in March is always important.
Got more lily bulbs to plant, as well as 100 gladiolus bulbs.
Gonna be busy....again.
:)

Skip Enge

Uck Uck Uck, bitches
transplanted parsnips, elephant garlic and parsley plants...going to redesign the garden now...the hex planters were temporary and can be unbolted and reassembled in various shapes...dug leeks last month and favas are flowering...peas planted a few days ago as well as tatsoi...bunching onions moved too...going to dig out the hex bins dismantle and move...about 5 yards of dood amended soil...Having gardened a summer here at Jeannes in town I have learned a lot about the light here and have to agjust the where I plant...Gone are the days of 40 tomato plants and 30 pepper plants...not enough room or light...Saffron has taken off ...have to remember not to water june through august...might plant more Asian greens ...not a lot just a half dozen or so...My Dutch mache aka corn salad has been great in salads this winter...mild winter here other thanthe 4 days of snow...

tallguy

Planted 2 crops of peas last year (I live in Tacoma) and also noticed many didn't germinate in the spring to early summer period. Come fall, about 8 or so of those peas popped out of the ground, and almost all have survived the entire winter so far. The biggest actually bloomed all winter long, got to 24" or so. Lost a couple to the snow and cold a couple weeks ago, but others are totally fine. They are mostly 8-12" now, and looking good.

Because I was harvesting argula all last winter from a small clump that kept going, I let some arugula go to seed last year, and spread the seeds everywhere in my garden in the fall. Hundreds came up, been eating it all winter. Snow didn't knock it back at all. Had 4 kale plants also survive all winter just fine, we kept harvesting that too.

My baby bok Choi keeps bolting. Any advice?

Skip Enge

Uck Uck Uck, bitches
Planted 2 crops of peas last year (I live in Tacoma) and also noticed many didn't germinate in the spring to early summer period. Come fall, about 8 or so of those peas popped out of the ground, and almost all have survived the entire winter so far. The biggest actually bloomed all winter long, got to 24" or so. Lost a couple to the snow and cold a couple weeks ago, but others are totally fine. They are mostly 8-12" now, and looking good.

Because I was harvesting argula all last winter from a small clump that kept going, I let some arugula go to seed last year, and spread the seeds everywhere in my garden in the fall. Hundreds came up, been eating it all winter. Snow didn't knock it back at all. Had 4 kale plants also survive all winter just fine, we kept harvesting that too.

My baby bok Choi keeps bolting. Any advice?
keep flower heads forming pinched off and look at the variety you plant...LOTS OF CHOICES...climate and latitude...

Support WFF | Remove the Ads

Support WFF by upgrading your account. Site supporters benefits include no ads and access to some additional features, few now, more in the works. Info

Latest posts