Albacore Roll Call 2021

Bagman

Just my thoughts on back up rods, reels. I bought two reels that are the exact the same models and size this way I have backup spools and if something breaks on one reel I still have a working reel if they both break hopefully it’s not the same part and you can make one of them work. Same goes with back up rods if both break hopefully it’s a different section so you can make one whole out of the two. Don’t thank it doesn’t happen I talked to a guy that broke two rods in 30 minutes on a 10 day boat trip, he also suggested I not but TFO rods.

flybill

A collector never stops collecting!
WFF Supporter
Just my thoughts on back up rods, reels. I bought two reels that are the exact the same models and size this way I have backup spools and if something breaks on one reel I still have a working reel if they both break hopefully it’s not the same part and you can make one of them work. Same goes with back up rods if both break hopefully it’s a different section so you can make one whole out of the two. Don’t thank it doesn’t happen I talked to a guy that broke two rods in 30 minutes on a 10 day boat trip, he also suggested I not but TFO rods.
I agree, it's best to have two identical reels not just spools. And a backup line or two as well. I've got a lot of people who have done these trips, but I'm ready for to do my first bigger trip in the tropics and a tuna trip or two.. just have to make it happen!

Nick Clayton

WFF Supporter
@tallguy and @jasmillo came out yesterday and unfortunately it was a slow day for everyone. We ended up with just 5 fish, which while slow was better than several other charters proving once again that fly rods are just as capable as anything.

Unfortunately today, a day later, it blew wide open. I won't even mention how many I caught myself casting off the bow. It was insane. The fish were suicidal. I fished two colors of half and half patterns and a couple Spawn flies all day, and they were absolutely destroying them. I also grabbed the rod with the floater and grabbed one on a popper just for grins.

I put the new Echo Boost Blue through its paces today and that rod is an absolute beast!

What a day. Unfortunately weather is moving in and it's nasty offshore the next few days.

Everyone did well today, but again we out fished several other charters fishing bait.

So bummed we didn't have this yesterday. That crew would have done some major work today with this kind of fishing!

_DSC5095-01.jpeg _DSC5057-01.jpeg DSC01370-01.jpeg _DSC5098_1-01.jpeg

jasmillo

WFF Supporter
@tallguy and @jasmillo came out yesterday and unfortunately it was a slow day for everyone. We ended up with just 5 fish, which while slow was better than several other charters proving once again that fly rods are just as capable as anything.

Unfortunately today, a day later, it blew wide open. I won't even mention how many I caught myself casting off the bow. It was insane. The fish were suicidal. I fished two colors of half and half patterns and a couple Spawn flies all day, and they were absolutely destroying them. I also grabbed the rod with the floater and grabbed one on a popper just for grins.

I put the new Echo Boost Blue through its paces today and that rod is an absolute beast!

What a day. Unfortunately weather is moving in and it's nasty offshore the next few days.

Everyone did well today, but again we out fished several other charters fishing bait.

So bummed we didn't have this yesterday. That crew would have done some major work today with this kind of fishing!

View attachment 292208 View attachment 292209 View attachment 292210 View attachment 292211

Awesome to hear it turned on today. Although slow yesterday…especially for the sole guy on the boat who did not touch a fish (cough, cough…that would be me), it was still an awesome trip. So cool being out there and even watching a tuna check out and reject a fly I was stripping from the bow was exciting.

Really looking forward to my second trip in September. Since I got the fin from them this trip, I’ll be heading out there with the mentality of John Wick, just picturing an albacore killing my dog the whole run to the fishing grounds :).

SilverFly

Awesome to hear it turned on today. Although slow yesterday…especially for the sole guy on the boat who did not touch a fish (cough, cough…that would be me), it was still an awesome trip. So cool being out there and even watching a tuna check out and reject a fly I was stripping from the bow was exciting.

Really looking forward to my second trip in September. Since I got the fin from them this trip, I’ll be heading out there with the mentality of John Wick, just picturing an albacore killing my dog the whole run to the fishing grounds :).

Bummer you didn't hook up but glad you got to experience the visual aspect of the fishery - which is a real surprise to some. Conditions don't always lend themselves to seeing the takes and rejections, but when they do it can be stunning.

Getting up on the bow with fish under the boat, on a calm day, with the sun high and behind you, and it's like looking into the worlds largest aquarium. You know the water is clear when 25 pound fish look like tiny smolts zipping around at depth. And yes, it sucks seeing those last second, high-speed refusals but that's what keeps it interesting.

Clarkman

Huge Fly Guy
WFF Supporter
Such a tease Phil lol

ok, I'll jump in.....a few were caught

Q05QXII.jpg

don't mind if I do....doesn't get fresher than that!
zvpJ2gy.jpg

more to come later...

Support WFF | Remove the Ads

Support WFF by upgrading your account. Site supporters benefits include no ads and access to some additional features, few now, more in the works. Info

Latest posts