Albacore Roll Call 2021

SilverFly

I am booked on a mid August boat with Nick and I am super excited. Let’s hope everything that needs to come together does! Anyone else already start tinkering with flies just for the hell of it? I woke up too early to start my honey do list so decided to play around some more....
View attachment 268744
Looking good. If you're dragging those squids, be sure to you don't set your drag too tight and hold on!

jasmillo

WFF Supporter
Not yet. My 2/0 and 3/0 hooks just came the other day (I actually also ordered a pack of 6/0 & 8/0 just in case Mr. Mako decides to show up).

Yeah, not sure why but I ordered a pack of 2/0 Ahrex SA270 Blue Water hooks awhile back from Spawnflyfish. Need to place another order with them soon.

Now I am shopping for a 12 weight setup. I know I only have one day booked this year and nothings guaranteed with that fishery. I don’t plan on leaving WA anytime soon though. Plus, some day I might want to go after tarpon or something else tropical requiring it. Honestly, it’s sad how little justification I need to buy myself another rod, especially if I have a hole....

Clarkman

Huge Fly Guy
WFF Supporter
Yeah, not sure why but I ordered a pack of 2/0 Ahrex SA270 Blue Water hooks awhile back from Spawnflyfish. Need to place another order with them soon.

Now I am shopping for a 12 weight setup. I know I only have one day booked this year and nothings guaranteed with that fishery. I don’t plan on leaving WA anytime soon though. Plus, some day I might want to go after tarpon or something else tropical requiring it. Honestly, it’s sad how little justification I need to buy myself another rod, especially if I have a hole....

Shit, I'm keeping my eyes peeled for either a used 14wt or a 12wt OG Bad Ass Glass just to have a rod rigged in case we see a Mako....damn, I need help.

Nick Clayton

WFF Supporter

I totally get the desire to buy new gear! But really you are more than welcome to use mine man. I just acquired a fourth 12 wt so I will have plenty onboard

Kfish

WFF Supporter
I am booked on a mid August boat with Nick and I am super excited. Let’s hope everything that needs to come together does! Anyone else already start tinkering with flies just for the hell of it? I woke up too early to start my honey do list so decided to play around some more....
View attachment 268744
Nice! I just ordered some Ahrex blue water 2/0 to start tying. Pace yourself man it's 7mo away lol it's a long time.
I ordered a TFO Bluewater SG 12wt directly from TFO.
Echo Bravo reel and airflo depthfinder line will come from Spawnflyfish.
I'm on 8/22, what about you?

jasmillo

WFF Supporter
I totally get the desire to buy new gear! But really you are more than welcome to use mine man. I just acquired a fourth 12 wt so I will have plenty onboard

shhhh, delete that. My wife might be lurking :)!

Nice! I just ordered some Ahrex blue water 2/0 to start tying. Pace yourself man it's 7mo away lol it's a long time.
I ordered a TFO Bluewater SG 12wt directly from TFO.
Echo Bravo reel and airflo depthfinder line will come from Spawnflyfish.
I'm on 8/22, what about you?

Yeah, I know right! Back to SRC flies tonight for tomorrow’s session. I’m on the 8/15.

SilverFly

Blue sharks are also a lot of fun on the fly. At least IMO. And they are quite common
They're actually beautiful fish. Hoping we can get some underwater shots or video this year. And they are fun, if frustrating to hook when focused on tuna.

As for "common"? Geez, if guys wanted to catch blues on fly gear it wouldn't take much more than some tuna blood and patience, to have them swarming the boat. Seems like it never takes long for the first to show after getting on a school of tuna. Given how many sharks are out there, it would be interesting, maybe even a bit unnerving to deliberately set up a chum slick and see what shows.

Edit: Might be a fun way to kill some time on one of those days when tuna are taking an extra-long mid-day siesta. Blues showing are as close to a guaranteed thing as there is out there, but always the chance for salmon shark, thresher, and of course mako.

Last edited:

Nick Clayton

WFF Supporter
They're actually beautiful fish. Hoping we can get some underwater shots or video this year. And they are fun, if frustrating to hook when focused on tuna.

As for "common"? Geez, if guys wanted to catch blues on fly gear it wouldn't take much more than some tuna blood and patience, to have them swarming the boat. Seems like it never takes long for the first to show after getting on a school of tuna. Given how many sharks are out there, it would be interesting, maybe even a bit unnerving to deliberately set up a chum slick and see what shows.

Edit: Might be a fun way to kill some time on one of those days when tuna are taking an extra-long mid-day siesta. Blues showing are as close to a guaranteed thing as there is out there, but always the chance for salmon shark, thresher, and of course mako.

I've always wanted to take a day and just get out there and start a big chum slick and see what shows up. I think that would be super fun. Not necessarily charter material, but a fun way to spend a day with some like minded buds.

Its odd, last year I saw by FAR the least amount of blue sharks offshore that I ever have. Most years they are a serious nuisance most of the time, and make it down right impossible to fish anchovies on many days. This year we seldom had a problem with them. One or two swimming around was the norm, but seldom too many more than that save for a few days here and there.

The flip side of that is I saw WAY more of them inshore than I ever have. When salmon fishing I had to stop fishing hoochies with a herring strip because we were hooking too many of them on the troll. Even hooked a few on flounder while lingcod fishing which I've never done before.

SilverFly

I've always wanted to take a day and just get out there and start a big chum slick and see what shows up. I think that would be super fun. Not necessarily charter material, but a fun way to spend a day with some like minded buds.

Its odd, last year I saw by FAR the least amount of blue sharks offshore that I ever have. Most years they are a serious nuisance most of the time, and make it down right impossible to fish anchovies on many days. This year we seldom had a problem with them. One or two swimming around was the norm, but seldom too many more than that save for a few days here and there.

The flip side of that is I saw WAY more of them inshore than I ever have. When salmon fishing I had to stop fishing hoochies with a herring strip because we were hooking too many of them on the troll. Even hooked a few on flounder while lingcod fishing which I've never done before.

Would be some serious irony to get a bunch of sharks chummed in, then have tuna show up being attracted to all the commotion.

Yeah, didn't seem to be as many blues on the trips I was on. Always interesting how every year is different out there.

Support WFF | Remove the Ads

Support WFF by upgrading your account. Site supporters benefits include no ads and access to some additional features, few now, more in the works. Info

Latest posts