Albacore Roll Call 2021

jasmillo

WFF Supporter
What reels are folks on this thread using. Prior to booking this trip, the biggest rods I owned were 8 and 10 weights. I have Orvis Hydros for those rods.

I want to be considerate of the fact I probably won’t be fishing the 12 a ton. That said, I intend to chase more than tuna with it. If it was just 1-2 tuna trips a year, I’d probably not think twice and buy an Echo Bravo based on Nick’s earlier recommendation in this thread. He recommended the Orvis Hydros awhile back (previous model) and it is one of the best recommendations I have ever come across on the board. I own 6 or 7 of them now. I also have not come across a ton of reviews of the Bravo online.

If I were to use that 12 more often - maybe occasional tarpon, etc. type trips, should I consider something more like Galvin Torque or Sage Spectrum Max or would a Bravo be just fine? Do I need to consider something even more high end than the Galvan? Based on my experience buying smaller weight fly gear for years, I know higher cost does not mean better performance/durability. For those with more experience than I, does it make a difference with gear used on big saltwater species? In the end, I’ll buy what makes sense but I do not want to purchase a Mercedes when a Toyota will do the job!

Ryan Janos

What reels are folks on this thread using. Prior to booking this trip, the biggest rods I owned were 8 and 10 weights. I have Orvis Hydros for those rods.

I want to be considerate of the fact I probably won’t be fishing the 12 a ton. That said, I intend to chase more than tuna with it. If it was just 1-2 tuna trips a year, I’d probably not think twice and buy an Echo Bravo based on Nick’s earlier recommendation in this thread. He recommended the Orvis Hydros awhile back (previous model) and it is one of the best recommendations I have ever come across on the board. I own 6 or 7 of them now. I also have not come across a ton of reviews of the Bravo online.

If I were to use that 12 more often - maybe occasional tarpon, etc. type trips, should I consider something more like Galvin Torque or Sage Spectrum Max or would a Bravo be just fine? Do I need to consider something even more high end than the Galvan? Based on my experience buying smaller weight fly gear for years, I know higher cost does not mean better performance/durability. For those with more experience than I, does it make a difference with gear used on big saltwater species? In the end, I’ll buy what makes sense but I do not want to purchase a Mercedes when a Toyota will do the job!
IMO Sage Spectrum drag is weak sauce for blue water fish (tho probably fine for Albies). Go Galvan, Ross, Abel if you're going to get a bunch of use out of it and if you like shiny stuff that you'll never have to replace. I've really enjoyed a Torque 10 on my 12wt. I cut down my fly line a bunch and added a ton of extra backing and I've been glad I did on a few occasions.

Kfish

WFF Supporter

I'm ordering an Echo Bravo from spawnflyfish.
Got a TFO Bluewater SG 12wt, also reasonably priced.
I don't see myself going for tuna more than once a year, or any big fish.

NRC

WFF Supporter
Public service announcement - I have had to cancel a reservation with Allrivers for Saturday, September 11 due to the emergence of a long-term obligation. The reservation was for their 29’ boat with cap’n Nick.

No guarantee it’s still open or they haven’t shuffled boats around, but that’s a primo Saturday, should be right in the thick of bloody deck season. Would love to see it go to a bunch of misfit bugtossers rather than gear slingers!

jasmillo

WFF Supporter
Public service announcement - I have had to cancel a reservation with Allrivers for Saturday, September 11 due to the emergence of a long-term obligation. The reservation was for their 29’ boat with cap’n Nick.

No guarantee it’s still open or they haven’t shuffled boats around, but that’s a primo Saturday, should be right in the thick of bloody deck season. Would love to see it go to a bunch of misfit bugtossers rather than gear slingers!

Is there one spot on that day or the whole crew booked for that day is a no go?

jasmillo

WFF Supporter
If it’s not already rebooked, I would probably be able to do it as well. My only other day is mid August which could potentially be a little early I hear. That said, even if it’s great, I’d be down for two trips.

Bagman

If it’s not already rebooked, I would probably be able to do it as well. My only other day is mid August which could potentially be a little early I hear. That said, even if it’s great, I’d be down for two trips.
Even if it is a little early will be able to give us some G2, and be better prepared for your next outing

Joepa

Joe from PA

I had the same thought process back when I started albacore fishing and didn't want to splurge on a top shelf setup. I picked up a Winston Boron 3x 12wt on closeout and a Galvan Rush 12 reel. I had a few issues with that reel (the rod has been great). On 2 occasions I had the spool come off the frame when under a heavy load of a running fish. It happened once when the rod was in a holder when trolling. Before I could even remove the rod from the holder the spool bounced off the transom, off the bracket, and into the water. You can imaging what a cluster that led to. If I had to do it again, I'd have never sold my old Danielsson HD 9thirteen. I had one of those on my 9wt spey rod and sold it because I really never needed a 9wt spey set-up. The Danielsson was a tank and would stop a truck. Looks like they now go for about $300.

Support WFF | Remove the Ads

Support WFF by upgrading your account. Site supporters benefits include no ads and access to some additional features, few now, more in the works. Info

Latest posts