Albacore Roll Call 2021

Evan Burck

Fudge Dragon
You'd be surprised how hard it can be to fill a private boat. Everyone wants to be on "the list" until it's game time. One or two days "heads up" and you give the 3am wakeup call (or in Sean's case, leaving his place at like 11pm and taking a nap before departure. The list goes really short when it's actually time to do the damn thing.

Unlike Nick, I can only go during very specific conditions, and you can't really tell until it's about time to start buying ice.

(and no, this isn't an invite to shoot me PMs to take people I don't know :p )

Last edited:

Jake

You'd be surprised how hard it can be to fill a private boat. Everyone wants to be on "the list" until it's game time. One or two days "heads up" and you give the 3am wakeup call (or in Sean's case, leaving his place at like 11pm and taking a nap before departure. The list goes really short when it's actually time to do the damn thing.

Unlike Nick, I can only go during very specific conditions, and you can't really tell until it's about time to start buying ice.

That may be true for some, but for me if it’s something I plan now, I can build my summer around it. Late August/early September seems to have both historically the best alignment of numbers and weather, but I defer to the judgement of more experienced others.

I think our next step is to make a poll to see what dates work, and call Merry to book ‘em.

Evan Burck

Fudge Dragon
That may be true for some, but for me if it’s something I plan now, I can build my summer around it. Late August/early September seems to have both historically the best alignment of numbers and weather, but I defer to the judgement of more experienced others.

I think our next step is to make a poll to see what dates work, and call Merry to book ‘em.
we're talking about different things. Other guys are talking about booking dates on Nick's boat (which everyone should absolutely do). I was talking about my personal, non guide boat. It's much smaller than what Nick takes, so I have to make the call 1-2 days out vs something like Nick's boat where you can be 80%+ certain that you'll be able to get out within a specific date range.

at this point I'm just a distraction in the thread :D

GOTY

8x Puget Sound Steelhead Guide of the Year

PM sent.

That’s pretty close to how I looked after driving to OR at night and sleeping in my truck for a couple hours.
I'm going to sleep so well while you drive. Just keep it under 65 and avoid potholes so my elbow is well rested for roping.

Jake

we're talking about different things. Other guys are talking about booking dates on Nick's boat (which everyone should absolutely do). I was talking about my personal, non guide boat. It's much smaller than what Nick takes, so I have to make the call 1-2 days out vs something like Nick's boat where you can be 80%+ certain that you'll be able to get out within a specific date range.

at this point I'm just a distraction in the thread :D
Maybe. More likely I was unable to wrap my brain around the idea of a person being so lucky as to have a boat that can do that. Screw the Lotto, you’ve got it made!

Evan Burck

Fudge Dragon
Maybe. More likely I was unable to wrap my brain around the idea of a person being so lucky as to have a boat that can do that. Screw the Lotto, you’ve got it made!
Hah. You'd be surprised what can make the trip if you pick the right days. I once did it in a 20' river sled with a tiller because the ocean was as flat as its ever been. Not that I endorse anyone else trying it.

Attachments

• 20190808_081454.jpg
    20190808_081454.jpg
    2.6 MB · Views: 45
  • 20190808_123859.jpg
    20190808_123859.jpg
    2.9 MB · Views: 44
  • 20190808_124250.jpg
    20190808_124250.jpg
    1.6 MB · Views: 44

Jake

Hah. You'd be surprised what can make the trip if you pick the right days. I once did it in a 20' river sled with a tiller because the ocean was as flat as its ever been. Not that I endorse anyone else trying it.
I guess. Don’t think I’d have enough faith in the weather-guessers to risk myself in my 18’ Lund, though.

Dave Boyle

And if you go out with @Nick Clayton, who skippers for All Rivers, he will have a 12 wt or two on board that he generously shares.
Steve
I’m just worried re breakage, I put a clouser through the 2’ section of a 9 wt T&T when queen fishing in Dubai. I’m sure they had it warrantied but charged me $250...

All said I’m in for this, a hell of a good time to sell 12 was in the classifieds :cool: I could do a day for sure.

Dave

Nick Clayton

WFF Supporter
My gear gets used, hard. Im also not spending huge money on rods that live in a charter boat and get abused with albacore. Rod breakage is not a worry my man. Last season I kept 3 twelve weight setups on board. I plan to add one more this year so I'll have plenty to share.

Nick Clayton

WFF Supporter
Nick, you should do a seminar at the Fly Fishing show, if there is one this year!

I don't believe the FF show is going on this year.

Last winter I did a presentation on fly fishing for albacore for the South Sound fly fishers club. A few forum members were present.

Made a power point, which I still have, and overall it seemed to be pretty well received. I have more pics and info and such to fine tune my presentation, especially after a season of so many fly trips....unfortunately with covid there hasn't been much opportunity for such things.

Support WFF | Remove the Ads

Support WFF by upgrading your account. Site supporters benefits include no ads and access to some additional features, few now, more in the works. Info

Latest posts