Albacore Roll Call 2021

Nick Clayton

WFF Supporter
Picked up an old Reddington CPX 9' 12 weight rod that I'll probably toss a Reddington Behemouth 11/12 on for once-a-year Tuna trips. Anyone have line suggestions? Something like the Orvis Pro Depth Charge 3D? 20ish feet of T-something and some mono shooting line?

Depth charge is a solid line. Airflo Big Game Depthfinder and Rio Leviathan are also good options.

jasmillo

WFF Supporter
Questions for folks who have done trips out of Westport coming from the Seattle area. I assume the recommendation would be to book a hotel/campsite at least for the night before the trip versus making the early morning drive? How early does the boat generally head out?

Jake

veni, vidi, fishi
Questions for folks who have done trips out of Westport coming from the Seattle area. I assume the recommendation would be to book a hotel/campsite at least for the night before the trip versus making the early morning drive? How early does the boat generally head out?
It depends on weather, but fairly early (I’ve been on the dock as early as 4am). I stay the night before my trips either in my car or in a hotel.

slow_floccer

Does anyone here need a few heads to fill their trip? A buddy and I are looking to get in, plus I'm aware of one other WFF member looking. I'm out of Portland but could head up to Westport if that's needed. Give me a shout if you have a few spots open!

Bagman

I’m going out one day off one day then back out for a last day. I’m staying at a campground close by. I’m retired so I’m not going to push anything, so I’m driving to Westport the day before we go out and setting up camp, up the next day to meet the boat at 8am. Hopefully have some fresh fish for dinner spend the next day resting up to do it again, repeat. Hotels are not cheap durning albacore season

Clarkman

Huge Fly Guy
WFF Supporter
I’m going out one day off one day then back out for a last day. I’m staying at a campground close by. I’m retired so I’m not going to push anything, so I’m driving to Westport the day before we go out and setting up camp, up the next day to meet the boat at 8am. Hopefully have some fresh fish for dinner spend the next day resting up to do it again, repeat. Hotels are not cheap durning albacore season

Would it be advisable to book a campsite now? or is much of it first come/first serve?

Bagman

Would it be advisable to book a campsite now? or is much of it first come/first serve?
I would book ASAP they go fast.

I’m at twin Harbour state park from Sept 6th through Sept 10th. If anyone needs a camp site to crash at durning that time frame I’m sure you could add a car to the site and I would enjoy the company

Last edited:

Jake

veni, vidi, fishi
My reel and line arrived from @Spawnflyfish all rigged up with backing.
@Nick Clayton what's the best way to attach the leader since this fly line does not have a end loop? Make my own loop with heat shrink? Or splice in mono with an albright know?
Thanks,
Lou

View attachment 281236
I’m not @Nick Clayton , and I’ve never stayed at a Holiday Inn Express, but I doubled mine back on itself, wrapped the whole thing with backing that I nail knotted at the beginning and end, and knot sensed it.

Last edited:

bk paige

Wishin I was on the Sauk
Nick or this forum told me to nail knot the backing to running line, and also leader to fly line, did 4' of strait 30# floro and landed a shit tone of fish in 2 days..
I was doubtful at first, but damn did they hold up, and I'm a short pumpin machine, if you know what I mean! :eek:

jasmillo

WFF Supporter
I would book ASAP they go fast.

I’m at twin Harbour state park from Sept 6th through Sept 10th. If anyone needs a camp site to crash at durning that time frame I’m sure you could add a car to the site and I would enjoy the company

My second trip is on the 11th. Looks like I miss you by one day or I’d take you up on that.

Kfish

WFF Supporter
Bagman reminded me about those braided mono loops, been so long since I've had to attach one since most fly line come with a loop nowadays :)
Think I'll go that route.

Support WFF | Remove the Ads

Support WFF by upgrading your account. Site supporters benefits include no ads and access to some additional features, few now, more in the works. Info