Albacore Roll Call 2021

SilverFly

Nanoos is an excellent resource, especially for being free. If they had a more usable mobile site, I'd cancel my Ripcharts subscription.
Nanoos and NVS are great. I still like the simplistic NOAA charts though for the "big picture", if not detailed info before a trip. Looks like the tuna highway was fully connected on Wednesday. Yes, 14C is still on the cool side but does qualify as albacore water.

Keep in mind it's still friggin June - and the forecast record heat wave hasn't even hit yet. When that 14C contour is replaced by 16C water, shits gonna get real in a hurry. At 18C and above, all bets are off as to what kind of offshore visitors we might get from much further south. Screw bluefin, if this trend continues I'll be tying up jet-head flies and other shit for striped marlin.

1624620303830.png
EDIT: Check out NE Pacific hotspot on the latest global NOAA SST anomaly chart...

1624621415937.png

Last edited:

Evan Burck

Fudge Dragon
I'd rather just look at marlin and stick to catchin tunas and the other, more edible exotics like yellowtail and dorado :D

I still don't really think it'll be "small boat" time for another month. but I hope I'm wrong.

Bagman

I’m with you on being able to eat what you catch. That being said a BF, Yellowtail, or a wahoo, would not hurt my feelings at all.

Bagman

Ok so I was looking for something in my tying area and ran across a bag of Clouser dumbbells eyes that I bought when I first set off to tie some flys. Well they were so large that I could not cast the fly with the 7 weight rod that was the biggest I had. So I tie these up to troll for albacore if they were hitting sparse flys. These should get down deeper as they weight about 85 grains each, on the end of a 700 grain Airflo. Sorry I posted this on the wrong thread. Should be on the albacore fly thread, I would move it if I knew how

Attachments

• A5E25696-53F2-4026-9E37-6E2D568018C4.jpeg
    A5E25696-53F2-4026-9E37-6E2D568018C4.jpeg
    1.9 MB · Views: 12
Last edited:

Evan Burck

Fudge Dragon
I’m with you on being able to eat what you catch. That being said a BF, Yellowtail, or a wahoo, would not hurt my feelings at all.
Yeah, for me, marlin was one of those "once was enough" fish. Cool experience I'll remember forever, but when I'm out tuna fishing here, I'm on a mission. Don't need the distractions or time wasted on something I'm not gonna stuff in the ice.

SilverFly

Yeah, for me, marlin was one of those "once was enough" fish. Cool experience I'll remember forever, but when I'm out tuna fishing here, I'm on a mission. Don't need the distractions or time wasted on something I'm not gonna stuff in the ice.

Marlin is something I'd definitely like to scratch off my bucket list, but not really an "obsession" like bluefin. Never really found the classic tease-and-switch fly thing super appealing. OTOH, there's something about releasing a PNW marlin on fly gear, even a trolled fly, that would be incredible. I dunno, maybe I've just got a thing for unicorns.

On that subject, looking closer at the current SST anomaly hot spot that's halfway between here and Hawai'i, makes me wonder if we might be in for a lot more Opah (aka Hawaiian Moonfish) than normal this year. Now that's a fish that would definitely be going into the cooler.

NE_Pacific_SST_Anomaly_062321.png

cabezon

Sculpin Enterprises
WFF Supporter
Marlin is something I'd definitely like to scratch off my bucket list, but not really an "obsession" like bluefin. Never really found the classic tease-and-switch fly thing super appealing. OTOH, there's something about releasing a PNW marlin on fly gear, even a trolled fly, that would be incredible. I dunno, maybe I've just got a thing for unicorns.

On that subject, looking closer at the current SST anomaly hot spot that's halfway between here and Hawai'i, makes me wonder if we might be in for a lot more Opah (aka Hawaiian Moonfish) than normal this year. Now that's a fish that would definitely be going into the cooler.

View attachment 286554
But the visual of a massive top predator smashing your fly would pump up the heart rate.
Steve

Bagman

But the visual of a massive top predator smashing your fly would pump up the heart rate.
Steve
Or just seeing a Marlin grab a fly and then what seems like only 2 seconds it is flying through the air about 200-300 yards away, and even at that distance you can still see the fly as he spits it through the air and he’s gone. Not my fish but it was a thrill to watch none the less.

Last edited:

Jake

veni, vidi, fishi
So, I keep seeing references to how stinky albacore are. Is it the usual saltwater fish smell but stronger, or more like the “I kind of regret catching this” barracuda stank?

Matt B

WFF Supporter
So, I keep seeing references to how stinky albacore are. Is it the usual saltwater fish smell but stronger, or more like the “I kind of regret catching this” barracuda stank?
I think it’s just that they’re real bloody when you land and dispatch them, and then real oily when processing.

Matt B

WFF Supporter
If you’re really getting into them, fish might be stacking up on the deck, some are still beating their tails relentlessly on the deck too, and stuff is just kind of flying around splashing and spraying and whatnot, and you have to keep fishing!

Evan Burck

Fudge Dragon
Albacore is its own brand. It's more an issue of when you process them at home or get the oils all over you on the boat. I have plastic cutting boards and coolers with perma stank on them. I have a t-shirt I wore while carking some last year that I had to throw away even after soaking in vinegar and any other trick I could find.

Jake

veni, vidi, fishi
Albacore is its own brand. It's more an issue of when you process them at home or get the oils all over you on the boat. I have plastic cutting boards and coolers with perma stank on them. I have a t-shirt I wore while carking some last year that I had to throw away even after soaking in vinegar and any other trick I could find.
Thanks, Evan!

Matt B

WFF Supporter
Haha yeah same for some shorts I had. I hung them in the garage for 6+ months...still stinky! Any rags used in cleaning fish—thrown out.

Support WFF | Remove the Ads

Support WFF by upgrading your account. Site supporters benefits include no ads and access to some additional features, few now, more in the works. Info

Latest posts