Albacore Roll Call 2021

Evan Burck

Fudge Dragon
See, this guy can't be trusted. I friggen knew you were running a Navionics app.
haha... is that something you guys actually check for guys running while they're on your boat? i always run navionics as my backup nav.

edit: I also just like an hour ago got my annual renewal reminder from Navionics in my email. What a coincidence.

Last edited:

Nick Clayton

WFF Supporter
haha... is that something you guys actually check for guys running while they're on your boat? i always run navionics as my backup nav.

Not really, except when bottom fishing. For tuna and salmon it doesn't matter one bit, since those fish are constantly moving, but with lingcod its a bit more sensitive.

Its not something we bring up or make a stink about ahead of time but we are vigilant in at least keeping an eye out. Ive seen people use them a time or two to try to mark spots. In that case we tend to either mention it, or simply fish the super popular spots everyone knows about. A good lingcod rock that has been hunted out can be quickly picked clean and over exposed, so we try to be careful.

A bigger problem is sport boats marking our location either using radar or by simply cruising right up to where we are fishing, laying down a way point, then taking off. That's super annoying.

Other boats are super concerned about people using apps and marking spots, and its a big breach in etiquette. This last season one of the big charters, THE best in the business for bottom fishing, had a customer spotted by a deckhand marking a little known lingcod spot. The deck hand informed the skipper who came out of the wheelhouse and snatched the phone right out of the customers hand, took it back to the wheelhouse where he tried to open it to delete what was saved. It was password protected and the skipper got so pissed he through it right out the window into the drink. A brand new IPhone. I know this crew well, and this most definitely happened. Skipper had to buy the dude a new phone lol.

The Navionics app is great. Makes a great backup for sure. 2 seasons ago I had to use it a small handful of times to get back home from tuna trips when I was having electronics issues. Using it as a customer to try to find bottomfishing spots that a skipper has worked for years to find is pretty lame IMO.

thatguyryry

So, I think this was covered in the "what we learned" thread. But gear wise, we are talking about 12 wt, with some depth charge line and some reel with a quality drag right? If you were to prioritize the purchases for a trip like this, how would you wank those?

bk paige

Wishin I was on the Sauk
So, I think this was covered in the "what we learned" thread. But gear wise, we are talking about 12 wt, with some depth charge line and some reel with a quality drag right? If you were to prioritize the purchases for a trip like this, how would you wank those?

My thought on rod is make sure it has a fore grip or longer grip, I used a 12 and 14, liked the 14 better because of the longer grip.
Reel I would be more concerned with capacity than what kind of drag. while fast they didn't blow my mind, I think that fly line creats a lot of drag.
The leviathan worked great and most of had that line.

TFO, Echo, Reddington all have rods and reels that are up to snuff if looking for inexpensive, or you could go high end, Charlton, Winston, TNT, Sage.

Bagman

#1 get the best rod you can afford I watch a guy land a nice yellow fin Tuna that would have gone about 20-35 lbs on a Echo Badass glass12wt. #2 the reel it needs to be able to hold 300-500 yards of backing, I use Gel Spun, 45-65 lb. you should be able to get at least 2X as gel spun as 30lb Dacron. As for a fly line you can try and pick up a used line on line between now and then.

Kfish

WFF Supporter
Not really, except when bottom fishing. For tuna and salmon it doesn't matter one bit, since those fish are constantly moving, but with lingcod its a bit more sensitive.

Its not something we bring up or make a stink about ahead of time but we are vigilant in at least keeping an eye out. Ive seen people use them a time or two to try to mark spots. In that case we tend to either mention it, or simply fish the super popular spots everyone knows about. A good lingcod rock that has been hunted out can be quickly picked clean and over exposed, so we try to be careful.

A bigger problem is sport boats marking our location either using radar or by simply cruising right up to where we are fishing, laying down a way point, then taking off. That's super annoying.

Other boats are super concerned about people using apps and marking spots, and its a big breach in etiquette. This last season one of the big charters, THE best in the business for bottom fishing, had a customer spotted by a deckhand marking a little known lingcod spot. The deck hand informed the skipper who came out of the wheelhouse and snatched the phone right out of the customers hand, took it back to the wheelhouse where he tried to open it to delete what was saved. It was password protected and the skipper got so pissed he through it right out the window into the drink. A brand new IPhone. I know this crew well, and this most definitely happened. Skipper had to buy the dude a new phone lol.

The Navionics app is great. Makes a great backup for sure. 2 seasons ago I had to use it a small handful of times to get back home from tuna trips when I was having electronics issues. Using it as a customer to try to find bottomfishing spots that a skipper has worked for years to find is pretty lame IMO.
Cpt Clay Sheward told me he did that once when I was fishing with him in Galveston for reds.
He caught a guy gps tagging his spots, took his phone, threw it in the marsh and took him right back :)

SilverFly

I’m down this year for a trip or two or three as I totally missed out last year. Thanks again Silverfly for getting things started.
Thanks Dennis. Even I after the amazing successes we had last year, I gotta admit I'm shocked at the response thus far. I was expecting a half-dozen or so initial "recruits", with a few more trickling in over the next few months. And here we are not even a week later and several crews are already on the books - of which I'm on 3 already. Being a whiney little bitch finally paid off! Whoo hoo! ;)

Last edited:

GOTY

8x Puget Sound Steelhead Guide of the Year
Thanks Dennis. Even I after the amazing successes we had last year, I gotta admit I'm shocked at the response thus far. I was expecting a half-dozen or so initial "recruits", with a few more trickling in over the next few months. And here we are not even a week later and several crews are already on the books - of which I'm on 3 already! Being a whiney little bitch finally paid off! Whoo hoo! ;)
Between a COTY (Nick) and a GOTY (GOTY), you might just find your blue fin this year

SilverFly

Between a COTY (Nick) and a GOTY (GOTY), you might just find your blue fin this year
I'll take all the help I can get. COTY/GOTY mojo, juju, whatever. At this point I'd just be happy to see one. I've missed seeing "garbage can" tuna jump on two trips I've been on so far. The frustrating part is the optimal fly-rod size fish (30-70#) seem to be MIA here in the PNW. We only seem to be getting peanuts (10-20#) schooling with albacore, or tackle busting tanks like the one that dragged a boat around for 2 hours last summer.

Bagman

@SliverFly last year you gave me a swivel which I had no idea just where to install it. Could you help me out a little on placement of said swivel please.

Support WFF | Remove the Ads

Support WFF by upgrading your account. Site supporters benefits include no ads and access to some additional features, few now, more in the works. Info

Latest posts