Albacore Roll Call 2021

JayB

I'm sitting here waiting for the thinset underneath some tiles that I set to dry enough to pull the levelers out, so I took a couple of minutes to create a bogus Google account ([email protected]) to create an editable spreadsheet with a basic format that people on WFF could use to do things like let people who want to be "on call" put themselves on a sharable list if someone on a particular trip has to bail.

I won't be offended if no one wants to use it, since the only other thing I'd have done with that time is swill a beer and watch "Jerry of the Day" videos on YouTube. If people actually use it it's something that could be sent via PM to keep random yahoos from messing with it

I couldn't figure out how to keep the link from getting displayed as media, so if you want to use the link just put lowercase "h" at the front of the URL

ttps://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/108gNcujQ8GfGYN4eBqPPiBpNlbWAYzsC6c0lSxOrhic/edit?usp=sharing

Kfish

WFF Supporter
Folks who’ve fished Albacore before:

I realize I forgot a dark back, but I on the right track here with this tube fly? Any feedback and criticism is welcome.

View attachment 269030

Looks good! Maybe run a dark marker down the back? Probably doesn't matter but then again I wouldn't know :)
Discussion about tube fly vs conventional ties would be good to have!
What kind of head is that?

Jake

Looks good! Maybe run a dark marker down the back? Probably doesn't matter but then again I wouldn't know :)
Discussion about tube fly vs conventional ties would be good to have!
What kind of head is that?
Thanks!

That’s a @Spawnflyfish Crew Boss that I’ve glued eyes into.

SilverFly

Folks who’ve fished Albacore before:

I realize I forgot a dark back, but I on the right track here with this tube fly? Any feedback and criticism is welcome.

View attachment 269030
Looks good. Nice overall profile. Also like the clear Spawn Fly head. I'd fish that for albies. The other thing that comes to mind is tie it with a light tan back and take it to Baja.

Nick Clayton

WFF Supporter
Id fish it. Some days thats all you would need. Other days you'd think they thought the fly was poisonous and avoid it like the plague. I cant express enough how crazy these fish can be.

Until you cast a fly into water that is just frothing with albacore and they completely ignore it, its hard to understand.

As far as tubes vs standard....In my experience tubes are fine. I dont really mess with them simply because I haven't found an advantage to them. Haven't found a disadvantage either though

Jake

As far as tubes vs standard....In my experience tubes are fine. I dont really mess with them simply because I haven't found an advantage to them. Haven't found a disadvantage either though
I like them because I can use short shank hooks and avoid the whole leveraging issue, but that’s with sea runs and coho. I also like the ability to change hook size.

They also don’t get savaged as quickly by things like barracuda.

For tuna, I’m going with the “tie as many different flies as I can think of” method. It assuages my ADD and since I don’t really know what I’m doing my plan is to throw a bunch of stuff at the tuna and see what sticks them.
7ED84E87-2305-40A7-9ABE-98A91518FDA3.jpeg

I’m also going to throw the flies my 5yo tied because I promised the little bugger.

By himself: F7D25744-E589-463E-9D4C-AE89E8C0ABD2.jpeg
With mom’s help:
B01D4C14-9AB1-4192-95AE-A9EEEA168F70.jpeg

Last edited:

Nick Clayton

WFF Supporter
I like them because I can use short shank hooks and avoid the whole leveraging issue, but that’s with sea runs and coho.

They also don’t get savaged as quickly by things like barracuda.

Yeah, that is an advantage. I just tie all my albacore flies on short shank hooks anyway. Short strikes aren't an issue.

Tube flies do last longer, but I've been impressed with the durability of standard flies with albacore. I have a fly sitting on my desk that I used two seasons ago. It caught God knows how many albacore. The hook is rusty and dull as hell, but the fly is still plenty fishable

SilverFly

Also wouldn't worry about not tying in a dark back. Light colored, or even all white flies can be quickly customized on the water using markers.

Porter

Done the salmon meat runs, and tuna trips off coast of Oregon, did a dory a couple years ago out of Pacific City Oregon. Something happened to me in my 40's. Use to go out in the ocean, use to do carnival rides , but then I burped and farted at the same time and since I can no longer do sea waves or carnival rides without getting quezy. I think that chapter of my fishing life has ended. And it really sucks!!!

bk paige

Wishin I was on the Sauk
Done the salmon meat runs, and tuna trips off coast of Oregon, did a dory a couple years ago out of Pacific City Oregon. Something happened to me in my 40's. Use to go out in the ocean, use to do carnival rides , but then I burped and farted at the same time and since I can no longer do sea waves or carnival rides without getting quezy. I think that chapter of my fishing life has ended. And it really sucks!!!

Just suck it up, I have puked more that any man alive. I still fish but doo try and avoid puking, but sometimes ya just gotta man up.

Oh look, fish on, you can puke after!

Porter

Just suck it up, I have puked more that any man alive. I still fish but doo try and avoid puking, but sometimes ya just gotta man up.

Oh look, fish on, you can puke after!
I know there’s some truth to that. But man have I weakened a lot in last few years and am not proud of it or to admit it.. Still do the bushwacking make my own path to creeks or rivers but those damn sea waves have taken a toll on me.

bk paige

Wishin I was on the Sauk
I know there’s some truth to that. But man have I weakened a lot in last few years and am not proud of it or to admit it.. Still do the bushwacking make my own path to creeks or rivers but those damn sea waves have taken a toll on me.

It seems it is getting better as I age for me, but after 1 day the thought of a second day I really have to talk myself into it!.

Support WFF | Remove the Ads

Support WFF by upgrading your account. Site supporters benefits include no ads and access to some additional features, few now, more in the works. Info

Latest posts