Washington Fly Fishing Forum banner

What’s So Special About Borden?

1K views 7 replies 4 participants last post by  ScottP 
#1 ·
Borden Special Crippler

Notional; seemed like a good platform to play with.

hook - WFC Model 6 #8
thread - Danville 6/0 fluoro pink
tag - tinsel silver
rib - small wire silver
body - dubbing fuchsia
body hackle - grizzly dyed hot pink (1 Tbs Rit Fuchsia/4 cups water)
1st shoulder - hen dyed yellow (1 Tbs Rit Lemon Yellow/1 cup water)
2nd shoulder - hen dyed hot pink

Regards,
Scott

See less See more
#2 ·
Borden Special Mayfly variation

The hatch is something to behold.

hook - WFC Model 6 #8
thread - Danville 6/0 fluoro pink
tag - tinsel opal
rib - Mirror Flash opal
tail - turkey flat fibers dyed hot pink (1 Tbs Rit Fuchsia/4 cups water) over yellow (1 Tbs Rit Lemon Yellow/1 cup water)
body - dubbing fuchsia
body hackle - dyed hot pink/dyed yellow
1st shoulder - hen dyed yellow
2nd shoulder - chukar dyed hot pink

Regards,
Scott

#3 ·
Borden Special Muddler

Skipped a tag and wing since there's enough going on here as it is. Need to re-visit the pink dye formula - worked okay for feathers but in order to get the right shade on the ungulate I couldn't leave it in the dye bath long enough to soak thru (hence the light/white butts on the trimmed hair). When it did soak thru, the color was way too deep (a neat shade of hot red that will be used somewhere).

hook - WFC Model 6 #8
thread - UTC 140 fluoro pink
rib - small wire silver
tail - turkey flat fibers dyed hot pink (1 Tbs Rit Fuchsia/4 cups water) over yellow (1 Tbs Rit Lemon Yellow/1 cup water)
body - Ice Dub Fluoro Pink
body hackle - dyed hot pink/dyed yellow
shoulder - chukar yellow
head/collar - pronghorn dyed hot pink

Regards,
Scott

#5 ·
The depth of my knowledge is that it’s a cool looking coastal cutthroat pattern that I though would be fun to play around with. You should do a quick search and watch Jay Nicholas’ vid; all of his are a pleasure to watch and the Borden is no exception.

Regards,
Scott

#7 ·
I've known Bob Borden for many moons and fished with him on a frequent basis.... primarily at Mann Lake. The Borden Special was developed long, long ago for use for SRC on the Alsea and Siletz rivers in Oregon.

He told me it was an attempt to mimic a shrimp kind'a critter so it was critical that the hackle be tied long and full, just as Scott has done. I've seen a lot of Borden Special patterns offered for sale that are actually "under hackled".

The guys in our fishing group found that a traditional Borden Special also worked to catch salmon and steelhead in addition to SRC … when you fish on the Oregon coastal rivers for anadromous species you certainly want to carry Borden Specials.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.